Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Check this out - Ford shutting off your engine!

Old 12/30/10, 04:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to see a study or a simulated 'test'- filled with plenty of stops, long rides, stop lights, pauses, basic road procedures etc... And see how much gas it saves and CO2 emissions it prevents over not having this. If it's not any more than like 10%... I wont ever consider it. As the start and stop will prove very annoying and will out weight it's benefit. I can see cylinder deactivation... but turning over each time? Don't all the electronics pause too? I like the idle!

FWIW I read that if a stop is shorter than 30 seconds it would use more gas than if you would have just let it idle...
Old 12/30/10, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The feature can be switched "ON" or "OFF" so no need to panic. Ford to switch off engine??? Give me a break. Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, VW, Audi, Ford Europe already have this feature and it is quite common here. Nothing to worry about.....the 80s are gone and this is a modern feature. By the way.......no more carburetors either.
Old 12/30/10, 06:45 PM
MOTM Committee Member

hey if this is true I should get an internet cookie for 'calling it'! sort of...

https://themustangsource.com/f806/ho...ustang-487673/
Old 12/30/10, 06:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
hey if this is true I should get an internet cookie for 'calling it'! sort of...

https://themustangsource.com/f806/ho...ustang-487673/

You did call it!

and I don't like, so glad it shuts off!
Old 12/30/10, 07:33 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by 2005GTDELUXE
You did call it!

and I don't like, so glad it shuts off!
you know what it reminds me of rich?

skip shift. Its another car nanny. But I guess it was only a matter of time...
Old 12/30/10, 10:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SynisterGT
^ sure until something breaks.
If we all thought like that we'd still be starting our cars with a hand crank.

Hybrids use the same technology, only the engine kicks on when the battery gets low. Same with a golf cart. 95% of the problems you get with starter motors aren't from the motors themselves but from the starter gear extension and retraction mechanism failing.

All you really need to do to get around that is to leave the starter "motor" always engaged and use the "motor" to start the engine and the rest of the time the "motor" becomes a "generator" to recharge the battery. Then you can ditch the alternator altogether.
Old 12/31/10, 10:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
FWIW I read that if a stop is shorter than 30 seconds it would use more gas than if you would have just let it idle...
A warm engine uses very little gas to restart. A cold engine is obviously a different story. Perhaps the computer will leave the engine running until it reaches a certain internal temperature before this feature is activated.

Last edited by Adam; 12/31/10 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12/31/10, 11:44 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by eurocobra
The feature can be switched "ON" or "OFF" so no need to panic. Ford to switch off engine??? Give me a break. Porsche, Mercedes, BMW, VW, Audi, Ford Europe already have this feature and it is quite common here. Nothing to worry about.....the 80s are gone and this is a modern feature. By the way.......no more carburetors either.
That sounds like something one would hear on TG UK. Don't forget the Mustang still has a ox cart rear axle. Personally don't mind the thought of this feature in any car. Hey, the introduction of EFI to the Mustang made it a better car in the long run after all despite what the naysayers back then predicted.
Old 12/31/10, 12:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hi5.0
Hey, the introduction of EFI to the Mustang made it a better car in the long run after all despite what the naysayers back then predicted.
Precisely my point!!!

I remember all the mustang people crying because the 4.6 would replace the 5.0 and boo hoo hoo fuel injection is coming. No more tuning the car or we cannot even jump start it and it's all foriegn.

Now panties in a wad again over a simple feature that most know nothing about but speculate on how it works. IT CAN BE SWITCHED OFF. It is a feature that will assist hyper-milers.

Whatever people......just don't buy it because FORD will switch it off for you. SIMPLE
Old 12/31/10, 12:11 PM
Bullitt Member

This sounds like something we had on our late Saturn Vue Hybrid It was about the only thing that worked right on that car as it did not function till the motor was up to temp and worked slick as the alt (looked the same size as a reg alt) became a electric motor and restarted the 4 banger no problem. as for the batteries used to power the car after they failed the third time in less than 3 yrs that car went away but the on off funtion worked good i dont know how it would work with a V8 but it will be fun to watch..
Old 12/31/10, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As usual what is not said is more important than what is. Loudly missed in this demonstration is what happens in traffic jams when you stop for a short time or are moving so slow, its just better to coast. How about starting and stopping every 20 feet for 5 miles. What about just coasting in neutral? Will the engine die and take out the power steering and brakes? How much longer will it take a line of cars to get moving? Enough for 3 less to make it through the intersection? Sucks to miss out because every one in the line took 2 extra seconds to get rolling. Like traction lock, can the feature be disabled when it causes more harm than good? Flash!!! Anyone who wants their car to work like that can do so now with the key. Imagine that.
Old 12/31/10, 01:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Increase fuel economy

Reduce engine life

Great.
Old 12/31/10, 01:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cusp
Flash!!! Anyone who wants their car to work like that can do so now with the key. Imagine that.
You're not understanding the system. You have this impression that when you press the accelerator your car is going to take seconds to start up.

Go to your local golf course and rent a gas powered golf cart. Press on the gas. There is next to no delay at all.

All you're doing is exchanging the crappy little motor in the cart for a real one in a car. This is a system that has been proven over decades ...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3185907AAHhNby

The only real downside is that you can't use the system with a manual transmission; the system would likely depend on the stall RPM of the torque converter as a buffer while the engine spins up.
Old 12/31/10, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Hopefully they'll do what Porsche did with the start-stop system on U.S. market Panameras: put a switch on the dashboard to turn it on/off and have it off by default.

Last edited by Captain Spadaro; 12/31/10 at 03:55 PM. Reason: curse this infernal dyslexia
Old 12/31/10, 04:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
its going to be an option. You can bet none (or very few of the v6's)of the Mustangs are gonna be optioned like it..
Old 12/31/10, 04:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Wouldn't that be murder on the engine? starting and stopping all the time?
dumbest idea ever.
Old 12/31/10, 05:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

i dont see where its going to be that big of a deal. if you noticed in the BMW video the only time it turned off was if you put the car in neutral and let off the clutch...thats not how you start a drag race. It could be a decent benefit on automatic cars that dont have a clutch pedal. I rarely ever put the car in neutral and take my foot off the clutch at a stop light.
Old 1/1/11, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

This is actually a really interesting concept. If done the right way, I don't think it will be terrible. As long as it's something that can be bypassed, it shouldn't be that big of a deal.
Old 1/1/11, 04:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

I don't get this.
Your stopped at a light and you get rear ended cuz you couldn't get out of the way fast enough due to engine restarting which takes 1-2 seconds more before power is availble to the traction wheels .Just doesn't ad up to me.....Their's gotta be some other technical explanations to this that we don't know.

Last edited by montreal ponies; 1/1/11 at 05:00 PM.
Old 1/1/11, 05:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

The posche cayenne has this retarded technology on it too. Better make this starter module easy to access and cheap

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check this out - Ford shutting off your engine!