2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Center Stack Evolution 60's to Current.

Search this Thread

Old 10/30/08, 08:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't quite know about the Fox's stack being "ugly".....thems fightin words to us old timers that had a Fox as our 1st Mustang and still love them today.

Time marches on as it should, but ugly?...not to me.
Old 10/30/08, 08:53 AM
MBK
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
Ive been looking at '85, '86s lately and I like the straight upness about them.
ditto
Old 10/30/08, 08:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TJ4Cam
Don't quite know about the Fox's stack being "ugly".....thems fightin words to us old timers that had a Fox as our 1st Mustang and still love them today.

I Never Cared for the 74-78 or 79-86 Mustang Dashes. They Were Just Too Similar to Everything Else From the Late 70's Early 80's. A Big Rectangular Box on One End With Some Holes Punched In It for Gauges. and A Smaller Rectangular Box On The Passenger Side With A Couple Of Rectangles Cut Out of It for The AC Vents. I Mean I Remember Granada's, Fairmont's, Even T-Birds...All Of Their Dashes Looked The Same. Very Unimaginative. They Just Didn't Have The Dual Cockpit/Cowl Mustang Look/Image That The Mustang Always Had.

I Know The Fox Mustangs Are/Were Highly Regarded For Their Performance, and I'm Not Knocking Them,
Especially the 85 and Up SVO's and GT's . I Loved The SVO's Style Outside, But The One Thing That Always Kept Me From Really Wanting An SVO Mustang Was That Dash. I Don't Know About Ugly, But I Was Sure Glad To See The 87 Mustangs New Dash Design. Too Bad They Killed the SVO for 87. I Would've Really Considered Buying One With The 87's Interior...

Last edited by TampaBear67; 10/30/08 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10/30/08, 09:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TampaBear67

I Never Cared for the 74-78 or 79-86 Mustang Dashes. They Were Just Too Similar to Everything Else From the Late 70's Early 80's. A Big Rectangular Box on One End With Some Holes Punched In It for Gauges. and A Smaller Rectangular Box On The Passenger Side With A Couple Of Rectangles Cut Out of It for The AC Vents. I Mean I Remember Granada's, Fairmont's, Even T-Birds...All Of Their Dashes Looked The Same. Very Unimaginative. They Just Didn't Have The Dual Cockpit/Cowl Mustang Look/Image That The Mustang Always Had.

I Know The Fox Mustangs Are/Were Highly Regarded For Their Performance, and I'm Not Knocking Them,
Especially the 85 and Up SVO's and GT's . I Loved The SVO's Style Outside, But The One Thing That Always Kept Me From Really Wanting An SVO Mustang Was That Dash. I Don't Know About Ugly, But I Was Sure Glad To See The 87 Mustangs New Dash Design. Too Bad They Killed the SVO for 87. I Would've Really Considered Buying One With The 87's Interior...
I also dont like looking at a mustang and seeing other cars that are similar, like they all share the same interior. But the 1985,'86 models are 23 years old now and they are the only cars I see anymore. I havent seen a granada or fairmont in years. We did just take in a Turbo coupe a couple weeks ago. Man that thing said muscle! I didnt look at the interior though.
Old 10/30/08, 09:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by TJ4Cam

Yeah, they aren't ugly, they just show what design trends were "in" when the cars were new. I don't think it's a timelessly classic design, but it was contemporary for the '80s....
Old 10/30/08, 10:00 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by FordBlueHeart
We did just take in a Turbo coupe a couple weeks ago. Man that thing said muscle! I didnt look at the interior though.

Are You Talking About a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe? I Owned An 87 Turbo Coupe Just Like This One.

I LOVED That Car! To Me When I Saw The First Pictures Of One I Thought That The Mustang and Thunderbird Merged. With Those Scoops On the Hood It Reminded Me So Much of the 73 Mustang Mach 1's My Mom and I Owned. As You Say It Just Said Muscle Car To Me.

That Car Was The Most Fun To Drive Car I've Ever Owned, of Course It Probably Has To Do With The Fact It Was a 5 Speed. Although Since We Were On The Topic Of Dashes, This Is Another Prime Example...

I Loved the Interior of the 85-88 Thunderbird. Because of Their Style, Compared to The 83-84 Thunderbirds.

Last edited by TampaBear67; 10/30/08 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10/30/08, 10:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TampaBear67
Are You Talking About a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe? I Owned An 87 Turbo Coupe Just Like This One.

I LOVED That Car! To Me When I Saw The First Pictures Of One I Thought That The Mustang and Thunderbird Merged. With Those Scoops On the Hood It Reminded Me So Much of the 73 Mustang Mach 1's My Mom and I Owned. As You Say It Just Said Muscle Car To Me.

That Car Was The Most Fun To Drive Car I've Ever Owned, of Course It Probably Has To Do With The Fact It Was a 5 Speed. Although Since We Were On The Topic Of Dashes, This Is Another Prime Example...

I Loved the Interior of the 85-88 Thunderbird. Because of Their Style, Compared to The 83-84 Thunderbirds.

Yup, a Tbird turbo coupe. It looks hot! I drive by it every day on my to and from work. Its what has me looking at getting a '85 or '86 mustang. Reminds me of being a teenager dreaming about a new car.
Old 10/30/08, 01:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like the sn95 stack the most... it just flows the best...

its like the car wraps around the occupants... i dig it
Old 10/30/08, 02:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Always loved the SN95 interior/dash. First time I sat in a '94 I knew it was right. Wound up owning 3 of 'em over the years.

Problem I had was the legroom. My '94 always had me trying to move the seat back some more. Got better in '99, but still just tight enough to be a tad uncomfortable, especially on a long drive.

Don't have that problem with the '06. More leg room than I need. Even though I initially thought the car was a bit too big, for a Mustang - still do to a degree - I REALLY appreciate the added leg- and head-room of the S197!
Old 10/30/08, 05:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
The only thing I didn't like about the 94-04's was that the shifter was too close to the dash
Old 10/30/08, 05:44 PM
Cobra R Member

The Sn-95's Were Nice Looking, and I Do Love The Dash Design But As Several Of You Posted, Leg Room Was A Major Issue for Anyone Over 6' Tall. I'm 6'4" And I'm Not Really Slim Either LOL So The Door Panels Kinda Felt A Little Restrictive for Me Too. I Was So Excited When I Got To Sit In an 05/S197 for the First Time, Both Issues Were Taken Care Of!
Old 10/30/08, 08:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cavero
The only thing I didn't like about the 94-04's was that the shifter was too close to the dash
That's the reason I got the auto on my 02. All of the dashes were a sign of the times and good for their day.
Old 10/31/08, 06:17 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
wow, that t-bird has a car phone!

I think the 05-09 interior is my favorite, then the first ones. I pretty well hate wood in an interior, and I cant stand the stupid steering wheel in the '68
Old 10/31/08, 06:33 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
wow, that t-bird has a car phone!
I'm Almost Positive That Was An Official FORD Option. I Have Brochures For Them. LOL
Old 10/31/08, 06:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Funny how the early 80s Mustang had a Ford Fairmont dash with improved bezels.
Old 11/1/08, 07:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by htwag
not suprising because the Fox mustang was based on the Ford Fairmont. S197 was the first time the mustang actually had its own origninal platform
Old 11/2/08, 08:46 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by htwag
The full instrumentation with a tach and four small gauges that was standard on the Mustang was also an option on Fairmonts and Zephyrs. Even the same center console with the graphic light monitor display was a shared option. The Fairmont dashboard got further use in the 1981-82 Granada and Cougar sedans with square shaped guages used in place of round ones.

It's also interesting to note that the dash from the 1980-82 Thunderbird was recycled and installed on the 1983 midsize LTD and Marquis which were a restyled Granada and Cougar all based on Fairmont/Zephyr body shells. That same dashboard was refaced to look different for the 1983-84 Thunderbird because there was no money in the budget to do an all new dash until 1985.

When the 1987 Mustang came out the dash was all new and more modern. It became a popular modification to install the 1987-93 Mustang dash in older Fox bodied Fairmonts, Futuras, Zephyrs, Granadas and Cougar sedans. These cars have been popular for years being modified into hot rod sedans with the same performance as the Mustangs which was possible because of the shared platform design and interchangability.