Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

clear coat from dealership?!?!?! yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/10, 07:34 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clear coat from dealership?!?!?! yes or no

hey guys and gals I would really like to know yalls $.02 on clearcoats. I am expecting my Yellow blaze baby NOV.3rd and was wondering if it is worth getting the clear coat and undercoating that they offer?!?!? Or should I just get the car, not have them detail it and just wash, clay, and wax it myself and forget the clearcoat?!?!?!? Some have told me that extra clearcoat gives it that extra shine and some say it doesnt even last long but what is it for real?!?!? I know I think I want the undercoating but I think I can prolly get it both for like $200 from them...........well help ah brotha out!
Old 10/23/10, 07:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just my input here, when I took delivery of my 2006 GT I had the bodyshop wetsand the entire car beforehand and then had the Ming finish, local to my market area done the car. It added more depth to the Vista Blue I had, keeping in mind the defects were removed before the service was provided.
Old 10/23/10, 07:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ShowGT
Just my input here, when I took delivery of my 2006 GT I had the bodyshop wetsand the entire car beforehand and then had the Ming finish, local to my market area done the car. It added more depth to the Vista Blue I had, keeping in mind the defects were removed before the service was provided.
how much was the wet sand? what is that process like similar to buffing it?!?!?! so you did get the cloat just after they wet sanded it?

THanks for your opinion.
Old 10/23/10, 08:07 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That dealer coating is just BS in my opinion, maybe the undercoating if you live where they salt the road in winter.

Now, having a body shop wet sand and buff the paint will definitely make the paint look like a custom paint job. Factory paint has so much orange peel in it that it's ridiculous.
Old 10/23/10, 08:23 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To answer your question, I got my paperwork out of the file cabinet here.

I spent $28,748.32 A plan on a $33K GT Premium Coupe. The bodyshop charged $175.00 which my salesman wrote off on the paperwork. I paid the bodyshop manager for materials and supplies, was like $50 I recall and bought pizza for the 2 body techs when I did this. The sad part was, about 3 months later the car was hit with hail from a storm and had to be repainted anyways.
Old 10/23/10, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Are you talking about the Cilajet? I got that on my car and it is definitely noticeable. I'm glad I went with it.
Old 10/23/10, 08:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Your new Mustang comes from the factory with clearcoat. The stuff the dealership is trying to sell you is overpriced snake oil. I've always declined their "paint protection" and "undercoating" crap for a new car, even though they drop the price significantly 3 or 4 times before accepting my "no" answer.
Old 10/23/10, 08:49 PM
GTR Member

I'd skip it. Many times the products they apply are nothing special, and a good detailer can do the same thing with good products. Some very good detailers can also wetsand the paint and buff it back. If you're on the fence about it, skip it.
Old 10/23/10, 09:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Cornezy
hey guys and gals I would really like to know yalls $.02 on clearcoats. I am expecting my Yellow blaze baby NOV.3rd and was wondering if it is worth getting the clear coat and undercoating that they offer?!?!? Or should I just get the car, not have them detail it and just wash, clay, and wax it myself and forget the clearcoat?!?!?!? Some have told me that extra clearcoat gives it that extra shine and some say it doesnt even last long but what is it for real?!?!? I know I think I want the undercoating but I think I can prolly get it both for like $200 from them...........well help ah brotha out!
Pure dealer ripoff item, like undercoating, IMO
Old 10/23/10, 09:19 PM
GTR Member

The dealer closest to me applies that sort of stuff(supposedly) to every car on the lot and does the nitrogen tire fill(again supposedly) and they put an extra window sticker on the car with a MSRP of $995 for this.

Then when you gripe about it they say "Don't worry about that, I'm just going to throw it in and not charge you for it." Trying to make you think that they are doing you a favor and they are GIVING you something for free.

Just a bunch of total BS.
Old 10/23/10, 09:44 PM

BS. I got it on the Cobra. It was applied INCORRECTLY. I am still finding little spots where the guy didn't apply it right. It's a PITA to get off. But it does. With rubbing alcohol. Lightly. I regret getting it. If it's not going to be applied by a renouned professional or a machine, DONT GET IT. Mine all kinds of @#%!%& up.
Old 10/23/10, 10:00 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
its a joke. Dont get it!

+1 wet sanding at a body shop

just get the wet sanding done and then have a nice wax job done. it will look better protect better and cost much much less
Old 10/23/10, 10:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Undercoating, sealants, etc... Don't bother; you're better off just waxing your car at least once a month....

As for wet sanding... make sure you find a GOOD body shop... one that knows how to buff properly without holograms... if they do make holograms, make sure they don't cover it up w/ more product....
Old 10/23/10, 11:30 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by chutoyy
As for wet sanding... make sure you find a GOOD body shop... one that knows how to buff properly without holograms... if they do make holograms, make sure they don't cover it up w/ more product....

Holograms???

Don't you have to be on the holodeck to be able to see holograms?

Old 10/23/10, 11:34 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
nope

Old 10/23/10, 11:42 PM
GTR Member

On the Enterprise you do.
Old 10/24/10, 02:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Holograms???

Don't you have to be on the holodeck to be able to see holograms?

Nah. Most human eyes can see the 4th dimension... =D

But on a serious note... here's a stolen pic of hologram on a car.
Old 10/24/10, 06:05 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
In the 70 and 80's (i'm old) dealers tried to sell you a 'paint sealer' for around $175. They even went as far as to say 'you'll never have to wax your car again'. It looked like a white colored liquid polish. They also used a hand held buffer to apply and remove it . I never did fall for this b.s.

Modern paint will last 10 years.
Old 10/24/10, 06:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I agree with the other posters. The clear-coat paint protection is a rip-off. Also, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, get under-coating. It is petroleum based and after application and several years, it hardens, seperates from the surface,causing gaps, moisture trapping, and rust. I used undercoating on my 1971 BMW 2002 and it did substantial damage to the body. Had to tediously remove it and replace rusted metal. New cars, today, are very well protected from rust and undercoating simply traps moisture and creates rust. Its unnecessary.
Old 10/24/10, 07:41 AM
GT Member

I detail cars for a living and I do not recommend dealer protection packages. They all wash off after one rain fall or carwash. Spend the money and find a good detail shop in your area. When I say good I mean handwash, clay, polish, glaze, and seal the paint every six months. Once in the spring and once in the fall. This way you have year round protection. Make sure they use quality products not 55 gallon drum bulk products. If they apply products witha rotary buffer DO NOT use that shop otherwise the car will look like the truck above. If you do this properly the paint will look great ten years from now. This is what I used to own before I bought the 5.0. Its black, over three years old, raced, shown, and driven. The car didnt look it.

If you have any other questions feel free to contact me.

Quick Reply: clear coat from dealership?!?!?! yes or no