Sponsored By:

Brembo / Track Pack Spare Tire Summary and Question

Search this Thread

Old 5/28/14, 01:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Brembo / Track Pack Spare Tire Summary and Question

Hi everyone!

I apologize in advance for the long post. At the risk of beating an equine past its natural expiration date, I'd like to clarify options for spare tires on the Brembo / Track Pack GTs.

To summarize the problem, the Brembo / Track Pack cars come with a tire mobility kit (also called a temporary mobility kit) instead of a mini spare tire. Some motorists who live in or travel through rural areas are uncomfortable with the level of security the mobility kit provides.

The problem is compounded by the fact that the 17" aluminum mini spare that comes with the GT will not clear the Brembo brakes in the front. Moreover, though it fits on the back, some have voiced concern that the mini spare should not be installed on the rear either because the overall diameter is approximately 1" smaller than the full size tire and this can cause undue wear to the Torsen differential (due to heat and lubricant breakdown) or locking differential (due to undue wear on the internal clutch).

The best (admittedly a pretty good) solution I've seen so far is to obtain a Drag DR-34 or DR-50 18x7 wheel and install a 225/50/18 tire, which will give a "full size" spare that clears the Brembos in the front and has a similar overall diameter to the other wheels and thus can be installed without fear on the rears as well. The only drawback is that when stowed the tire will stick out of the wheel well approximately 1.5".

In addition to my Track Pack GT, I also have an S2000 (at least for the time being). The S2000 has a Torsen differential and a mini spare that also doesn't match the overall diameter of the other tires. The driver is advised to replace only the FRONT tire with the mini spare. If the flat is on the rear, the driver should install the mini spare on the front and replace the flat rear tire with the good front tire. I would also be okay with this setup for the GT in a pinch (i.e., if I had a blowout far from civilization), if I could just find a compact spare that would clear the Brembos.

So my question is: Is it possible to also solve this problem with a narrower wheel (presumably 1-1.5" narrower), wheel offset, and / or wheel spacers? Also if anyone has measurements on the aluminum GT spare that might be helpful to me or others who don't want to give up on the compact spare idea.

Thanks for sticking with me on this long post, and any info to move toward a working compact spare would be appreciated.

Last edited by berzerk_1980; 5/28/14 at 02:02 AM.
Old 5/28/14, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know it will probably be an expensive spare tire but I was wondering if one of the those weld drag racing skinny wheels or another brand would fit in the wheel well. I know they definately wouldnt stick out and they make ones that clear the brembos.
Old 5/28/14, 12:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I plan on picking up one 17" SVE drag wheel and front skinny tire from Late Model Resto to use as my mini spare. If I have a flat on the back, I'll switch a front tire to the rear and put the spare on the front.
Old 5/28/14, 12:52 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Keep in mind the spare well is 8.5 deep and 27.5 across (assuming its the same as 08's).
If it sticks up a bit (like my Marauder mini does) just put a 1/4" piece of plywood over it and cover it with the carpet. Looks fine and I'm able to fill the trunk with coolers, suitcase, etc just fine on trips. The weight is minimal and if you're going to be doing something where weight matters, just take it all out for that day.
Old 5/28/14, 02:54 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Got this wheel: http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-amr-18x8-0513.html
I fitted a 225/50R18 tire to this wheel and it fits in the trunk space just fine. Just an FYI: If your mustang is lowered make sure you get a jack that is lower than 4 inches when compressed so it will fit under the side skirts with a flat tire.
Old 5/28/14, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Moreover, though it fits on the back, some have voiced concern that the mini spare should not be installed on the rear either because the overall diameter is approximately 1" smaller than the full size tire and this can cause undue wear to the Torsen differential (due to heat and lubricant breakdown) or locking differential (due to undue wear on the internal clutch).
The Torsen T-2 differential is mini-spare compatible:
http://www.torsen.com/products/T-2.htm
Old 5/29/14, 12:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 14gt14
I know it will probably be an expensive spare tire but I was wondering if one of the those weld drag racing skinny wheels or another brand would fit in the wheel well. I know they definately wouldnt stick out and they make ones that clear the brembos.

This is a good idea I didn't think of. I noticed the 4.5" rim says "drag racing only." Do we think this can hold up to highway use (rocks and stuff)?

Originally Posted by laserred38
I plan on picking up one 17" SVE drag wheel and front skinny tire from Late Model Resto to use as my mini spare. If I have a flat on the back, I'll switch a front tire to the rear and put the spare on the front.
Same as above, I'm also a little concerned that a super skinny spare might be dangerous on the highway? Also, is it easy enough to buy rubber?

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Keep in mind the spare well is 8.5 deep and 27.5 across (assuming its the same as 08's).
Thanks for the dimensions. Anyone confirm the size for is about right for the 11+?

Originally Posted by califsp
Got this wheel: http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-amr-18x8-0513.html
I fitted a 225/50R18 tire to this wheel and it fits in the trunk space just fine.
No sticky-uppy? This looks promising. Are you able to use the OEM hardware to secure it? If not, does it just float or do you have it secured in some way?

Originally Posted by mfc133
The Torsen T-2 differential is mini-spare compatible:
http://www.torsen.com/products/T-2.htm
I had read this before. We have a T-2 right? Do we know if "mini-spare compatible" has any stipulations we should know about (like when they say "less than 50 mph for less than 50 miles" in the owner's manual)?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has tried the 17" OEM aluminum spare with a spacer? Or do you need the 18" diameter to clear the Brembos?

Also, people with a solution, did you buy a Ford jack and bracket, or what are you using?
Old 5/29/14, 12:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I don't see why the drag skinnies couldn't be used on the freeway - they're street legal tires. Obviously having the spare on the car isn't ideal, whether it's a dedicated "mini spare donut," a mismatched narrow tire on an 18" AMR, or a drag wheel. I figured I'd have a little fun with my spare lol
Old 5/29/14, 02:27 AM
Post *****

Also, people with a solution, did you buy a Ford jack and bracket, or what are you using?
I bought a Mustang jack used. But I don't really like it - the crank is attached to the end of the jack and you have to flip it back and forth for each 180* turn.
I prefer a jack with a nut on the end that I use a speed wrench on. I carry that and a breaker bar (instead of a 4 way) in my kit.
Old 5/29/14, 09:24 AM
Bullitt Member

I had read this before. We have a T-2 right? Do we know if "mini-spare compatible" has any stipulations we should know about (like when they say "less than 50 mph for less than 50 miles" in the owner's manual)?
I would still treat it like a temporary spare and stick to the 50mph/50mi rule. You need a full size spare if you want more capability than that.

The Boss 302 and Track Pack GTs have a T-2 style Torsen:
http://www.torsen.com/files/Ford%20M...2%20Torsen.pdf
Old 5/29/14, 09:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I would still treat it like a temporary spare and stick to the 50mph/50mi rule. You need a full size spare if you want more capability than that. The Boss 302 and Track Pack GTs have a T-2 style Torsen: http://www.torsen.com/files/Ford%20M...2%20Torsen.pdf
I agree, but for me I was thinking about getting a drag setup just for fun, and I would daily it. That said, I commute during rush hour, so I wouldn't be exceeding 50mph anyways
Old 5/29/14, 11:49 AM
Bullitt Member

I agree, but for me I was thinking about getting a drag setup just for fun, and I would daily it. That said, I commute during rush hour, so I wouldn't be exceeding 50mph anyways
I think the drag skinnies would be fine on the freeway. I've seen plenty of cars drive to the track and home on skinnies.
Old 5/29/14, 01:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I think the drag skinnies would be fine on the freeway. I've seen plenty of cars drive to the track and home on skinnies.
Old 5/29/14, 02:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Oh, now I understand. You'd have three of the front wheels, and your spare would essentially be a matching full size spare. Pretty cool idea.
Old 5/29/14, 02:21 PM
Post *****

I'm told they can be squirrely.
Old 5/29/14, 02:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh, now I understand. You'd have three of the front wheels, and your spare would essentially be a matching full size spare. Pretty cool idea.
Kinda haha, I was thinking about having the drag setup to switch on and off, but I'd keep the skinny in the trunk as my spare no matter what wheels were on the car
Old 5/29/14, 05:20 PM

I had that concern too about the skinny drag tires but I figured if they were safe enough to do 150mph on the track, then it should be fine to temporarily get me home at 50mph.
Old 5/29/14, 05:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by 14gt14
I had that concern too about the skinny drag tires but I figured if they were safe enough to do 150mph on the track, then it should be fine to temporarily get me home at 50mph.
Exactly lol. Obviously the track is a but different than a bumpy freeway, but it should be fine.
Old 5/30/14, 09:18 AM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my previous ride, I ran around town with 20's and a seriously crazy drop for around 2-3 years. Didn't have a donut in the back either. I had a flat once, and simply called the roadside service. No big deal, just an extra 30 mins of your life that you'll lose. Now, I wouldn't think about going on a long trip without a spare...so I guess the Coyote will be staying near home base for the rest of the foreseeable future...no biggie!! BTW...it was a GS430.

Brembo / Track Pack Spare Tire Summary and Question-img00020-20110114-1726.jpg
Old 6/9/14, 06:35 PM
GT Member

Looks like I'll be making a spare. Walked out from work this morning... 1600 miles on it. Completely flat.

I used the mobility kit, it worked - took it to the dealer and they didn't change out the pressure monitor or anything. Is it going to need replaced?

Last edited by SeaFoam; 6/9/14 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Brembo / Track Pack Spare Tire Summary and Question