Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

car in shop running lean

Search this Thread

Old 3/6/12, 09:51 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car in shop running lean

Running lean on stock tune. Haven't tuned it yet. Thank god. B1s2 o2 responding real slow. And computer throwing 10% more fuel to try and fix itself. I love working at a dealership. I know the problem then take to Ford to fix and dare them to give me a no problem found response. Hopefully nothing major needs to be done.
Old 3/6/12, 10:13 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by holtywsp
Running lean on stock tune. Haven't tuned it yet. Thank god. B1s2 o2 responding real slow. And computer throwing 10% more fuel to try and fix itself. I love working at a dealership. I know the problem then take to Ford to fix and dare them to give me a no problem found response. Hopefully nothing major needs to be done.
Sorry but you can't get a lean code on a sensor2... only on sensor 1's. So you don't quite know the problem
Old 3/6/12, 10:15 AM
V6 Member

Really. So the o2 problem and lean condition are 2 diff problems. Thanks for the comment. Def thought they could be connected. Glad I told the ford guys both problems. Thank you
Old 3/6/12, 10:18 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Really. So the o2 problem and lean condition are 2 diff problems. Thanks for the comment. Def thought they could be connected. Glad I told the ford guys both problems. Thank you
They are two different codes most likely. You probably have a o2 efficiency code for sensor two. Sensor one is throwing the lean code.
Old 3/6/12, 10:48 AM
V6 Member

No engine light on though. Never has been. Hopefully it set a soft code or something. We will see what ford says. Thanks for all the info
Old 3/6/12, 11:09 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

No engine light on though. Never has been. Hopefully it set a soft code or something. We will see what ford says. Thanks for all the info
No engine light??? You were just randomly searching for codes???
Old 3/6/12, 11:22 AM
V6 Member

Wasn't looking for codes. Was told by Gus at steeda last week to have my o2 checked bc it sounded like one was slow to respond. Then when the tech and I watched them Im real time he noticed the fuel trim was +12% in the short term monitor. So Gus was right. Do have a faulty sensor but the lean condition we saw while checking the o2. It's fords baby now. I just made sure I told the advisor everything that we saw in real time.
Old 3/6/12, 11:24 AM
V6 Member

Plus car just hasn't felt right since thurs of last week. But with no check engine light on I didn't think there was a problem. Just checked today bc I'm tuning my car as soon as the parts get to me. Want to make sure everything is ok before I do though.
Old 3/6/12, 11:47 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Wasn't looking for codes. Was told by Gus at steeda last week to have my o2 checked bc it sounded like one was slow to respond. Then when the tech and I watched them Im real time he noticed the fuel trim was +12% in the short term monitor. So Gus was right. Do have a faulty sensor but the lean condition we saw while checking the o2. It's fords baby now. I just made sure I told the advisor everything that we saw in real time.
Good luck.. if the computer didn't set a code then there isn't a bad enough problem to fix. The computer is able to adjust up to 25% so 12% isn't that bad.
Old 3/6/12, 12:09 PM
V6 Member

I'm ok with that. What about the o2 sensor? That should get fixed. Which is what I was taking it in for in the first place. Just added the lean condition bc it was something else the tech and I saw. Oh well. Just want the o2 fixed. if the techs watch in real time they will see the problem with it. Thanks again for all ur info and helping me out.

Last edited by holtywsp; 3/6/12 at 12:11 PM.
Old 3/6/12, 12:18 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

I'm ok with that. What about the o2 sensor? That should get fixed. Which is what I was taking it in for in the first place. Just added the lean condition bc it was something else the tech and I saw. Oh well. Just want the o2 fixed. if the techs watch in real time they will see the problem with it. Thanks again for all ur info and helping me out.
Lean condition does not indicate a bad sensor... o2 sensors rarely fail. And when they do they stop working they quit all together. They don't switch "slow" you probably have a small vacuum leak or a dirty mass air flow sensor.
Old 3/6/12, 12:25 PM
V6 Member

Wish I could change the title now to faulty o2 sensor instead of car running lean. Oh well. Live and learn right.
Old 3/6/12, 12:31 PM
V6 Member

Either way better to have it fixed now before tuning it. Gus was right the sensor is slow to respond/warm up.
Old 3/6/12, 12:42 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Either way better to have it fixed now before tuning it. Gus was right the sensor is slow to respond/warm up.
It could be bad. But its rare for them to act that way. But it does happen. Good luck
Old 3/6/12, 12:48 PM
V6 Member

Thanks. Still waiting to hear back from dealer
Old 3/6/12, 05:06 PM
V6 Member

Got car back earlier today in same condition. Ford says everything is within specs. But all the fuel trim numbers that I saw this morning (+10-13%) are stored in the short term monitor and haven't gone to long term yet. So no light or code set yet. The land rovers I see everyday will turn on the engine with a +10% or greater fuel trim. So not sure what to do now other than wait and see if the light comes on. Def not tuning the car for a few weeks now. That sucks.
Old 3/6/12, 05:10 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Got car back earlier today in same condition. Ford says everything is within specs. But all the fuel trim numbers that I saw this morning (+10-13%) are stored in the short term monitor and haven't gone to long term yet. So no light or code set yet. The land rovers I see everyday will turn on the engine with a +10% or greater fuel trim. So not sure what to do now other than wait and see if the light comes on. Def not tuning the car for a few weeks now. That sucks.
Told you. 10% is normal. The percentage changes with weather, engine temp, and many other variables. When it hits 20% you will get the light
Old 3/6/12, 06:12 PM
V6 Member

Lol. I know u were right but 20% is way to high to turn on the light. Land rovers turn on the light at 15%. lean is not a good condition. Right? Where could more air be coming in from to have to throw +10% fuel in the motor.

Last edited by holtywsp; 3/6/12 at 06:14 PM.
Old 3/6/12, 07:59 PM
GT Member

Lean is mean!! I'm not sure I understand fully... if it is adding 10% more fuel to the standard map it is compensating for the extra air and it isn't actually running lean - right? That is how fuel injection should work...so you don't need to re-jet (if it were a carb) due to elevation changes etc... Do you have lamda ~ air/fuel sensors in the exhaust so you know what A/F ratio you are running?
Old 3/6/12, 08:25 PM
V6 Member

Cars not tuned yet. Everything stock. I work at a dealer and watched the o2's on a scanner and we happened to see the fuel trim. At time it was at +13%. Didn't seem right to me and a master tech. So I took it in hoping they would see the slow to respond o2 sensor in real time. But I had no light on and there was no codes thrown yet. Gonna give it a few more days and see what happens. Will probably keep checking the o2 sensors like I did today and see if they change from today. Sent a msg to Gus and will wait and see what he says.

Quick Reply: car in shop running lean