2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

CLEARBRA installer FOUND...yay!!!...Snow on ground...nay!!!

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/12, 07:40 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
CLEARBRA installer FOUND...yay!!!...Snow on ground...nay!!!

I finally found a clear bra installer in my area! Apparently guy has been doing it for 7 years plus, so experience is ALWAYS a plus. I called the shop yesterday and spoke to them... made sure there methods were good, etc. I have had several clear bra's done on my prior cars, but my trusty installer left town So it's been a struggle finding someone who I can trust with the paint on my car, plus the actual quality of the paint protective film install itself.

So anyways, I went to 2 dealers today with cars on the showroom floor that have the 3M clear bra installed. I must say, I was impressed. So... I am ready to schedule my install. However, there is snow on the ground now, so I can't drive Marilyn until roads are completely clear That won't be till April maybe, if I'm lucky.... grrrrr. We finally got our first snow fall of the season. And to think I was just out driving her and taking pics this weekend.

So anyways, anyone else out there with Clear bras on their stangs that wanna share experiences and pics???

SNOW!!!! See Marilyn safely tucked away???

And here are the crappy pics I took with my cell phone showing some of the clear bra installer's work. If you have a HARD time seeing the plastic film edges, that's a GOOD thing. You don't want to see them. I plan on doing the hood, fenders, bumpers, mirrors, and A-pillars, plus door edges.

Last edited by FromZto5; 1/14/12 at 07:41 PM.
Old 1/14/12, 10:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice, but as I'm sure you know, all that is gonna cost you a pretty penny. I was going to do the bumper on mine but didn't want to deal with the wax on the edges.

Also, as a tip, make sure you buff thr area where the bra is going real good and get the paint flawless. Otherwise any swirl Marks/defects will be safely trapped under there.
Old 1/15/12, 12:19 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really wish I would've done this.
Old 1/15/12, 12:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
be careful with the 3M clearbra, at subaru we didnt recommend it to customers due to 3M turning yellow over time and making the original paint look crappy.
Old 1/15/12, 06:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Here is a summary of mine.

Where are you located ?
Old 1/15/12, 09:04 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Nice, but as I'm sure you know, all that is gonna cost you a pretty penny. I was going to do the bumper on mine but didn't want to deal with the wax on the edges.

Also, as a tip, make sure you buff thr area where the bra is going real good and get the paint flawless. Otherwise any swirl Marks/defects will be safely trapped under there.
Thx yeah am fully aware of cost implications. This will be my 3rd car with ppf done to it.

And remember me and detailing? I know all about buffing so the paints surfaces will be swirl free and prepped for when they install it. As for wax on the edges, not an issue for me because again, detailing is my forte. Just have to be über careful and apply thin and away from edges. Sometimes I go even farther and apply blue tape BEFORE I wax.

Originally Posted by Hytek
I really wish I would've done this.
It's a must man.

Originally Posted by TOGAN
be careful with the 3M clearbra, at subaru we didnt recommend it to customers due to 3M turning yellow over time and making the original paint look crappy.
The yellowing and peeling is from old kinds of film... Nowadays both venture shield and 3m do not yellow.

Originally Posted by POS VETT
Here is a summary of mine.

Where are you located ?
Thx for link... I have to read this.

No one else out there with pics and stories of clear bras on their stands?
Old 1/16/12, 07:06 AM
MJN
GT Member

I was trying to get mine installed before the snow but now thats out of the question roads are nice and salty. Give me more time to polish and get her nice and smooth for the bra in the summer. Have it done right now to my truck and my wife's Fiesta. The Fiesta is the first vehicle I will have it on that is a daily driver. So far so good been on all summer.
Old 1/16/12, 09:11 AM
I Have No Life

You know what the STUPID thing is? And this really irks me. If I spend ALL this time polishing and ensuring that my paint is 98-100% Swirl free perfect... and then the installer/s grab a dirty MF towel and proceed to wipe down the paint surfaces (hood, bumper, etc) using alcohol to rid the surface of oils. (This must be done to allow proper adhesion of film/clear bra to surface).

So... I hope to not only INSTRUCT the person doing the install, of how to properly wipe down a car WITHOUT inducing swirls...unless he already knows how to (I doubt it...95% of the population don't know or don't care). OR, I plan to bring my own MF towels for him to use, and/or advise or prep the paint for him. Not sure how to go about this yet.

If done incorrectly, all that proper deswirling paint prep I did can be gone in an INSTANT...just from one improper swipe of an MF towel.
Old 1/16/12, 05:00 PM
MJN
GT Member

Mine so far has been fairly decent, he used to be a body and paint man so I like to think that helps him watch what he is using and how doing it. I still keep and eye on him and will especially when on the blk of the stang. Although this time he is coming to my dealer instead of me driving over to his house. My sales guy is getting the bra installed on his Mustang also, so he offered to come out to us this time.