Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Check this out - Ford shutting off your engine!

Old 1/1/11, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone notice the initials...Auto Start/Stop?

Seriously, though, there has even been some development work done by Mazda (Ford?) on a system where the starter motor is not even used. This from a 2008 Autoblog article:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/09/m...ect-injection/
Old 1/2/11, 04:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just read an article in CAR magazine on the Ferrari using this device. It restarts the car in 230 milliseconds, is an option and can be shut down. Normal start up takes 700 milliseconds. BMW and Mecerdes are also using a similiar system.

I do not see anything to panic over, yet. Wait until Big Brother installs a device to remotely monitor your driving, and simply refuses to let the car start at all because you are socially irresponsible in the way you drive. Their call, not yours.

The device would work in conjunction with the one monitoring miles driven for road tax purposes. I believe this was already tested in Washington or Oregon (Please correct me on this). The device downloads data while you refuel and transmits it to a satellite. The tax is then added to your refueling costs at the pump.

The future is going to be either fun or a complete nightmare when it comes to cars. I hope for all of us it turns out to be fun.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 1/2/11 at 04:34 PM.
Old 1/2/11, 05:05 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the opportunity to drive a BMW 116i with auto start/stop. When you hit the clutch it starts instantly. By the time you shifted into gear the engine was running. I was driving in the city and it never felt intrusive.

I really don't understand why people would hate this technology so much. Give it a try before you judge it. Even though the A/C did not shut off it was reduced. It also did not stop the engine all the time. I am sure there are lots of factors that determine when the engine should stop.
Old 1/2/11, 05:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'll make sure to rev the engine while in neutral so it doesn't get shut off !
Old 1/2/11, 07:54 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't golf carts use this same technology?
Old 1/2/11, 07:57 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by romendo
I had the opportunity to drive a BMW 116i with auto start/stop. When you hit the clutch it starts instantly. By the time you shifted into gear the engine was running. I was driving in the city and it never felt intrusive.

I really don't understand why people would hate this technology so much. Give it a try before you judge it. Even though the A/C did not shut off it was reduced. It also did not stop the engine all the time. I am sure there are lots of factors that determine when the engine should stop.
So did you shift into nuetral at the light and take your foot off the clutch?
When at a light I sit with my foot on the clutch and the car in gear. Does that mean in that cars case the engine wouldn't shut off?
Old 1/2/11, 07:59 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
The future is going to be either fun or a complete nightmare when it comes to cars. I hope for all of us it turns out to be fun.
Makes me think of the song Red Barchetta by Rush.
Not a good world to have a car in.
Old 1/2/11, 08:11 PM
Banned

O/T

Originally Posted by burningman
Makes me think of the song Red Barchetta by Rush.
.... my favorite Rush song ... going to see them for the 3rd time in April. It'll be the first concert for my 12 and 13 year old boys
Old 1/2/11, 08:12 PM
Banned

Don't golf carts use this same technology?
Yes!
Old 1/2/11, 08:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
When at a light I sit with my foot on the clutch and the car in gear. Does that mean in that cars case the engine wouldn't shut off?
(Ok, this one got me in.)

Probably, and you'll see why I think so below. However, the intriguing question is this: How long are your lights? In my areas, they can be *looong*.

I take mine out of gear because my leg kinda gets tired holding in the clutch. That, and it is my belief that the system is straining to keep the clutch in, rather than it's 'normal' position of engaged, where it's more 'relaxed', if you will.

Further, if I slip up (and it's happened) I kill the engine in a way I really don't like for the engine's sake, if my leg comes off the clutch pedal. I try not to be stupid, but stupid happens to us all. Some more than others, sure, but all of us.

Given those, it is no problem for me to turn off the engine at a light or a drive thru. Keeping the brake on is easier than the clutch, and there's no point in keeping the car running while I wait. I also watch the lights and if it's obvious the light's going to change, I won't stop the engine.

Oh, and by the way, a light can cost about .1 MPG at some points here in the Houston area, doing nothing but waiting. I've seen a 2 MPG per tank increase doing this, and I don't think I hurt my car doing it. And if it is the starter that's going to wear out, well, for me that's a no-brainer: cheap enough to not worry.

I know the engine might have a little more wear when starting, but the oil's pretty much all over the place, versus a cold start, so I'm thinkin' its a very small percentage in comparison. I mean... I probably do worse hot ******* it.

And finally, the battery/alternator: See starter.

My philosophical commentary is now complete on this. Enjoy the rest of the thread, y'all

Last edited by houtex; 1/2/11 at 08:22 PM.
Old 1/2/11, 08:41 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Where i live you are at a light for about 15-45 sec at most. Once in a great while you get a really long one. I live in a rural area so i can't say about city driving. I would never ever turn my car off at a light. I've avoided idiots coming up on me too fast and almost rearending me if I hadn't turned off the road out of the way a bit. If my car had been off my rear end would be toast.

My leg generally never gets tired and if you happen to slip and pop the clutch the damage it will do to the engine is practically nonexistant. I can't even recall the last time I slipped at a light though.

But each of use has our own stile and beliefs when it comes to cars we drive so no harm no foul.

Anyway I was simply wondering if that's how BMW's system works..just looking for clarification on that point.

Last edited by burningman; 1/2/11 at 08:42 PM.
Old 1/3/11, 04:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

As long as it can be defeated Im ok with it. I can only imgaine how many starters are going to fail at the worst possible time. Im sure they are upgraded to handle it but logic tells me this is only going to add cost to the car for a minimal savings in fuel that will cost you down the road due to eating starters and who knows what else in repairs. I dont mean to be a stick in the mud but you can adjust your driving habits to save 4 percent. I watched the video of the bmw and this would absolutely drive me nuts.
Old 1/3/11, 07:36 AM
V6 Member

You had to put it in neutral and release the clutch. Only then would the engine turn off. Once you pressed the clutch (in order to shift into gear) it would start in an instant. Where I live you can wait at traffic lights for a few minutes. It makes it hard to keep your foot on the clutch for that long.

Also, I drove this BMW in Europe where the light sequence is a bit different. It turns yellow before it jumps to green. That is in order to give you some time to put your car in gear (since 99% of people drive manuals over there). Here in North America it jumps right to green, which can be annoying sometimes. At least they installed the pedestrian count-downs. That way you have a better idea when it will switch to green.
Old 1/3/11, 08:27 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
so the engine will shut off while the car is still in gear? that doesn't sound smart
Old 1/3/11, 08:39 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by romendo
You had to put it in neutral and release the clutch. Only then would the engine turn off. Once you pressed the clutch (in order to shift into gear) it would start in an instant. Where I live you can wait at traffic lights for a few minutes. It makes it hard to keep your foot on the clutch for that long.

Also, I drove this BMW in Europe where the light sequence is a bit different. It turns yellow before it jumps to green. That is in order to give you some time to put your car in gear (since 99% of people drive manuals over there). Here in North America it jumps right to green, which can be annoying sometimes. At least they installed the pedestrian count-downs. That way you have a better idea when it will switch to green.
Thank for the clarification.

I was just thinking I can so see lazy people just pulling into a parking spot popping the car into nuetral, getting out and walmarting, then coming back to the car and getting in and leaving..never actually starting or stopping the car with the key. Or coming out and finding the car gone because someone just broke the window openeed the car and stood on the gas and was off like a shot. Or leaving it parked in thier driveway like that and one of thier young kids screwing around in it and the car just taking off.

Last edited by burningman; 1/3/11 at 08:44 AM.
Old 1/3/11, 08:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I believe this was already tested in Washington or Oregon (Please correct me on this). The device downloads data while you refuel and transmits it to a satellite. The tax is then added to your refueling costs at the pump.

It really is up to us. If we elect people who think the government can and should solve every problem, get ready to be controlled. If we elect people who believe in limited government, we ought to be OK.
Old 1/3/11, 09:36 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by codeman94
so the engine will shut off while the car is still in gear? that doesn't sound smart
You have to relase the clutch pedal in order to shut off the engine. So if it was in gear you would drive off (or stall the engine). Once you hit the clutch pedal the engine starts. If it wasn't for the engine noise and vibration you would not even notice.
Old 1/3/11, 09:38 AM
V6 Member

Thank for the clarification.

I was just thinking I can so see lazy people just pulling into a parking spot popping the car into nuetral, getting out and walmarting, then coming back to the car and getting in and leaving..never actually starting or stopping the car with the key. Or coming out and finding the car gone because someone just broke the window openeed the car and stood on the gas and was off like a shot. Or leaving it parked in thier driveway like that and one of thier young kids screwing around in it and the car just taking off.
Lazy people do that already - sort off. They leave the key in the ignition. Nothing you can do about that unless you give the car total control about everything. I have seen people leave the car idling while they go shopping. Sometimes even with a kid in it so that he/she does not get cold/hot. Not much you can do about stupid people.
Old 1/3/11, 10:12 AM
Bullitt Member

awesome post! I cant wait for this to take effect on all ford cars
Old 1/3/11, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL @ Big Brother comments.

Has anyone ever used me.com to track their iPhone? Scary. If we can see it, you know they can see even more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check this out - Ford shutting off your engine!