2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Cervini Pre Painted Hood?

Search this Thread

Old 1/25/12, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cervini Pre Painted Hood?

I really want one of these hoods (the new three" cowl) and would love to not have to go through the hassle of having it painted. I can't imagine a spot on color match without blending the fenders. Has any one ever purchased a hood from Cervini pre painted? If so how was the match? Any thoughts?

https://cervinis.com/product.aspx?car=1&id=1226#1208

Last edited by ptcomp; 1/25/12 at 06:21 PM.
Old 1/25/12, 06:25 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I ordered a 2.5" cowl prepainted UA Black hood from Cervinis. My color match was great. I received it and it was very well packaged except I didn't read the outside of the box like a bonehead and when I removed the hood from the box/crate the staples from the lid scratched the crap out of the hood. I was sick. So I had to take it to a shop and have it repainted.

I was happy with it otherwise. It's a great hood. And the paint was perfect. The hood is white before its painted so of you don't had them prepaint the underside also it will look very unfinished.
Old 1/25/12, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I ordered a 2.5" cowl prepainted UA Black hood from Cervinis. My color match was great. I received it and it was very well packaged except I didn't read the outside of the box like a bonehead and when I removed the hood from the box/crate the staples from the lid scratched the crap out of the hood. I was sick. So I had to take it to a shop and have it repainted.

I was happy with it otherwise. It's a great hood. And the paint was perfect. The hood is white before its painted so of you don't had them prepaint the underside also it will look very unfinished.
Oh man, Im sorry to hear that happened, sounds like something I would do. glad to hear it was a good match though. how did everything line up? were the seams even and all?
Old 1/25/12, 10:54 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by ptcomp
Oh man, Im sorry to hear that happened, sounds like something I would do. glad to hear it was a good match though. how did everything line up? were the seams even and all?
Everything lined up great. Easy to install. Holes all matched. Even the latch was in perfect spot. Cervinis makes a good hood.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another. However I don't know how well other colors would color match. I think black is one of the easiest ones.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 1/26/12 at 06:43 AM.
Old 4/9/16, 01:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Bringing this thread back from the dead but I have a similar question so no need for a new thread. The dreaded hood corrosion on my car has finally started on the outside (had it on the inside for a couple years) so I'm looking at getting the Mach One style hood from Cervini's (10-12mustang-mach-one-hood.html), since I can upgrade the look and it's half the cost of getting a new factory hood, which is the only option according to my dealer's body shop. And it's half the cost even after the 1/2 price offer the dealer offered me.

So, question is, has anybody had issues with a pre-painted Cervini's hood not matching their factory paint?
Old 4/9/16, 02:03 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,200 Posts
I ordered a 2.5" cowl prepainted UA Black hood from Cervinis. My color match was great. I received it and it was very well packaged
It's a great hood. And the paint was perfect. The hood is white before its painted so of you don't had them prepaint the underside also it will look very unfinished.
Originally Posted by kylerohde
So, question is, has anybody had issues with a pre-painted Cervini's hood not matching their factory paint?
Looks like that your answer above your post.
Old 4/9/16, 03:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Looks like that your answer above your post.
Yeah yeah anybody else? Especially with a harder color like mine!
Old 7/11/16, 07:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Since I was asking questions about these hoods and nobody seemed to have much to share, I thought I'd add some detail for other guys that might be wondering.
  • I had the infamous hood bubbling on my stock hood and dealt with it for 2 years since it was only on the underside of it. When the bubbles finally started appearing on the outside, I decided it was time to upgrade.
    • My local Ford dealer had offered to split the cost of a new hood with me, but the total cost would have been almost $2,500 for a brand new one, still costing me $1,250.
  • Cervini's hoods are just about the only aftermarket ones out there for 10-12 Mustangs, far as I could find. Unpainted ones cost about $650, or you can get 'em color-matched for $1,054 total. Paying them $400 to paint is way, way cheaper than having a body shop locally do it - maybe 1/4 to 1/3 the cost.
    • Cervini's only body-matches the top of the hood; the underside gets painted gloss black so if you hate that, you'll have to buy unpainted and have the whole thing done for yourself locally.
  • The order took about 3-4 weeks total from ordering to having delivered so plan accordingly. Their order status updating is pretty minimal - I got a confirmation and a ship confirmation; otherwise, the order was just listed as "Pending" for the 3 weeks in the middle.
  • I had my local body shop do the install, as there's some fairly involved steps for setting up the windshield washer nozzles and I wanted to make sure it was set up perfectly. The shop took 3 hours to do all the work total.
So, here are the results:

Overall, I would say the color match is outstanding, especially considering my car is 5.5 years old and has 100K miles on it. The fit is pretty good. If there's anything I could complain about at all, it's that I'd like the sides of the hood to be maybe another 1/16" or 1/8" max higher. Looking very closely at it, the height is just a little lower than the fenders but again, I'm nitpicking here. For the money, this is an awesome upgrade and a lot cheaper than dealing with fixing/replacing the stock aluminum hood.

Last edited by kylerohde; 7/11/16 at 10:30 AM.
Old 7/11/16, 09:46 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great and glad to hear that the paint matched. What is the weight of the Cervini hood compared to the factory hood?
Old 7/11/16, 10:11 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Your car looks amazing with that hood! Anyone familiar with the '71-'73 Mach 1 might think it came from the factory.

That hood has been calling my name for a couple of years now. I owned a '71 with that hood and always liked the look.

A couple of questions...

Do the openings have any sort of grilles or covers? The original had either black honeycomb blanks or vacuum operated doors depending on the model. Better yet, can they be made functional?

Can aftermarket hood shocks be used in place of the prop rod?
Old 7/11/16, 10:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by esir_spd
Looks great and glad to hear that the paint matched. What is the weight of the Cervini hood compared to the factory hood?
I don't know the exact difference but it definitely feels a little heavier than the stock one.

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Your car looks amazing with that hood! Anyone familiar with the '71-'73 Mach 1 might think it came from the factory.

That hood has been calling my name for a couple of years now. I owned a '71 with that hood and always liked the look.

A couple of questions...

Do the openings have any sort of grilles or covers? The original had either black honeycomb blanks or vacuum operated doors depending on the model. Better yet, can they be made functional?

Can aftermarket hood shocks be used in place of the prop rod?
Thanks man - I love it too!

Openings are wide open stock. I'm sure it's possible to make them functional but that would be a lot of custom fab! As far as the aftermarket shocks, the Cervini's hood works with all the factory stuff, so I would assume the answer is yes.
Old 7/11/16, 02:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the Cervinis hood is about 40 lbs. compared to about 25 lbs. for the stock hood. I am not sure the hood shocks made for the factory aluminum hood would work as the shocks might not be strong enough. IIRC, Cervinis makes their own.
Old 7/11/16, 05:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Could you post pictures with the hood open? Curious to see how the underside looks...
Old 7/12/16, 09:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
Could you post pictures with the hood open? Curious to see how the underside looks...
Yep, will get a couple tonight!
Old 7/12/16, 09:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I did realize one thing that is a negative about the hood. By about 1/8", it's too "long" and blocks you from raising the wipers to the upright position. Sucks for washing and will be a big pain for changing wiper blades. The stock hood wasn't very good in this area either but you can at least move the arm enough to raise it without scratching the edge of the hood. Can't do it with this one - I am not sure if that's something I could adjust in the mounting of it though?
Old 7/12/16, 09:19 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Does raising the hood give enough clearance for the wipers?
Old 7/12/16, 09:22 AM
Post *****

Originally Posted by kylerohde
I did realize one thing that is a negative about the hood. By about 1/8", it's too "long" and blocks you from raising the wipers to the upright position. Sucks for washing and will be a big pain for changing wiper blades. The stock hood wasn't very good in this area either but you can at least move the arm enough to raise it without scratching the edge of the hood. Can't do it with this one - I am not sure if that's something I could adjust in the mounting of it though?
Well on the bright side you won't accidentally raise your hood while you wipers are up.
Old 7/12/16, 09:33 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Does raising the hood give enough clearance for the wipers?
Can't imagine it would but will have to try.

Well on the bright side you won't accidentally raise your hood while you wipers are up.
Ha. I definitely did that at least 1x with the stock hood.
Old 7/12/16, 10:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
Here's a couple.
Cervini Pre Painted Hood?-photo148.jpg
Cervini Pre Painted Hood?-photo842.jpg
Old 8/8/16, 10:43 AM
V6 Member

Thanks for the info on the hood. My 2013 has finally come to the point where the factory paint has chipped off above my drivers side headlight. Now you just see a big white patch there. People ask me all the time what happened, so I think it's time for a new hood instead of getting the stock one re-painted. I think I am leaning towards the Type 4 Ram Air hood and I'd probably have them paint it for me to avoid the hassle of finding a shop and dealing with any potential paint matching issues.