Sponsored By:

Car stalling in cold weather?

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/17, 12:32 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car stalling in cold weather?

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the drivability of my '14 mustang GT (stick car)

My current mods are CJ manifold, JLT intake, monoblade TB, FRPP 47lb injectors and O/R xpipe. Also have the car data logged and tuned by Bama.

The issues I'm having only happens on a cold start and when outside temperatures are 40 degrees or lower.

For example i went out and started my car for the first time today, keep in mind it's 13 degrees here where i am, i backed out of my driveway and then pushed in the clutch to put it into first gear and before i could release the clutch pedal the car stalled on me. I then started the car again and noticed the idle became a little rough, but it smoothed out once i gave it gas.

I find it strange my car drives and idles fine in the summer. I guess my question is, could it be that my car is not properly tuned or could it be an adverse effects of the monoblade TB or possibly something else?

It would be most appreciated if i could get an opinion from you guys on this issue.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12/27/17, 02:53 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Do you have a tuner/data logger? I would start by recording the data and trying to catch it. To me it sounds like a air/fuel ratio problem or something along those lines. My car is tuned by Steeda and I don't have any issues like this.
Old 12/27/17, 09:13 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Do you have a tuner/data logger? I would start by recording the data and trying to catch it. To me it sounds like a air/fuel ratio problem or something along those lines. My car is tuned by Steeda and I don't have any issues like this.
Yes i do and good idea btw. I'll try to catch it while data logging sometime this weekend. I failed to mention that i did recently flash tuned my car from 93 octane to 87 a few days before it stalled on me, perhaps there could be something wrong with my 87 octane tune.

Although my 93 tune hasn't gave me problems with stalling, it isn't the best either. when the car is not at normal operation temperatures it would sometimes hesitate or surge after each shift but only for a couple of minutes until it's warmed up a little, then it runs like a champ. If i recall it even did this during the summer months too.
Old 12/28/17, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
The behavior you're describing is consistent with the tune theory. I wonder if one of your mods is making a difference here and not accounted for in the tune

There are 2 side effects of my tune I notice is that the increased RPM during cold starts is longer by about 30s compared to before, and that when I'm in say 2nd gear at 4000 RPM holding constant throttle and I stomp the gas pedal I can hear the sucking noises from the intake right away, but there is a nearly 1s delay in power delivery. Almost like the throttle opens, but the fuel does not keep up. But if I roll onto the throttle fast in that same situation all is well.