2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Continental Extreme DWS Good?

Old 6/21/11, 01:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Continental Extreme DWS Good?

My 2010 GT has about 15,000 miles on it and for some reason the 19" Pirelli Zero all season tires that came with the car are almost worn!

I don't like the Pirellis as I don't think they are great in the rain and even though I don't drive it in the snow, when the temps get below 40 they don't hold the road for crap.

I went to Mavis Tire and they have Continentals Extreme DWS which look nice but for 4 tires, mounting, balance and tax you are looking at over $1000. Seems like because of the speed rating of the stock tires there are not alot of choices for replacement tires.

Anyone have the DWS on their Mustang and are they any good or better than the Pirelli ? Thanks.

JC
Old 6/21/11, 05:41 PM
V6 Member

Hi Jocatch, I currently drive DWS on my both Volkswagen (not on my GT500), and for me, they are the perfect overall sport touring tires, for the sportiness of my both Volks, they are perfect.

But for the power/handling of a sport car like your Mustang, I would go with the DW instead. In fact, for me, if money was no object, the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 would be the best choice.

But the DW offer a very good bang for the buck, and they are summer only so they better stick than the DWS, and their sidewall is stiffer.

Hope it helps you.
Old 6/21/11, 07:24 PM

I dont have them on the Mustang, but I just put the DWS on my girlfriends G35 and they have been great so far. They are better in every way over the Goodyears that were on previously. They handle great on dry ground, and i was impressed how good they are in the rain. The biggest improvement, however, is how quiet they are. Virtually silent over road joints and cruising at 80 compared to the Goodyears. I plan on getting the DW's for the summer when i get new wheels.
Old 6/21/11, 08:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Loved my previous Extreme DW tires on my 5.0, had to changed them to a different Conti model due to larger needs for the back with different wheels.
Old 6/21/11, 10:56 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Went with Continental Extreme Contact DWS's on my supercharged '07 GT. Awesome wet weather performance (I live in Seattle), better than stock dry weather performance, and decent snow traction. I ran 255/45/18's at all 4 corners...

Old 6/22/11, 03:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
I have been looking around for tires and liked those along with the reviews on them, just that no one had them in the size I needed when I ordered tires last week. But you might want to check some of the online places, Tirerack has those for $764 before shipping.
I ended up going with the Hancook Ventus V4's since I need an all season tire.
Old 6/22/11, 06:03 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Have the DWS Continentals on my 2011 GT500. Great all-season tire. Much better than the stock Goodyears. If you drive in winter temps, this is the tire for you. Dry, wet and cold handling is superior to the stock summer only Goodyears. Get a set, you won't look back.
Old 6/22/11, 08:24 AM
V6 Member

Continental tires are reputated to be very quiet tires, just like Michelin tire's are, but for much cheaper as Michelin is well overpriced.
Old 6/22/11, 09:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Regarding noise, I have Magnaflow exhaust so I doubt that the tire noise would be a problem.

The DW looks good but I am afraid at low winter temps they would be just as bad as the Pirellis I have now which are an all season tire. The DWS sounds good for year round but probably are not as good as the DW on a hot summer day. The DW are alot more $$ too than the DWS.

The DWS thread looks like it would be much better in the rain than the DW. So I think the deciding factor would be which does better in the rain.

Thankfully I have a couple of months before I have to decide.

JC
Old 6/22/11, 11:32 AM
Cur
V6 Member

DWS are great tires, have them on the wifes SC430 (300 hp V8 rwd coupe) and they have been nothing but fantastic. Had them on a Volvo C70 (sloooooow) thru 2 winters up here in New England and liked them better over than the previous Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+. (and they are cheaper!)
Will be putting them on my 2012 unless I end up going snow tires & rims / summer tires & rims route.

Last edited by Cur; 6/22/11 at 11:33 AM.
Old 6/22/11, 01:32 PM
V6 Member

How is the steering response with the dws?....Tire rack reviews have some people complaining about slow/sloppy response???
Old 6/22/11, 01:38 PM
V6 Member

DWS are not aggressive tires, let say like Bridgestone Potenza per example, with much stiffer sidewall. But they offer great compromise, and for the pricethey are unbeatable. I run them in 235/35ZR19 on y Passat and 225/40ZR18 on my Golf. For my purpose, it's more than enough...
Old 6/22/11, 07:04 PM
Cur
V6 Member

Originally Posted by kws6000
How is the steering response with the dws?....Tire rack reviews have some people complaining about slow/sloppy response???
They aren't race tires, they are all season tires. They are great for day to day daily driving. I do some spirited back road cruising and on-ramp highway entries and they are more than enough for me.
Old 6/24/11, 07:27 AM
Bullitt Member

I have had the Conti's on many of my cars and they are great tires and good tread life. these will be my first choice when it comes to replace the P's but I will be going with the DW's as I run full snows in the winter. I have found that all seasons to be a compromise especially when it comes to handling outside of everyday driving (read spirited!).

In short whether you go DW or DWS the Conti's you won't be sorry.
Old 6/24/11, 07:51 AM
Bullitt Member

I put the DWS on my 96 Cobra and loved them since day one. They've got some fairly spirited street driving on them, and a few thousand highway miles. No complaints at all. They are most likely what I will be putting on my Shelby in the near future.
Old 6/24/11, 10:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

I would go with the Conti DWs, better dry and still decent in the wet. Excellent tire either way..

Dave
Old 1/4/12, 09:31 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
I'm about to upgrade from the stock Pirelli P Zero all-seasons to Continental ExtremeContact DW. They retail for $251 each (255/40 19) on TireRack.com, and the Ford dealer will price-match. I've read good reviews, and for a summer performance tire, the price is good. I can't speak to the DWS all-seasons, don't need that kind of tire in Las Vegas! Once they are installed I'll post pics.

Last edited by PJRManagement; 1/4/12 at 09:34 PM.
Old 1/5/12, 01:16 AM

I owned a set on my stock rims on my Evo X before i sold it. The tires are amazing. They are quiet, a super smooth ride, and extremely grippy for all season tires. I used them in idaho all winter long and was very happy with the performance in snow considering that they work great on the track too. I'd buy them for daily driver tires for sure. FYI They are very soft rubber and won't hold up long if you are spinning the wheels.
Old 1/5/12, 05:41 AM
Bullitt Member

I went out and bought a set last month, got them from Ford for about $1000 for everything (includes a $100 rebate).

So far they handle alot better in low temps than the Pirellis. Overall they handle better and in th rain too. But at 60 MPH or more on some roads I feel a slight vibration. Not sure if it is the balance or road ruts being felt thru the sideways. I have not had any snow here yet to test.

JC
Old 1/5/12, 07:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by jocatch
I went out and bought a set last month, got them from Ford for about $1000 for everything (includes a $100 rebate).

So far they handle alot better in low temps than the Pirellis. Overall they handle better and in th rain too. But at 60 MPH or more on some roads I feel a slight vibration. Not sure if it is the balance or road ruts being felt thru the sideways. I have not had any snow here yet to test.

JC
jocatch: Sounds like the tire (s) weren't properly balanced. There should be no vibration at 60mph with well balanced tires. Go back to the dealer with your concern. They should re-check all four tires w/o cost to you. One tire may have thrown a weight, (happens quite often). This should solve your issue. My DWS's are smooth as glass at all highway speeds and are very quiet, to boot. You made a good choice. Good luck and let us know what the outcome is on the balance issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Continental Extreme DWS Good?