2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Car and Driver Feb 09 article

Search this Thread

Old 1/9/09, 10:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We all know they had to go to colored mirrors because they needed the black plastic to make the mutton chops.
What a trade off, boring black plastic mirrors for ugly black plastic around the whole bottom of the car. We have a problem with cheap looking black mirrors but not the cheap black plastic that is everywhere now. Brilliant.
Old 1/9/09, 10:51 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Metro if you're so Hung Up on Japanese and European cars why are you even here? If the Mustang is such a Piece of Crap in your opinion, Why Take the Time to Even Bother Coming Here, Except to cause problems?

I'm done discussing the issues you've got, I'm not a professional who can help those issues.

I will never understand people that are so unhappy that they can't be happy unless they can make everyone else as unhappy as they are, which still doesn't make them happy.

Old 1/9/09, 10:53 AM
GTR Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
DarkCandy: Well I actually like the black plastic rocker panels. It gives the car some contrast and I don't cringe when I have scrape dead worms and leaves from the unpainted surfaces. I see a lot of new white cars with the black rocker panels. It looks like a killer whale (with the colors reversed obviously) or at least the contrast makes it stand out more, just IMHO.

I wouldn't mind swapping my vista rockers for the black plastic rockers.

Last edited by metroplex; 1/9/09 at 10:56 AM.
Old 1/9/09, 11:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it so hard to make the driver feel comfortable while driving the car? I'm 6'3" and 145 lb. I find myself having to reach to grab the wheel once I get the seat adjusted in a comfortable grand touring position. Ford, in its infinite wisdom, actually REMOVED the telescoping wheel feature from its 2008 NA Focus, while every Focus prior to 2008 actually had it. Continuous improvement or continuous cost-cutting?
[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Not to make excuses for Ford, but at 6'3" and 145lbs., you're proportions are at the extreme end of the bell curve. Most Americans would most likely be 245lbs. at that height.(which is heading toward the other end of the curve, but probably closer to the mean) Regardless, I agree with you that Ford should be stepping up their game when it comes to adding content and value. They are too willing to continue offering outdated technology under the guise of "affordability." The solid rear axle in our cars is an example of that. Other manufacturers, like Mazda, seem to be doing a better job. (having owned 2 foci and mazda 5, I have some "hands on" experience) The american consumer is somewhat to blame. Other markets are willing to pay for more content in smaller cars, whereas, here in the US, we see smaller cars as equating to "cheap." I think that's going to change in the future. In the end, the market will decide for Ford. I think Ford is positioned better than GM or Chrysler at this point, but they need to get their rear in gear, or they're gonna get spanked.
Old 1/9/09, 11:44 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
Thanks for looking at one of the LEAST popular Mazdas and using that to represent the entire company. Take a look at the Mazda3 and Mazda6. They do small things each year to improve the car. The MX-5 and RX-8 are niche cars and not something I think of when I see the Mazda brand. Ford sells more GT500s than Mazda sells RX-8s and MX-5s, that should give you an idea of their popularity.
If the RX8 and Miata are "niche" cars, then the Mustang can be considered a "niche car" too, as a Mustang is not a mainstream 4 door sedan or econobox; it's more a weekend toy or a car for "fun" just like an RX8 or Miata. So why are you comparing the Mustang to the Mazda3 and Mazda6?

Ford just doesn't understand design or customer priorities. Body colored mirror covers versus Global Windows, factory optioned Homelink vs. crappy mirror, etc...

Ford has yet to offer a functional sunroof. The glassback looks great but I want the added ventilation/convection cooling of a sunroof in the summer. The first thing that a co-worker asked as she got into the Stang was, "why doesn't it have a sunroof?" I don't want to take it to an aftermarket place to get it installed. It should be a factory option - ready to rock as soon as it comes off the transporter from Flat Rock, MI.
Those are YOUR priorities. Your priorities != everyone's priorities. Heck your priorities don't even line up with the majority of people on this forum. Aren't you the guy who would like 2.73:1 rearend gears in a Mustang GT to get better gas mileage?

Mazda, Subaru, Honda et all don't understand MY PRIORTIES: Why doesn't Mazda, Subaru, Honda etc, offer a RWD, all aluminum 300hp V8 powered, manual transmission equipped two door 4 passenger coupe with classic 60's styling for around $28K? I don't care about electronic gizmos, fancy electronic mirrors, overkill headlights,sunroofs and that sort of fru-fru claptrap. But then those are MY priorities, which I don't automatically assume represent what everyone else wants.

If you need a sunroof to impress your female coworkers, and you don't want to add an aftermarket one, and you don't like the glassroof option, then maybe a Mustang is not the car for you. It sounds like you are trying really really hard to find ways to justify getting away from your Mustang.
Is it so hard to make the driver feel comfortable while driving the car? I'm 6'3" and 145 lb. I find myself having to reach to grab the wheel once I get the seat adjusted in a comfortable grand touring position.
Your priorities for features and options available in a car simply do not match a Mustang. They don't offer all the electronic gadgets you are so fond of. You aren't comfortable in a Mustang. You don't seem to care about V8 power/torque or RWD or classic styling. If you are so unhappy with a Mustang, maybe you ought to sell it and buy that import econobox with all the whiz bang gizmos for you to play with so you won't have to constantly post your griping about Mustangs.
Old 1/9/09, 12:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Whaaa Whaaa Whaaa....

I'm 6'4 and 380, I don't seem to have any issues with driving the Mustang at all. BTW the "Classic Grand Touring Driving Position" is arms straight out holding the wheel at the 3 and 9 position. I can still relax my elbows and hold the wheel at the 3 and 9 in an 05-09 Mustang.

Last edited by TampaBear67; 1/9/09 at 12:01 PM.
Old 1/9/09, 12:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Aston Martin, Jaguar, and Corvettes are old people cars. How many young people between the age of 15-30 are driving new Astons, Jaguars, or new Corvettes? Almost every C6/Z06 owner at work is above the age of 50. On the road, the Vette owners are in varying degrees of baldness with white hair. The wing mirror design on the Corvette also looks like it was made for old men - similar to the MX-5 wing mirror arms.
That's not entirely true. I live out in the Hamptons, and see cars such as these everyday. While the older Jaguars are usually driven by older individuals, I've seen the newer models driven by thirty-somethings, and every Aston Martin that I've seen (which is a lot) has not been driven by old people. As far as Corvettes go, yeah, I've seen many older men driving them, but I've also seen a good amount of new ones driven by younger people as well. I think that saying that mirror covers are for old people cars is a pretty ridiculous statement. Are as far as luxery cars go, Mercedes and Lexus are by far the old person's brand of choice, hands down.

Last edited by instigator311; 1/9/09 at 12:53 PM.
Old 1/9/09, 01:40 PM

Is it just me or is this a retarded argument?
Old 1/9/09, 01:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think everyone is running out of crap to say about this car good or bad. Its just rehashed stuff said with a different twist. This sums it up ,we love it, we hate it, love the muttons, hate the muttons, love the sexy diaper rear, hate the diaper rear, love the candy cane lights, hate the candy cane lights ,blah blah blah, Shawns 50 pics in each thread and now a fake chinese kid. There really is not much more to say until the thing hits the streets.
Where is EIGHTS!

Last edited by RedCandy5.0; 1/9/09 at 01:56 PM.
Old 1/9/09, 04:22 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,606 Posts
Originally Posted by Ice Hawk
I'm curious to find out more about this gas tank and dead battery issue and whether or not it's going to be affecting the 2010s. Any specific posts to look at or site anyone recommends?

Use the search option tab, then type in either dead battery or drained battery, and you'll come across all kinds of threads/posts to look at.

As for the gas tank issue, use the search option again, and follow the same steps.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 1/9/09 at 10:35 PM.
Old 1/9/09, 05:19 PM

You would need a $200 solar charger with sufficient sunlight to maintain your battery. The $30 units don't have enough capacity to maintain the battery, they just provide a tiny trickle charge and that's assuming you get a LOT of sunlight.

VW/Audi has included solar chargers for quite some time but based on my research you need something that can provide as much juice as a tender, and that entails a $150-$200+ solar charger.
Thanks Charlie, for that's exactly what I suspected. And for those who think I'm ragging on the Mustang. That is far from being the truth, as I really enjoy and love my 2005 GT.

I just cannot accept that a battery tender is required, in order to prevent a battery from going dead in a brand new car, which supposedly has such a superior/high-tech computerized electrical system.

Surely with the advancements we have in technology today, you would think these computerized electronic components/systems would also be more efficient. Thus requiring less energy, however it seems as though they require more energy instead.

At any rate, I'm very thankful for having a garage to store my Mustang in, and able to plug a battery tender into. Otherwise, I'd have no other option, but to purchase one of those Prestone portable battery jumper packs.

In the meantime, for those who do not have a garage to store their Mustangs in. What are they supposed to do. Run an extension cord from their house, outside to the curb, and then plug into a battery tender. Yeah right, I'm sure that would be a real practical solution indeed

With that said, the only practical solutions for those who do not have a garage. Have either the option of spending $150.00-$200.00 for a solar charger, and hope there's sufficient sunlight to maintain their battery, or remove the battery altogether. And finally, the last option would be purchasing a portable jumper pack.
Old 1/9/09, 05:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT

a brand new car, which supposedly has such a superior/high-tech computerized electrical system.
Which is exactly why your battery is going dead, Rocky. I just don't understand it though. My Mom never drives her 05 Mustang GT and she's only had a problem Two, Three times Max since she bought it almost 5 years ago, and again only because she doesn't drive the car. I've read that with all of the Electronics on Modern Cars manufacturers are working on upping the systems to a 24 volt battery system, I don't know how true that is but I see it a a logical solution, using modern battery technology like Lithium Ion or NmHd Batteries.

Last edited by TampaBear67; 1/9/09 at 05:36 PM.
Old 1/9/09, 07:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

I left my car sit for a couple weeks and the battery went dead in November. Prior to that, I was driving it more often, so I never had the problem. Also, I've found that at certain gas stations, depending on the pump design, the pump cuts out and I can't fill all the way. Minor annoyances, but still you wouldn't expect this from a modern car. I think that's the only point being made... that it is reasonable to expect certain things from modern cars and Ford has a couple of documented unresolved issues with the mustang. I guess when they were selling better, they could just overlook the problem, but that hardly seems like the best business approach in the long run. The fact that I still love the car and would buy it again given the choice is irrelevant. My audi 2.0 uses oil and I would buy it again too. Doesn't mean it's right.
Old 1/9/09, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by TampaBear67
Which is exactly why your battery is going dead, Rocky. I just don't understand it though. My Mom never drives her 05 Mustang GT and she's only had a problem Two, Three times Max since she bought it almost 5 years ago, and again only because she doesn't drive the car. I've read that with all of the Electronics on Modern Cars manufacturers are working on upping the systems to a 24 volt battery system, I don't know how true that is but I see it a a logical solution, using modern battery technology like Lithium Ion or NmHd Batteries.
Well that makes 2 of us, for I don't understand it either. As you have to operate your vehicle on almost a daily basis, just in order to keep the battery fully charged. Otherwise, if you allow it to sit for weeks at a time. Ford says the battery will discharge, due to normal parasitic draw.

My question, is just what in the hell does Ford consider as normal parasitic draw.
Old 1/9/09, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by smitty
I left my car sit for a couple weeks and the battery went dead in November. Prior to that, I was driving it more often, so I never had the problem. Also, I've found that at certain gas stations, depending on the pump design, the pump cuts out and I can't fill all the way. Minor annoyances, but still you wouldn't expect this from a modern car. I think that's the only point being made... that it is reasonable to expect certain things from modern cars and Ford has a couple of documented unresolved issues with the mustang. I guess when they were selling better, they could just overlook the problem, but that hardly seems like the best business approach in the long run. The fact that I still love the car and would buy it again given the choice is irrelevant. My audi 2.0 uses oil and I would buy it again too. Doesn't mean it's right.

You took the words right out of my mouth, as I totally agree that certain minor annoyances are to be expected, however I should not be required to run a battery tender, or have to operate my car on almost a daily basis. Just in order to prevent my car's battery from being discharged.

As far as I'm concerned, this is something which should not be expected from a modern car, and is also totally unacceptable !
Old 1/10/09, 09:42 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
You took the words right out of my mouth, as I totally agree that certain minor annoyances are to be expected, however I should not be required to run a battery tender, or have to operate my car on almost a daily basis. Just in order to prevent my car's battery from being discharged.

As far as I'm concerned, this is something which should not be expected from a modern car, and is also totally unacceptable !
Agreed, but I think the issue or point being made is the this is not a unique or specific Mustang or Ford problem. It is happening on many different cars from different manufacturers.
Old 1/10/09, 12:55 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by gnat-sum
Agreed, but I think the issue or point being made is the this is not a unique or specific Mustang or Ford problem. It is happening on many different cars from different manufacturers.
But according some people around here, it is acceptable for other manufacturers, but on a Ford Mustang, it is proof of American engineering incompetence and the reason Ford is losing market share.