2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Clutch Stuck to Floor

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/11, 08:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was accelerating in 3rd gear to pass someone on a two lane road and after I passed them slowed down quickly so that I wasn't speeding around the corner. As I was finishing slowing down and depressed the clutch to change gear it became "stuck" to the floor. The range of motion was from fully depressed to about 2 inches released (most of the clutch travel was gone). Gears would still engage but it took a couple minutes of driving and lots of me pumping the clutch pedal for it to fully release and go back to its full range of motion. The tranmission warning light never came on and there weren't any grinding noises or shake coming from the clutch or transmission. Not sure why this happened but found it a little worrisome. I have 1600 miles on the car so far. I am going to be adding the steeda tri-ax and shift bracket but don't want Ford blaming clutch failure on me adding those parts so I am going to call them today and explain what happened with the clutch and try to figure out why this happened before I add those parts. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their clutch? Car is a 2012 GT Manual. Thanks!

EDIT: I know the clutch and brake fluid resevoir is the same but surely hard braking shouldn't make the clutch stuck or everyone who tracks their car would have this problem constantly while heel-toeing. I've done heel-toe downshifts turning into my neighborhood and haven't had this problem before (of course there im slowing down from 40 not 80)

Last edited by mtnbikefuel80; 7/26/11 at 08:54 AM.
Old 7/26/11, 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbikefuel80
I was accelerating in 3rd gear to pass someone on a two lane road and after I passed them slowed down quickly so that I wasn't speeding around the corner. As I was finishing slowing down and depressed the clutch to change gear it became "stuck" to the floor. The range of motion was from fully depressed to about 2 inches released (most of the clutch travel was gone). Gears would still engage but it took a couple minutes of driving and lots of me pumping the clutch pedal for it to fully release and go back to its full range of motion. The tranmission warning light never came on and there weren't any grinding noises or shake coming from the clutch or transmission. Not sure why this happened but found it a little worrisome. I have 1600 miles on the car so far. I am going to be adding the steeda tri-ax and shift bracket but don't want Ford blaming clutch failure on me adding those parts so I am going to call them today and explain what happened with the clutch and try to figure out why this happened before I add those parts. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their clutch? Car is a 2012 GT Manual. Thanks!

EDIT: I know the clutch and brake fluid resevoir is the same but surely hard braking shouldn't make the clutch stuck or everyone who tracks their car would have this problem constantly while heel-toeing. I've done heel-toe downshifts turning into my neighborhood and haven't had this problem before (of course there im slowing down from 40 not 80)
In the clutch travel that was left, did the feel of the clutch ever change? The pedals travel just changing sounds familiar to the early 2011 builds issue but there pedals were sucking to the floor. Could be something related to the hydraulics themselves.

Last edited by flySWA737; 7/26/11 at 09:07 AM.
Old 7/26/11, 09:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by flySWA737

In the clutch travel that was left, did the feel of the clutch ever change? The pedals travel just changing sounds familiar to the early 2011 builds issue but there pedals were sucking to the floor. Could be something related to the hydraulics themselves.
The clutch still felt the same (same pressure) just hardly any travel. Im just worried because im planning on autocrossing soon once I install my new parts and don't want this cluth issue happening out there and Ford to blame it on new parts I install.
Old 7/26/11, 05:49 PM
Bullitt Member

join the crowd.
Old 7/26/11, 09:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happened to me at the track. took it to ford ( 2 seperate dealers) and both could not find anything wrong. One even said it was a safety feature....YEAH RIGHT! I was going down the track and on 3rd gear the clutch stayed on the floors i had to coast the rest of the way until the pedal came back up. I was into a high rev so i think thats why it did it. I now try to keep my revs low not close to red line. hasn't happened since. I have a 2011 with 3.73 gears a Steeda CAi and BBR tune.
Old 8/1/11, 07:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Going to the dealership to get the clutch stuck issue and hard shifting into first while at a stop issues looked at. Ill update tomorrow night