Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Catch can

Search this Thread

Old 9/1/17, 03:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Catch can

I've been using the RX air-oil separator for a couple years and figured I would share some feedback. I put 115 miles on at a track day earlier this week, and the canister was empty at the start. Below is the drained contents at the end of the day.

Get s good, large volume canister if you don't have one already and track your mustang

Old 9/1/17, 03:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,496 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Wow, that is amazing! That's a lot of oil!

Mine only gets a few drops, even after a track day (or two). I don't know if my catch can just does not work, or if the 4.6 does not have as much blow-by as the Coyote due to the compression.
Old 9/1/17, 03:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Not sure, but this is my typical accumulation after a track day or two. The more time spent up at redline, the more I seem to pick up too
Old 9/2/17, 09:57 AM
GT Member

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Oil collected by a catch can doesn't necessarily all come from blow by. Certainly some of it can, but much of what is collected [ or otherwise sucked into the intake manifold without one ] comes from the oil being beaten to a froth by the valve train. Naturally this is more pronounced at high rpm. The Coyote has twice as many camshafts, more valves and a higher rpm capability than the 4.6 so no surprise that it might collect more oil than a 4.6 at a track day or any other time that the car is run hard. Ford has noted that oil temps rise pretty dramatically on the Coyote above 4,000 rpm. Part of this temperature rise probably comes from oil being forced thru the oil pump bypass valve at high rpm and certainly windage & friction from all of the engines moving parts play a role as well. Hot oil is naturally thinner than it is when cooler and is more easily carried in suspension by the air inside the engine so is more easily drawn thru the breather system. This also makes a good case for the installation of a proper oil cooler [ oil to air, not the oil to water used on the Boss 302 and track pack cars ] for anyone that does track days or otherwise runs harder than most especially if you live in a hot climate.