Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Checking in: How's your S197 experience so far? I still love mine 7 years later!

Old 10/19/17, 02:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
My experience with the car has been more than just owning a Mustang. It also happened to be an era smartphone apps were booming when I got the 13gt in May 2012. I've since then joined TMS, met the coolest people through here as well as other social media (FB, etc...). We'd share common thoughts, enthusiasm, and go canyon driving together. How awesome is that! It became a lifestyle.

I was hooked to S197 model year design. And the sound? The scene from movie 'I am Legend' still gives me the chills. No, it's not the super-duper expensive car everyone takes pictures with, but something about these cars that felt special to me.

Despite all the quality issues we've been having over the years, the one thing that still gets me (and still being made fun of) is the Mustang crash videos. It takes a huge chunk out of my pride owning the car. It's just a sad thing to see. Hey, people used to compliment 'nice car!'.

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Aside from the "igniter tick" (which never manifested as a functional problem..but did result in a new and probably unnecessary water pump)
Probably one of the biggest letdowns. Depends on how severe the noise is but I ended up replacing the Shortblock. It was pretty bad. I didn't even know what the shortblock was until getting this done.

I have no regrets on any mods. Bilsteins, Eibach Pro springs, Eibach camber bolts, BAMA 91 Octane tune, Boss 302 side exit exhaust...
Looks like you've made all the right choices. I was happiest when the Boss302 side pipes were installed. Made it sound 'like a race car'. Mustang is all about the rumble. I'd love to hear more about your Bilstein/Eibach Pro experience, as I'm headed to the same direction.

Despite hardly ever seeing rain and never seeing winter salty roads, the hood is corroding. The blisters are just now visible if you get up close...still shameful for Ford. Don't relish the idea of spending money to repair what really is a quality defect... Kona Blue paint is fragile. While not immediately visible, the sheet metal aft of the front wheels is getting chipped...
I don't think it's the Kona Blue alone but mostly the paint itself and the clearcoat Ford uses. I have the Sterling Grey Metallic. Slowly getting the paint bubble out inside the door handle area and the clearcoat is peeling a bit on bottom of windshield pillar area. And the trunk decklid panel peeling. I can't always garage park the car when going outside. Gees Ford.

I'd still take S197 form over S550 any day. IMHO, these cars look just classier. Even with the IRS upgrade, I see S550's crash all the time. On a serious note though, seeing the similar/same build quality issues (like body panels not matching up) even on the newer generations is something to think about.
The following users liked this post:
tourer (10/20/17)
Old 10/19/17, 06:06 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
People love to trash talk mustangs, it's definitely annoying. Cheap RWD power makes for a lot of bad driver potential.

I've only had my 2012 since July 2016, so to me it's just a fun car to own and modify
Old 10/20/17, 07:18 AM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by fourdegrees11
People love to trash talk mustangs, it's definitely annoying. Cheap RWD power makes for a lot of bad driver potential.

I've only had my 2012 since July 2016, so to me it's just a fun car to own and modify

if u wanna see mustang on mustang drama join the s197forum group on facebook
Old 10/20/17, 11:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,018 Posts
on a road track, it is a lot of fun to see how well the cheap and crude mustang does against those more expensive, refined, and sophisticated cars that are doing most of the trash talking, LOL
tourer (10/20/17)
Old 10/20/17, 12:33 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,949 Likes on 1,578 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverSkoundrel
if u wanna see mustang on mustang drama join the s197forum group on facebook
Wasn't even aware S197 forums had a group on facebook until reading your post.. I've been a member on the S197 forums for nearly 2 years and have never encountered any type of mustang on mustang drama or bashing whatsoever.. In fact from my personal experience, the forum members have always been very supportive and helpful.. However they don't take any crap from anybody who doesn't follow the rules of the forums when it concerns posting non technical posts in the tech sub forums and vice versa..
Old 10/20/17, 12:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
How are you liking your S197 now that it's a generation and a half old? Any surprises? Any unexpected failures?

My experience has been basically ideal...this car has been fantastic. I ordered my 2011 GT in May of 2010 and took delivery with 18 miles on the clock on 8/12/2010 and as of this weekend, I just rolled 33,000.

Aside from the "igniter tick" (which never manifested as a functional problem..but did result in a new and probably unnecessary water pump), the car has been basically flawless.

I have no regrets on any mods. Bilsteins, Eibach Pro springs, Eibach camber bolts, BAMA 91 Octane tune, Boss 302 side exit exhaust...and I'll be damned if this car is just about perfect.

It STILL feels fast to me. I know that by 2017 standards, a 3,600 lb car with 400hp isn't technically all that fast but it still surprises me, it still feels really good to blast to redline. I've never taken it to the strip but I'd be surprised if this car wasn't solidly in the 12s. It still surprises passengers, I'd still feel good about my chances with 95% of the cars that I might end up next to at a stop light.

Ok....so the SRA is admittedly a sore spot. More than ever, I notice that the car can get a bit spooky when hitting a mid-corner bump or braking hard on rough pavement where modern cars would likely be a lot more composed...but that's honestly the only bad thing I can say about how this car drives and even this can be prepared for...and avoided if you know the roads (always a good idea if you're driving like a hooligan anyway).

I've often tossed around the idea of a Watts link, supercharger, Tremec swap, etc...but **** it, I'm just happy with it the way it is.

The car is holding up well to wear and tear but there are a few sore spots.

Despite hardly ever seeing rain and never seeing winter salty roads, the hood is corroding. The blisters are just now visible if you get up close...still shameful for Ford. Don't relish the idea of spending money to repair what really is a quality defect.

The gorgeous (IMO) Kona Blue paint is fragile. While not immediately visible, the sheet metal aft of the front wheels is getting chipped...undoubtedly, this has been accelerated by the sticky tires but it still seems excessive.

This is minor but the screen on the old school digital radio display has visible spiderwebbing of scratches despite my best efforts to never ever touch it. I have always gently brushed it with a sweep of a microfiber cloth...which worked until I fell behind in my cleaning efforts and a well meaning passenger wiped off some dust with their finger. If it wasn't front and center in the dash, I wouldn't care.

Otherwise, everything is holding up well...AC still works too...though it is approaching the expiration date.

Over all, my S197 continues to be one of my favorite cars I've ever driven and it was worth every penny. Despite going back and forth many times, and trying to fall in love with them, the S550 just isn't better enough and I've just stopped plotting to buy one all together.
I'm still madly in love with my 2013 GT Premium. New mods are added each year, Next year 2018 looks to be shaping up for a "Department of Boost" Supercharger.
Old 10/20/17, 12:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
I've owned 3 s197 GT's and the only reason I don't own a s550 is looks. The s197 is a rough ride when compared to the s550 but the rear and the front end of the s550 just don't scream Mustang to me. No matter what I buy in the next year I will keep my 2014 GT. If Ford brings back Lava Red in the Mustang I will be buying one.
I totally agree!
Old 10/20/17, 07:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Wasn't even aware S197 forums had a group on facebook until reading your post.. I've been a member on the S197 forums for nearly 2 years and have never encountered any type of mustang on mustang drama or bashing whatsoever.. In fact from my personal experience, the forum members have always been very supportive and helpful.. However they don't take any crap from anybody who doesn't follow the rules of the forums when it concerns posting non technical posts in the tech sub forums and vice versa..
The Coyote bashing by the 3v guys on s197 is as good as it gets. Being a past 3v owner I laugh my *** off at some of the crap the 3V guys come up with. It's all in fun and there's a great bunch of guys over there with a lot of Mustang knowledge.
Old 10/20/17, 11:59 PM
GT Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah I'm in that group, the anything coyote group, and the coyote craigslist group. There's a lot of younger "5.bros" in those groups, but there's also a ton cheap used parts (like my Boss above), and a ton of activity compared to all of these half dead forums
Old 10/21/17, 05:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love the 5th Gen S197 Mustangs

Ever since the 5th Gen S197s first came out I again got back into the mustang scene. Before that I I was all into the Fox body craze being an original owner on an 86 GT. After the Fox body I was not liking the 3rd to 4th Gen body styles except for the Terminator. To me the mustangs started looking more bloated and heavy compared to the Fox body stangs especially the 6th Gens. I bought my brand new base model Sterling Grey Metallic 5.0 six speed manual on December 29, 2011. I was not into the Premium models as I wanted less weight and was more into the 412 hp and 390 lbs of torque Coyote powertrain than anything else as it doubled the stock 200 hp my 86 GT had from the factory. It is always a blast to drive with so much power on tap with the TC off. I love the handling and braking compared to the old Fox body mustangs. The newer models also do not appeal to me looking too wide in the rear and not looking like a muscle car front end. Long live the S197s...
danimal15 (11/5/17)
Old 10/21/17, 07:20 AM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

all the salts there lol
Old 10/21/17, 11:22 AM

The Coyote bashing by the 3v guys on s197 is as good as it gets. Being a past 3v owner I laugh my *** off at some of the crap the 3V guys come up with. It's all in fun and there's a great bunch of guys over there with a lot of Mustang knowledge.
It works both ways.. The Coyote guys come up with the same crap as the 3V guys do.. But it's like you said, it's all in fun and nothing personal.. I also agree about the folks over there being a great bunch of guys who indeed have a great deal of Mustang knowledge

Yeah I'm in that group, the anything coyote group, and the coyote craigslist group. There's a lot of younger "5.bros" in those groups, but there's also a ton cheap used parts (like my Boss above), and a ton of activity compared to all of these half dead forums
I totally agree with the activity over on S197 compared to all those half dead forums, especially sites such as StangNet and CorralNet which practically have very little activity left with one foot in the grave lol.

IMHO.. TMS and S197 are the only 2 remaining forums that remain active in the S197 Mustang community at least that I'm aware of anyhow, unless you also include Mustang Forums
Old 10/21/17, 08:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
It works both ways.. The Coyote guys come up with the same crap as the 3V guys do.. But it's like you said, it's all in fun and nothing personal.. I also agree about the folks over there being a great bunch of guys who indeed have a great deal of Mustang knowledge I totally agree with the activity over on S197 compared to all those half dead forums, especially sites such as StangNet and CorralNet which practically have very little activity left with one foot in the grave lol.

IMHO.. TMS and S197 are the only 2 remaining forums that remain active in the S197 Mustang community at least that I'm aware of anyhow, unless you also include Mustang Forums
And this one is absolutely on life support because this is supposed to be the busy season...
Old 10/21/17, 11:11 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Yeah I'm in that group, the anything coyote group, and the coyote craigslist group.
---
I'm in both of those FB groups, as well. I've purchased and sold parts on both. So, pretty good, IMO.
Old 10/22/17, 10:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 386 Likes on 283 Posts
After a few small bumps in the road on the wife's '13 GT (build date 05/12) the car has been very reliable. We had a roof latch break, those first pony projectors were absolutely crap, and the LCA bushings were pitiful. After that the end links on sway bar had to be replaced, all the stuff fixed under warranty. At 39K miles the Candy Red has held up great, and still pops in the sun. However, my dearest has the itch for an '18, and after living with me for 40 years she's deserves one.

Now, onto my '06 3V. I bought the car a year ago as a project, and at 93K miles it runs like new. It's not quite as refined as the '13, but still a lot of fun to drive.

Last edited by wanted33; 10/22/17 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10/22/17, 11:37 AM
EF1
Mach 1 Member

Received 132 Likes on 118 Posts
I had the fuel gauge problem early on where the fuel level would go from 1/2 to empty really quickly. If you didn't fill it up immediately the computer would shut the engine down. It was fixed under warranty in less than two days. I really haven't had any other problems, although the oil life meter and tpms seemed to stop working somewhere after 60k. I believe this may be a firmware issue with my SCT tuner. It really doesn't bother me, since I don't rely on either. One of these days I may update the firmware and see if it fixes it. I still love the car and have no intention of trading up anytime soon. It still puts a smile on my face on the street and track.
Old 10/22/17, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by kylerohde
And this one is absolutely on life support because this is supposed to be the busy season...
Unfortunately it sure seems that way.. As this site used to be one of the most active in the S197 community when I first joined over 11 years ago, but during the past 4 years or so forum participation has gradually declined..

I suppose some members have moved on that are no longer part of the Mustang community that had to sell their rides in order to purchase homes and begin starting up a family, or had to sell due to going through a divorce or perhaps just moved on over to the competition..

Who really knows for sure what the reasons are, but in the end, it is what it is and it sucks

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 10/22/17 at 08:26 PM.
wanted33 (10/23/17)
Old 10/22/17, 08:36 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Yep, It's been going down hill for a while.
Old 10/23/17, 04:12 AM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
Yep, It's been going down hill for a while.
True. When I joined this Forum in 2009 they would be at least 40+ Members online when I would first log on at 6 a.m. . Now, its me and maybe 1 or 2 other Members . All of the Mustang Forums are going through the same thing.
Old 10/23/17, 07:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,018 Posts
unfortunately I think most of the activity is moving to FB . . . which I hate; I can never find anything the second time in there; I find this interface much easier to work with and find things

Search this Thread