Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Changing gears with select shift

Search this Thread

Old 1/8/14, 03:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Changing gears with select shift

Tried it for the first time today. I did okay but when I first attempted to downshift to come to a stop, I did it too soon and it did not sound good. It scared me. I thought with select shift if it was too soon it would not let the gears change? I have never driven a stick. Today was my first time with shifting. I have been watching videos and googling to learn when to shift. Also watching the speedometer and listening to see when it shifted. I can tell when it shifts up. Down shifting can't tell what gear it shifts to. So, when slowing down to stop, I down shift from 4 or 5th to 3rd and stay in 3rd until I stop then go to 1st? I did that the second time and it seemed okay. My main concern was damaging the engine/transmission if I did it wrong. With select shift that is not possible, right?
Old 1/8/14, 07:37 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct. The Trans controller won't accept a downshift if the revs will be too high. My Mustang is manual, but my other car has this feature too. It won't let me downshift if it will put the RPM over ~4500 after the downshift. So you have nothing to worry about. With Auto trans this feature is error prof.

Last edited by Marcin K.; 1/8/14 at 07:39 PM.
Old 1/8/14, 09:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had my car for almost five months and have yet to use this feature because I'm a little nervous of messing something up even though they say you can't. I know how to drive a manual but using a rocker switch just seems weird to me.

Wayne
Old 1/8/14, 11:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I've had my car for over ten months and almost 17,000 miles, and have used SelectShift quite a bit. I usually use it for long uphills, but have also used it on twisty roads where I have left it in second gear in the tightest twisty areas. It will never upshift automatically, and will only downshift automatically if you're in fifth or fourth gear. It will not let you downshift in situations where damage could be done, although I have downshifted into first at 20 MPH. I quite like it and enjoy being able to shift only one I want to.
Old 1/9/14, 01:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Mama
Tried it for the first time today. I did okay but when I first attempted to downshift to come to a stop, I did it too soon and it did not sound good. It scared me. I thought with select shift if it was too soon it would not let the gears change? I have never driven a stick. Today was my first time with shifting. I have been watching videos and googling to learn when to shift. Also watching the speedometer and listening to see when it shifted. I can tell when it shifts up. Down shifting can't tell what gear it shifts to. So, when slowing down to stop, I down shift from 4 or 5th to 3rd and stay in 3rd until I stop then go to 1st? I did that the second time and it seemed okay. My main concern was damaging the engine/transmission if I did it wrong. With select shift that is not possible, right?
If you dropped it into 1st at speed with those Roush axle-backs, all that popping and snarling probably scared a lot of people - Ha!

When I manually downshift while cruising, I listen to the engine/exhaust getting quiet, then hit the button. It will rev to 3000-3500 which isn't too intense. I don't thumb it into first until I come to a stop.

Like the others said, the trans won't let you harm it. It will rev match to the gear you select unless it is an unreasonable choice for the speed. I know, since my daughter was unable to destroy mine while I was teaching her steep downhill procedures.

Oh, and if you want to make the best all out drag pass, don't use the button.
Old 1/9/14, 08:17 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey Mustang Mama,

Here’s the info I found in your owner's manual 3rd printing:

SelectShift Automatic® Transmission
Your SelectShift automatic transmission gives you the ability to manually
change gears if you would like. To use SelectShift, move the gearshift
lever into position S. Now you can use the thumb toggle on the side of
your gearshift lever to select gears.

• Press (+) on the gearshift lever to manually upshift the transmission.
• Press (–) on the gearshift lever to manually downshift the transmission.

The information display in the instrument cluster will show the selected
gear you are currently in.
In order to prevent the engine from running at too low an RPM, which
may cause it to stall, SelectShift will automatically make some downshifts
even if it has determined that you have not downshifted in time.
Although the SelectShift will make some downshifts for you, it will still
allow you to downshift at any time as long as the SelectShift determines
that the engine will not be damaged from over-revving.

Note: Engine damage may occur if excessive engine revving is held
without shifting.
Note: Some models have a blink feature (if equipped). If manually
selecting a gear that is out of the current vehicle speed range, the
vehicle will not make the requested shift and will blink the current gear.

I hope this helps.

Deysha
Old 1/9/14, 01:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Thanks Deysha, I was gonna say the same thing about the gear indicator being on the center screen. Mama, just practice with it, and in no time you'll be an expert. As El Coyote says, in time you'll be able to listen to the sound of the engine, and know when you need to shift. Have fun.
Old 1/9/14, 07:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Marcin K.
Correct. The Trans controller won't accept a downshift if the revs will be too high. My Mustang is manual, but my other car has this feature too. It won't let me downshift if it will put the RPM over ~4500 after the downshift. So you have nothing to worry about. With Auto trans this feature is error prof.

I did something wrong because the engine sounded stressed. I think I was in 1st or 2nd. Went back to 3rd and it was all good again.

Originally Posted by 70monte
I've had my car for almost five months and have yet to use this feature because I'm a little nervous of messing something up even though they say you can't. I know how to drive a manual but using a rocker switch just seems weird to me.

Wayne

I was nervous too. But I wanted to try it out. After the downshift goof, I put it back in D. lol.

Originally Posted by tukatz
I've had my car for over ten months and almost 17,000 miles, and have used SelectShift quite a bit. I usually use it for long uphills, but have also used it on twisty roads where I have left it in second gear in the tightest twisty areas. It will never upshift automatically, and will only downshift automatically if you're in fifth or fourth gear. It will not let you downshift in situations where damage could be done, although I have downshifted into first at 20 MPH. I quite like it and enjoy being able to shift only one I want to.

I'm a total newb with gear shifting. I do not know what gear is for what and when to use each one.

Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS
If you dropped it into 1st at speed with those Roush axle-backs, all that popping and snarling probably scared a lot of people - Ha!

When I manually downshift while cruising, I listen to the engine/exhaust getting quiet, then hit the button. It will rev to 3000-3500 which isn't too intense. I don't thumb it into first until I come to a stop.

Like the others said, the trans won't let you harm it. It will rev match to the gear you select unless it is an unreasonable choice for the speed. I know, since my daughter was unable to destroy mine while I was teaching her steep downhill procedures.

Oh, and if you want to make the best all out drag pass, don't use the button.

It was not the exhaust that startled me. I was too distracted by the way the engine sounded to hear. I think I dropped to low. Lol, okay. No buttons when drag passing.

Originally Posted by FordService
Hey Mustang Mama,

Here’s the info I found in your owner's manual 3rd printing:

SelectShift Automatic® Transmission
Your SelectShift automatic transmission gives you the ability to manually
change gears if you would like. To use SelectShift, move the gearshift
lever into position S. Now you can use the thumb toggle on the side of
your gearshift lever to select gears.

• Press (+) on the gearshift lever to manually upshift the transmission.
• Press (–) on the gearshift lever to manually downshift the transmission.

The information display in the instrument cluster will show the selected
gear you are currently in.
In order to prevent the engine from running at too low an RPM, which
may cause it to stall, SelectShift will automatically make some downshifts
even if it has determined that you have not downshifted in time.
Although the SelectShift will make some downshifts for you, it will still
allow you to downshift at any time as long as the SelectShift determines
that the engine will not be damaged from over-revving.

Note: Engine damage may occur if excessive engine revving is held
without shifting.
Note: Some models have a blink feature (if equipped). If manually
selecting a gear that is out of the current vehicle speed range, the
vehicle will not make the requested shift and will blink the current gear.

I hope this helps.

Deysha

Thanks Deysha. I did look that up in the manual before trying the select shift. I think I dropped the gear to low which caused the engine to sound strained. I thought select shift would not allow that to happen.

Originally Posted by wanted33
Thanks Deysha, I was gonna say the same thing about the gear indicator being on the center screen. Mama, just practice with it, and in no time you'll be an expert. As El Coyote says, in time you'll be able to listen to the sound of the engine, and know when you need to shift. Have fun.

Yes, I saw the gear indicator. I was unsure of when to downshift and to what gear. Yes, practice. By the second and third time I did better.
Old 1/10/14, 06:23 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by wanted33
You’re welcome, wanted33! Thank you for the support.

Thanks Deysha. I did look that up in the manual before trying the select shift. I think I dropped the gear to low which caused the engine to sound strained. I thought select shift would not allow that to happen.
You’re very welcome, Mustang Mama! If it continues to happen or you feel something is not right, be sure to bring it into your dealer and have them check it out. Let me know if you need me.

Deysha
Old 1/10/14, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FordService
You’re welcome, wanted33! Thank you for the support.

You’re very welcome, Mustang Mama! If it continues to happen or you feel something is not right, be sure to bring it into your dealer and have them check it out. Let me know if you need me.

Deysha

I will Deysha. I need to get out and practice some more.