Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Camaro 1LE beats Boss for thousands less (supposedly)

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/12, 11:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Camaro 1LE beats Boss for thousands less (supposedly)

I recently saw the youtube video produced by Chevrolet showing the 1LE besting the Boss at VIR with a lap time of 2:58, and apparently the Boss lapped it at 3:02. What the heck is up with this? I know chevy also said the ZL1 could run 11's all day but that has yet to happen. What do you guys have to say?
Old 8/4/12, 05:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say that if the camaro beat the mustang in every way, shape and form AND ran whatever's all day, I'd still buy the Mustang Seriously though, post a link would love to see it.
Old 8/4/12, 11:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SlowRiderr
I recently saw the youtube video produced by Chevrolet showing the 1LE besting the Boss at VIR with a lap time of 2:58, and apparently the Boss lapped it at 3:02. What the heck is up with this? I know chevy also said the ZL1 could run 11's all day but that has yet to happen. What do you guys have to say?
I'm absolutely sure that Chevy ran that BOSS at 100%.
Old 8/4/12, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

I dont believe a **** thing GM claims.....
Old 8/4/12, 12:40 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

As usual, the proof is found in the real-world, and not in marketing bull**** or media hyperbole. I'm sure we'll all know soon enough what the Camaro 1LE is and isn't capable of.
Old 8/4/12, 01:12 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
You guy are hilarious.
How is this any different than what happened in 98? LS1 Camaro came out and it took how many years till the terminator came out to smoke it? You guys actually think Chevy wasn't coming back to win for a couple years at least? Why even bring the car out if it wasn't designed specifically to be a mustang killer? Ford will come right back with an answer to this, but they don't have it yet. No big deal guys. Spend a few extra mod bucks and smoke a few ZL1's. Quit crying and calling shenanigan. Deal with it. Geez.
Old 8/4/12, 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'd like to know what TIRES each car was using.
Old 8/4/12, 03:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ronin38
I'd like to know what TIRES each car was using.
The tires were OEM on both - car and drivers run of the boss and Chevy's run of the 1LE. If you're going to talk about tires, then why would Ford put subpar tires on a track and roadcourse car? A car that costs thousands more than the 37k camaro
Old 8/4/12, 05:31 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by AlsCobra
You guy are hilarious.
How is this any different than what happened in 98? LS1 Camaro came out and it took how many years till the terminator came out to smoke it? You guys actually think Chevy wasn't coming back to win for a couple years at least? Why even bring the car out if it wasn't designed specifically to be a mustang killer? Ford will come right back with an answer to this, but they don't have it yet. No big deal guys. Spend a few extra mod bucks and smoke a few ZL1's. Quit crying and calling shenanigan. Deal with it. Geez.
I'm skeptical, especially in light of the video proudly proclaiming "the ZL1 can do 11.xx all day" Chevy released awhile ago -- not to mention the "simulations" that were quite a bit off. For me, it's going to take a lot more than another video released by GM to convince me that a Camaro SS with no engine modifications and a few suspension, wheel and tire bits taken from the ZL1 parts bin can beat the lighter, more-powerful Boss 302 around VIR in over four seconds. If the time can, in fact, be replicated once the car's released, I'll applaud it and give GM props. Considering the 580-horse ZL1 and its IRS, MRC and PTM helping it around the corners was only 2.4 seconds quicker around Laguna Seca than the Boss LS, I believe I have every right to wait for a third-party test before crowning the 1LE "Boss killer." If that's me crying and calling shenanigans, then **** it. Deal with it. Geez.

Last edited by MARZ; 8/4/12 at 05:33 PM.
Old 8/4/12, 05:37 PM

Nobody said the SS can beat the Boss. But the 1LE might and the ZL1 sure as hell can apparently.
In all honesty, who the hell races a bone stock car anyways?

Last edited by AlsCobra; 8/4/12 at 05:49 PM.
Old 8/4/12, 06:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I love the way Chevy copies everything Ford does.
Old 8/4/12, 06:07 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Nobody said the SS can beat the Boss. But the 1LE might and the ZL1 sure as hell can apparently.
I was saying the 1LE is nothing special, in my opinion. It's essentially a Camaro SS with some ZL1 suspension bits, wheels and tires (but lacking what really makes the ZL1 and great-handling, two-ton car -- Magnetic Ride Control and the electro-nanny PTM system). Had Ford thrown a stock 5.0L Coyote in the Boss and raided the GT500 parts bin to outfit its suspension, it probably would be around $37K, too. That's not what Ford did, though; instead, they created something more unique and special. I guess the numbers are all that are important at the end of the day, though, and I'm curious to see what these cars will do when compared head-to-head on the same track, on the same day, by the same driver. I'm sure we'll all know soon enough.

In all honesty, who the hell races a bone stock car anyways?
I honestly have no idea.

Last edited by MARZ; 8/4/12 at 06:09 PM.
Old 8/4/12, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by MARZ

I was saying the 1LE is nothing special, in my opinion. It's essentially a Camaro SS with some ZL1 suspension bits, wheels and tires (but lacking what really makes the ZL1 and great-handling, two-ton car -- Magnetic Ride Control and the electro-nanny PTM system). Had Ford thrown a stock 5.0L Coyote in the Boss and raided the GT500 parts bin to outfit its suspension, it probably would be around $37K, too. That's not what Ford did, though; instead, they created something more unique and special. I guess the numbers are all that are important at the end of the day, though, and I'm curious to see what these cars will do when compared head-to-head on the same track, on the same day, by the same driver. I'm sure we'll all know soon enough.

I honestly have no idea.
There is going to be certain tracks where the Camaro will perform better than the boss probably. But probably not most of them. A different style of track will make tons of difference I'm sure.
Old 8/4/12, 08:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

I say kudos to Chevy for stepping up to the pump with the 1LE. Competition is a good thing, it keeps everyone working harder to beat the other guy. I'm not the kind of car guy that bashes the competition. So if Chevy can make a great track Camaro, good for them. I'd never buy a Camaro, so it's not that big of a deal to me. I'm quite happy with my Boss.
Old 8/4/12, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by JonW
I say kudos to Chevy for stepping up to the pump with the 1LE. Competition is a good thing, it keeps everyone working harder to beat the other guy. I'm not the kind of car guy that bashes the competition. So if Chevy can make a great track Camaro, good for them. I'd never buy a Camaro, so it's not that big of a deal to me. I'm quite happy with my Boss.
:finally: non hater.
Old 8/4/12, 08:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
:finally: non hater.
Well, I am a somewhat of a "hater" (would rather drive a minivan than a Camaro... better yet a monster truck over a Camaro) but if Chevy puts out a competent car, I see it as nothing but a good thing to keep driving Ford to improve the 'stang still further.
Old 8/4/12, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert

Well, I am a somewhat of a "hater" (would rather drive a minivan than a Camaro...
That's a lie. You know it.
Old 8/4/12, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure the 1LE is a competent, er, competitor to the BOSS, but I will reserve my congratulations to Chevrolet until a truly independent third party evaluates both using at least a semi-scientific methodology (FEELZ BETTUR HURR DURR doesn't count) and declares it a winner. I am not so jaded as to think it's impossible for GM to produce a car as truly unique and special as the BOSS, but based on GM's mawkish corporate structure and constant government meddling, I'm going to say it's highly improbable.
Old 8/4/12, 09:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That's a lie. You know it.
No, it honestly isn't. Nobody notices you in a minivan, and I'd prefer that to being seen in a Camaro. If I won a new Camaro in a lottery, it'd be up for sale within about 3 minutes so I could buy something else...

Part of the feeling comes from a lifelong disdain of Camaro's, and GM suckling at the government teat sealed that aversion in spades.

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 8/4/12 at 09:06 PM.
Old 8/4/12, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
I am not so jaded as to think it's impossible for GM to produce a car as truly unique and special as the BOSS, but based on GM's mawkish corporate structure and constant government meddling, I'm going to say it's highly improbable.
Like the Corvette or maybe the CTSV. Just throwing that out there.

Quick Reply: Camaro 1LE beats Boss for thousands less (supposedly)