Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Buzzing sound coming from left of steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 8/24/10, 07:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buzzing sound coming from left of steering wheel

So I went out to lunch today and when i turned my car on (after lunch) I backed up out of the parking space and heard this loud buzzing sound coming from the headlight controls area to the left of the steering wheel. At first i thought it was my "guidepoint" system going off and got worried so i parked the car, turned it off and turned it back on which stopped the buzzing.

Later on tonight i was driving down the highway and it started again! I noticed a few things. The buzz would almost go silent when i hit the brake pedal, when i turned on the blinker the buzz would follow the tap of the blinker, and finally there would be a slight high pitched noise within the buzz noise that got higher and louder as the rpms when up in the car.

So i got to my girlfriends house and it kept going even after i turned the car off. So i decided to take a video so you guys could hear it (and as proof to a dealer if need be, assuming they'll say "we cant replicate the problem")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Wu-woE8ack

Does anyone have an idea of what this could be? As i said it seems to be coming from the headlight controls with the **** and whatnot to the left of the steering wheel.

The only other thing i would add is that its been raining for about 4 days now and this is the first time the car has seen rain since i got it.

any suggestions?
Old 8/24/10, 07:05 PM
Cobra Member

btw i know its really dark and sorry for all the banging since its raining a **** ton here in the videolol
Old 8/24/10, 07:09 PM
GT Member

Electrical interference coming from the speaker? Thats weird it, sounds like someone put an electric shaver under your dash. I assume you tried turning the lights on and off?

Last edited by FivePointO; 8/24/10 at 08:07 PM.
Old 8/24/10, 07:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Hmm, I'd have to say there's 2 options.

1.) Bees.
2.) There's a wiring issue to your headlights or possibly speaker...
Old 8/24/10, 07:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

From what i could hear, it seems to be somekind of electrical noise. I would just bring it in to the dealership. Could be a lot of things if you ask me. A relay, bad ground somewhere. Who knows.
Make sure you go do a test drive with the Ford tech, so he knows what you're talking about.
Old 8/25/10, 05:37 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by FivePointO
Electrical interference coming from the speaker? Thats weird it, sounds like someone put an electric shaver under your dash. I assume you tried turning the lights on and off?
I was thinking it was some sort of electrical sound so i did turn the headlights to the off position (they were on auto) when the car was off. When i got the headlight **** to the position of "on" the noise got really loud and then went back to the normal sound level when i put it into the off position.

Originally Posted by 2010MustangGT
Hmm, I'd have to say there's 2 options.

1.) Bees.
2.) There's a wiring issue to your headlights or possibly speaker...
Oh no not bees!

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
From what i could hear, it seems to be somekind of electrical noise. I would just bring it in to the dealership. Could be a lot of things if you ask me. A relay, bad ground somewhere. Who knows.
Make sure you go do a test drive with the Ford tech, so he knows what you're talking about.
I dont know what makes it go off though, it seems to be random.
Old 8/25/10, 06:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

someone put a vibrator in your dash..

j/k

sounds like a bad relay or ground as others have mentioned..
Old 8/25/10, 07:08 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by pony racer
someone put a vibrator in your dash..

j/k

sounds like a bad relay or ground as others have mentioned..

After investigating that i can safely say there is no vibrator in my dashboard

But on a more serious note, i think the sound is coming from the speaker. Again my only fear is that it only started now that its been driven in the rain. I hope it isnt leaking somewhere and water caused this to happen
Old 8/26/10, 07:21 AM
Cobra Member

So i brought it to the dealer this morning and they couldn't take it today. Its gonna have to wait until next week. They did have a tech come look at (by look i mean listen) it and he said "well i hear it, but i don't have any ****ing idea what it is"

Couple other things i noticed while driving it. The noise will "chirp" when i put the car into reverse and it seems like the noise will also "chirp" with the right blinker but not the left. I really think its coming from the top speaker on the drivers side door now. I'm really hoping this isnt some kind of water damage, but since its gonna be 90 and not humid this weekend and into next week (after a ton of rain the past 4 days and it being the first time the car has seen rain) we shall see if it stops.
Old 8/30/10, 09:41 AM
Cobra Member

Another update, the noise has stopped (as i was afraid would happen) I would bet that this has something to do with the 4 days of rain since it stopped once my town dried out.

Anyone speculate as to where water could be coming in?

After the noise stopped there was no sound coming from the speaker for a day or so and now there is perfect sound coming out.

Last edited by Ethanjbeau; 8/30/10 at 09:43 AM.
Old 8/30/10, 09:45 AM
Cobra R Member

hmm, if it's by the speaker or so, I'd have to say the window lining? You wouldn't have gotten your windows tinted recently have you? As that can play with the door panel and the window itself...
Old 8/30/10, 12:10 PM
Cobra R Member

so go get a garden sprinkler and let it give your car a good bath...it noise starts up again,you have your issue....
Old 8/30/10, 01:41 PM
Cobra Member

hmm, if it's by the speaker or so, I'd have to say the window lining? You wouldn't have gotten your windows tinted recently have you? As that can play with the door panel and the window itself...
Now that you mention it i did get the windows tinted about 3-4 weeks ago.
Old 8/30/10, 01:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Yea maybe the felt lining has been taken out of form or there's a puncture which is then seeping down to the speaker, something along those lines. It can happen... you may need the felt lining replaced then.

Old 8/30/10, 02:10 PM
Cobra Member

Yea maybe the felt lining has been taken out of form or there's a puncture which is then seeping down to the speaker, something along those lines. It can happen... you may need the felt lining replaced then.

How do you get the door panel off?

It's still going to the dealership on thursday but if i look at it before hand and see thats the problem i might go back to my tinting place and grill them about it
Old 8/30/10, 02:27 PM
Cobra R Member

You can check out this vid on how to remove it. It's actually not too bad.

Old 8/30/10, 03:38 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks man, ill try to do that tonight
Old 8/31/10, 12:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Keep us updated on what the dealership says... just interesting reading this. Hopefully your problem will be resolved for good.
Old 8/31/10, 01:47 AM
Cobra R Member

oh boy how i wish my 93 panel was that easy to take apart...no more clips that get ruined....nice!!!
Old 9/2/10, 12:25 PM
Cobra Member

Just got it back from the dealership.

They said they couldn't find anything wrong. They tested the ACM module (not sure what that is) and checked the grounds. Everything was fine.

They also called Ford to see if anything like this had been reported before and apparently that didn't lead to anything.

Sooooo... i guess thats where its gonna end until it happens again (my best would be next time it rains for a long period of time) Its gonna rain a **** ton tomorrow night thanks to hurricane earl but the mustang will be safely in the garage away from falling trees and flying cows.

Quick Reply: Buzzing sound coming from left of steering wheel