Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Can the mustang be 'flashed' to work with different keys?

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/11, 01:32 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can the mustang be 'flashed' to work with different keys?

This may be a stupid question, but I'm still pissed off at what happened and not thinking very clearly.

Yesterday my car keys & cell phone (along with 6 of my other friends' stuff) was stolen at the park while we were playing basketball.

I don't think the bastard thief had enough time and/or was smart enough to write down my plates, but for my own peace of mind I want a new set of keys. My car stands out pretty easily and I frequent the area where the keys were stolen so it only makes sense that I don't want the keys that he has to work.

My question is, is it just a matter of reprogramming the car & my spare key? Also, about how much is it for another spare key?

Thanks for any help guys....and Happy New Year
Old 12/31/11, 01:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dealer should be able to reprogram the keyless entry and key chip data. It's probably not that uncommon. The thief could still unlock the doors, but couldn't start the engine. I'm not sure if the alarm goes off when unlocking the door with the key itself.

Last edited by Adam; 12/31/11 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12/31/11, 02:07 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Thanks Adam.

From the little research I've done, it appears I have no choice but to buy another spare if I want to reprogram the keys. This is because the system requires two keys to program a new master.

Now I'm hunting for a cheap spare...
Old 12/31/11, 02:57 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
If the 2011 is anything like the 2005-2009 you need two WORKING keys to program the system.

You can't program a new key with only one key - prevents valets from making a key while you are at dinner for a friend to pick up your car later.

So you need to go to the dealer to have a new key made, they will program the keys and should program it so it is a new code from the old one that was stolen. Once you have two working keys you can program a third key - doing that will cause any key not in your possession to be "de-programmed" for your car, and will give you a second working key to use next time something happens.
Old 12/31/11, 03:02 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by JimC
If the 2011 is anything like the 2005-2009 you need two WORKING keys to program the system.

You can't program a new key with only one key - prevents valets from making a key while you are at dinner for a friend to pick up your car later.

So you need to go to the dealer to have a new key made, they will program the keys and should program it so it is a new code from the old one that was stolen. Once you have two working keys you can program a third key - doing that will cause any key not in your possession to be "de-programmed" for your car, and will give you a second working key to use next time something happens.
thanks, that's exactly what I've been reading.

And I think like adam said, theoretically the thief could still unlock my car with the key but wouldn't be able to start it or anything.
Old 12/31/11, 03:04 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I learned the hard way that it takes 2 keys with a girlfriend's Jeep. Not having a 3rd key cost me $180 bucks at the Stealer! Naturally neither salespeople or Dealer's tell you that when you buy the car.

So now, as soon as I buy a car, I go on ebay and buy a blank (usually $10 bucks) and take it to my locksmith ($10). So if I lose a key I still have 2 and can re-program myself. I've only been burned once where a guy sold one that had the wrong brand transducer in it even though he claimed it worked on 10 Chryslers. Lost $10 because I already had it cut.

But Jim's right - I remember now that once you reprogram, the 'lost' key will no longer work.

Last edited by cdynaco; 12/31/11 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12/31/11, 03:26 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
This may be a stupid question, but I'm still pissed off at what happened and not thinking very clearly.

Yesterday my car keys & cell phone (along with 6 of my other friends' stuff) was stolen at the park while we were playing basketball.

I don't think the bastard thief had enough time and/or was smart enough to write down my plates, but for my own peace of mind I want a new set of keys. My car stands out pretty easily and I frequent the area where the keys were stolen so it only makes sense that I don't want the keys that he has to work.

My question is, is it just a matter of reprogramming the car & my spare key? Also, about how much is it for another spare key?

Thanks for any help guys....and Happy New Year

As you probably know, these keys are expensive. You may want to check with your insurance company. Since it involves the car key, they may cover it. Also, I would be more concerned about my house, since the loser has your cell phone, which most likely has your home address listed somewhere. Were your house keys with the car key? You may want to rekey/replace the house locks.

Last edited by SD CALSPCL; 12/31/11 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12/31/11, 03:41 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Yeah I learned the hard way that it takes 2 keys with a girlfriend's Jeep. Not having a 3rd key cost me $180 bucks at the Stealer! Naturally neither salespeople or Dealer's tell you that when you buy the car.

So now, as soon as I buy a car, I go on ebay and buy a blank (usually $10 bucks) and take it to my locksmith ($10). So if I lose a key I still have 2 and can re-program myself. I've only been burned once where a guy sold one that had the wrong brand transducer in it even though he claimed it worked on 10 Chryslers. Lost $10 because I already had it cut.

But Jim's right - I remember now that once you reprogram, the 'lost' key will no longer work.
Can it still mechanically open the car?

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
As you probably know, these keys are expensive. You may want to check with your insurance company. Since it involves the car key, they may cover it. Also, I would be more concerned about my house, since the loser has your cell phone, which most likely has your home address listed somewhere. Were your house keys with the car key? You may want to rekey/replace the house locks.
Luckily my cell phone was locked, and I don't believe my address is anywhere in there. So unless he somehow figures out the password the cell phone is useless to him.

But you do bring up an excellent point. I still may get the locks replaced anyway.
Old 12/31/11, 03:46 PM
Post *****

Can it still mechanically open the car?
Yup. Unfortunately.

Good idea about checking with insurance.
Old 12/31/11, 04:14 PM

have them re-coded and have them make up a new key "code" so it physically uses a completely different key. this WILL get expensive because you will need to have the door, trunk, and ignition locks will all have to be re-coded, AND you will have to buy at least 2 new keys (approx 125-150 at ford) and then have them programmed to the car. your probably looking at $500 for all of this, possibly more.
Old 12/31/11, 04:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe find a new place to play basketball too.
Old 12/31/11, 04:24 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by MPETE
have them re-coded and have them make up a new key "code" so it physically uses a completely different key. this WILL get expensive because you will need to have the door, trunk, and ignition locks will all have to be re-coded, AND you will have to buy at least 2 new keys (approx 125-150 at ford) and then have them programmed to the car. your probably looking at $500 for all of this, possibly more.
Thanks for that price estimate. That's a little too steep for me. I will probably buy one full replacement key (w/fob) and one cheap blank just so that the other key gets deactivated. From looking online that's already about $110. Don't know how much the dealership will charge to re-program them

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Maybe find a new place to play basketball too.
Definitely this.
Old 12/31/11, 04:32 PM
Post *****

Definitely this.
Or you could just buy another Mustang.

Old 12/31/11, 05:36 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Or you could just buy another Mustang.

BAHAHAHA!!! ^^^
Old 12/31/11, 08:00 PM

does your key have the buttons on the key itself (commonly referred to as an IKT or integrated keyless transmitter) or does it have a plain round black key and a seperate fob with buttons?

the IKT is usually around 125-150 bux, however the non IKT pats key is usually only around 35-75 bux depending on your dealer. the programming procedure is the the same for both keys and will cost the same amount of labor time to program.

good luck.
Old 12/31/11, 08:01 PM

ohh and my guess is having the gun wouldnt have done much good because chances are it would have either been with the keys and phone, or in the car when the key theft happened.
Old 12/31/11, 11:56 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
You mentioned the key fob - be sure you re-program the fob. You can do that with just one fob and until you have the new key and fob I would do that. That will disable the fob that is with the stolen key. So while he can use the key to open the lock (since that isn't electronic and is based simply on the cut in the key) the fob won't work to let him in the car or trunk. If your mechanical locks are like most, they tend to be gunked up from lack of use and the key isn't easy to use.
Old 1/1/12, 02:01 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Originally Posted by MPETE
does your key have the buttons on the key itself (commonly referred to as an IKT or integrated keyless transmitter) or does it have a plain round black key and a seperate fob with buttons?

the IKT is usually around 125-150 bux, however the non IKT pats key is usually only around 35-75 bux depending on your dealer. the programming procedure is the the same for both keys and will cost the same amount of labor time to program.

good luck.
I have the IKT. But for my spares I wouldn't getting the version with the separate fob. Thanks for that suggestion because $35 is a lot cheaper than $85 (cheapest I've seen online)

You mentioned the key fob - be sure you re-program the fob. You can do that with just one fob and until you have the new key and fob I would do that. That will disable the fob that is with the stolen key. So while he can use the key to open the lock (since that isn't electronic and is based simply on the cut in the key) the fob won't work to let him in the car or trunk. If your mechanical locks are like most, they tend to be gunked up from lack of use and the key isn't easy to use.
Thanks will do
Old 1/1/12, 07:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
So was your stuff just piled up on the side of the court or did you have it in your unlocked car?
Old 1/1/12, 11:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I'd leave your car out by the court again and run a sting operation. Wait for the little dirtbag to come back, catch him trying to open the car and have the police waiting!

Quick Reply: Can the mustang be 'flashed' to work with different keys?