Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Chip on my door - what to use?

Search this Thread

Old 11/12/10, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chip on my door - what to use?

Hi,

So I was in a hurry today and I pulled the key out of ignition and got out off the car. Stupid me had the key in the right hand and I closed the door with my right hand . Even dumber, the metal part of the key was against the door as I pushed the door close.. so there's a piece of paint now that's completely gone.

It's not that noticeable but the fact is I know it's there and it bothers me. I did a search on "chip" and didn't see any results except a guy getting his whole door repainted to also correct the dent with the chip.

My dealership's sales department sells touch up paint. I've used touch up paint before on my old car and they never worked well, never blending correctly. Is that a good way to go about repairing the chip? And then apply an overcoat?

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks

Sorry for noobie question.
Old 11/12/10, 02:14 PM
DCS

The only way it'll be made so you can't see it is to do body work or have it done. All I use touch-up paint for is to seal the paint 'till my next trip to the body shop.
Old 11/12/10, 02:24 PM
V6 Member

Ive had good results with dr colorchip...much better than with ordinary touch up paint...It isnt perfect,but your problem would be a lot less noticeable....
Old 11/12/10, 02:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kws6000
Ive had good results with dr colorchip...much better than with ordinary touch up paint...It isnt perfect,but your problem would be a lot less noticeable....
you have any before/after pics?
Old 11/12/10, 02:41 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JimmyM
Hi,

So I was in a hurry today and I pulled the key out of ignition and got out off the car. Stupid me had the key in the right hand and I closed the door with my right hand . Even dumber, the metal part of the key was against the door as I pushed the door close.. so there's a piece of paint now that's completely gone.

It's not that noticeable but the fact is I know it's there and it bothers me. I did a search on "chip" and didn't see any results except a guy getting his whole door repainted to also correct the dent with the chip.

My dealership's sales department sells touch up paint. I've used touch up paint before on my old car and they never worked well, never blending correctly. Is that a good way to go about repairing the chip? And then apply an overcoat?

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks

Sorry for noobie question.
See my thread here: https://themustangsource.com/f726/an...-paint-486878/

I went with the site in my first post. Color match was perfect. All I needed was the 2 oz bottle of GB Base, and the 2 oz bottle of clear
Old 11/12/10, 04:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

I say use genuine Ford touch up paint and built up some thickness with the paint till it matches the original paint, then sand it down with 2000 grit sandpaper and buff it out . Did that with my Escape after receiving a big rock from a semi and making a big paint chip where the satellite antenna sits on the roof, and it came back like new. Had to put about 9 coats of paint to make it even with original paint.
Old 11/13/10, 07:19 AM

I just touched up some chips on my door with paint from www.touchuppaintonline.com. it came out really good and the paint matched perfectly. you just have to apply VERY little at a time to make sure the paint stays even height wise. Otherwise, you might have to do a little sanding