Convert Power Seats to Manual - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

2010-2014 Mustang News on the Previous Generation Mustang

Convert Power Seats to Manual

Reply

 
 
 
Old 8/5/18, 08:48 PM
  #1  
Cobra R Member
Thread Starter
 
kylerohde's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 6, 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 1,836
Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Convert Power Seats to Manual

Hey guys -
Been doing a lot of searching but haven't found a good answer yet. I've already replaced the power seat assembly on the driver's side for about $700 at the dealer and now, my passenger one is out. We've got our first baby coming in November so I will be constantly moving that thing back & forth, so I'd just as soon have a good old manual sliding seat. Does anybody know if it's possible to keep my existing seat and just convert the track to manual? I am looking on FordParts.com and can't even find a seat track that's not power.

Thanks in advance!
kylerohde is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8/5/18, 10:00 PM
  #2  
Play Date Madam
TMS Staff
 
laserred38's Avatar
 
Join Date: January 6, 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 12,817
Thanked 160 Times in 135 Posts
You want to try my VIN? I have the Recaros and they're manual driver and passenger. Zero power adjustments on mine. I'd think the tracks should be the same for the regular seats.
laserred38 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8/5/18, 10:11 PM
  #3  
Cobra R Member
Thread Starter
 
kylerohde's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 6, 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 1,836
Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
You want to try my VIN? I have the Recaros and they're manual driver and passenger. Zero power adjustments on mine. I'd think the tracks should be the same for the regular seats.
Love to - share however you'd like. Thanks!
kylerohde is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8/5/18, 10:17 PM
  #4  
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!
 
houtex's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 2, 2004
Location: Insane
Posts: 5,611
Thanked 119 Times in 104 Posts
Absolutely.

The seats are the same. The tracks mounted underneath them are the difference. Well, that and the side panel. Four bolts (or is it nuts?) attach the seats to the tracks, and you can swap them out at will. Well, mostly. You'll need to swap things like the seat buckle maybe, or the springs what help it move forward...

Here's the fordparts.com link for the manual seat track for your car, Kyle:
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/tr...tionId:4369025

Proof the seats are the same:
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/fr...tionId:4369025

Pick 'Sections' and you'll see the same part for the base uses either the power or the manual frames. I can't say as to whether the side panel of the seat will work with the manual tracks. I would suppose it would, but no practical experience.

Of course, you can just go to a pick a part/salvage yard what has a 2005-14 (they all use the same part) wreck that has the manual passenger seat and get that track and panel that way... 8 total bolts and leave the seat in the car. I'd be *very* inclined as a new one is... ouch.

Oh yeah... part number is AR3Z-6361704-A. Lookin' it up it shows all model years 05-14, so I'm pretty sure I'm right...?

Hope some of that helps ya!

Last edited by houtex; 8/5/18 at 10:32 PM.
houtex is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to houtex For This Useful Post:
kylerohde (8/6/18)
Old 8/6/18, 07:40 AM
  #5  
Cobra R Member
Thread Starter
 
kylerohde's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 6, 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 1,836
Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex View Post
Absolutely.

The seats are the same. The tracks mounted underneath them are the difference. Well, that and the side panel. Four bolts (or is it nuts?) attach the seats to the tracks, and you can swap them out at will. Well, mostly. You'll need to swap things like the seat buckle maybe, or the springs what help it move forward...

Here's the fordparts.com link for the manual seat track for your car, Kyle:
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/tr...tionId:4369025

Proof the seats are the same:
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/fr...tionId:4369025

Pick 'Sections' and you'll see the same part for the base uses either the power or the manual frames. I can't say as to whether the side panel of the seat will work with the manual tracks. I would suppose it would, but no practical experience.

Of course, you can just go to a pick a part/salvage yard what has a 2005-14 (they all use the same part) wreck that has the manual passenger seat and get that track and panel that way... 8 total bolts and leave the seat in the car. I'd be *very* inclined as a new one is... ouch.

Oh yeah... part number is AR3Z-6361704-A. Lookin' it up it shows all model years 05-14, so I'm pretty sure I'm right...?

Hope some of that helps ya!
This is fantastic. Thank you! Will report back!
kylerohde is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8/6/18, 09:04 PM
  #6  
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!
 
houtex's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 2, 2004
Location: Insane
Posts: 5,611
Thanked 119 Times in 104 Posts
"One is glad to be of service." - Andrew Martin.

houtex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8/7/18, 12:38 AM
  #7  
Cobra R Member
 
PJRManagement's Avatar
 
Join Date: December 16, 2011
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Posts: 1,982
Thanked 45 Times in 39 Posts
When searching salvage, be sure to keep in mind that the seat tracks are different Coupe vs. Convertible.
PJRManagement is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8/8/18, 08:05 AM
  #8  
I tweaked the button...
...and got lucky!
 
houtex's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 2, 2004
Location: Insane
Posts: 5,611
Thanked 119 Times in 104 Posts
Ok, this intrigues me. The seats in the back are certainly different, but I can't figure out why the fronts would be...?

Further, the listing in fordparts does not specify this. I think you're thinkin' of the back seats. But I'm ready to be enlightened.
houtex is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8/9/18, 08:32 PM
  #9  
Cobra Member
 
TheReaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: August 27, 2007
Location: Southern Al
Posts: 1,483
Thanked 25 Times in 21 Posts
Congrats on the offspring, Kyle.
TheReaper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8/12/18, 08:59 PM
  #10  
Cobra R Member
Thread Starter
 
kylerohde's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 6, 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 1,836
Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
Congrats on the offspring, Kyle.
Thanks man. Already got my favorite part of the registry ready to go 😎

Convert Power Seats to Manual-photo110.jpg
kylerohde is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8/12/18, 09:58 PM
  #11  
Play Date Madam
TMS Staff
 
laserred38's Avatar
 
Join Date: January 6, 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 12,817
Thanked 160 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
Thanks man. Already got my favorite part of the registry ready to go 😎

Attachment 212306
Haha awesome! We had the police car version!
laserred38 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8/15/18, 05:07 PM
  #12  
Cobra R Member
Thread Starter
 
kylerohde's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 6, 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 1,836
Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts
(placeholder for later)

Last edited by kylerohde; 8/15/18 at 05:10 PM.
kylerohde is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8/16/18, 06:56 AM
  #13  
Mach 1 Member
 
WhiteBird00's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 27, 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 669
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Bear in mind that a lot of people have complained about how low the manual passenger seat is compared to the power version. If you have a short passenger, they may find the manual seat uncomfortably low (people have commented about not being able to see over the dash). I wonder if a manual track out of another model might fit?
WhiteBird00 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 8/16/18, 09:01 AM
  #14  
Play Date Madam
TMS Staff
 
laserred38's Avatar
 
Join Date: January 6, 2006
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 12,817
Thanked 160 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Bear in mind that a lot of people have complained about how low the manual passenger seat is compared to the power version. If you have a short passenger, they may find the manual seat uncomfortably low (people have commented about not being able to see over the dash). I wonder if a manual track out of another model might fit?
Yep. The gals that have been in my passenger seat can't really see over the dash lol
laserred38 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8/16/18, 09:06 AM
  #15  
Cobra R Member
Thread Starter
 
kylerohde's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 6, 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 1,836
Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00 View Post
Bear in mind that a lot of people have complained about how low the manual passenger seat is compared to the power version. If you have a short passenger, they may find the manual seat uncomfortably low (people have commented about not being able to see over the dash). I wonder if a manual track out of another model might fit?
Yeah, I am sure my 5'4" wife won't love it but she won't be riding in it very often either. I can't see how a seat track out of another model would work, as the base of the track has four pretty precise bolt locations that they need to match up with.
kylerohde is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8/16/18, 09:23 AM
  #16  
Shelby GT350 Member
 
SpectreH's Avatar
 
Join Date: February 5, 2015
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 2,250
Thanked 232 Times in 208 Posts
I've seen "seat lift kits" on the web before that raise the entire seat up a bit.
SpectreH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8/16/18, 10:03 AM
  #17  
Cobra R Member
Thread Starter
 
kylerohde's Avatar
 
Join Date: September 6, 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 1,836
Thanked 36 Times in 30 Posts
Well, I have the job 95% done. It wasn't too bad, honestly. I wish I'd taken more pictures for a step by step but, basically, you've got to detach the seat cushion enough that you can get to the four bolts holding the track to the rest of the seat. Obviously, you've got to carefully disconnect all the electrical connectors too, as well as the plastic trim piece on the outside of the seat that has the manual seatback handle + the power seat control. From there, it's really just reassembling the whole thing to match the way the power seat was set up...with one caveat.

The '07 manual seat I got from the junkyard did not have an airbag position sensor, which is on the inside (left for the passenger) of the seat towards the front. That sensor uses a magnet to tell the car's computer where the seat is and controls the airbag accordingly. I had to drill a couple holes into the manual seat track to replicate what was on the newer power seat (see picture #4 below. I've got it back in place and everything seems to be functioning like it should - no airbag warning lights. When you're done, there should only be one electrical plug that's not connected anymore - the one that is for the power seat motor. I'm not sure yet if the heated seat will still work - need to check that.



Side by side comparison of the manual seat and the power seat. Yes, my donor seat is a bit rusty, unfortunately but hey, for $30 for the entire seat, I won't complain.



What you're left with after removing the seat track.



This is how far you have to take apart the cushion on both the donor and the good seat so you can get to four bolts holding the track on. Don't worry, it's scarier than it looks. The cover reattaches really easily.



You can see the two fresh holes I had to drill for the airbag position sensor. Pretty easy job - you just have to make sure you match the holes on the power seat track perfectly, as the sensor basically sits on top of the seat rail and moves with the seat.



Here's what the fully reassembled seat looks like - the two plugs (one yellow, one black) in the middle are the last connections you make, to their counterparts coming up out of the floor of the car.

A look at the airbag position sensor now in place.

This was an easier job than I expected - probably took me about 4 hours total - though if I could get a replacement power seat track for <$400, I'd probably still get that so I could preserve the up/down functionality. However, I can't find that part for less than $700 and that just isn't worth it to me knowing how crappy these seat motors are to begin with. Hope this helps somebody!

The 5% I still have left is that I screwed up the threads on the floor of the car for the front seat mounting bolt so I guess I may have to Heli-Coli that. Ugh.

Last edited by kylerohde; 8/16/18 at 10:04 AM.
kylerohde is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 8/16/18, 12:44 PM
  #18  
Mach 1 Member
 
WhiteBird00's Avatar
 
Join Date: July 27, 2010
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 669
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde View Post
Yeah, I am sure my 5'4" wife won't love it but she won't be riding in it very often either. I can't see how a seat track out of another model would work, as the base of the track has four pretty precise bolt locations that they need to match up with.
Moot point now that you have the replacements but I bet you'd be surprised how many other models might use the same mounting points. For example, the seats in a Fusion aren't all that different (overall size not trim) so the tracks might have the same mount positions but would put the seat higher.
WhiteBird00 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
benbuilder
1st and 2nd Generations
2
8/24/17 12:08 PM
iceD
2010-2014 Mustang
10
8/28/15 09:20 PM
silverGTstang281
1994-2004 V-8
2
12/25/05 08:17 AM
yoboy_05
1994-2004 V-6
3
7/29/05 05:38 PM
67gt
1st and 2nd Generations
3
5/10/05 08:14 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors