2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Brake help....decisions??

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/13, 03:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger
If you're not tracking the car, why change the brakes at all? They're more than capable of stopping anything in daily driving...
Well some people drive hard enough to need brakes that are better than the stock brakes, such as me, and then there are people that simply want them there as an appearance item, and other that want them for the what-if scenario's.

Secondly, the 14" Brembo's are probably capable of shaving off 20ft+ for a stop from 80mph, so this could mean the difference between an incident and not.

Lastly, the Brembo calipers will off more consistent braking ability over the life of the pads, as the Brembo 4 or 6 piston units are fixed (non-floating) calipers with pistons on each side for more equal clamping force.
Old 7/13/13, 04:46 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by kn7671
Well some people drive hard enough to need brakes that are better than the stock brakes, such as me, and then there are people that simply want them there as an appearance item, and other that want them for the what-if scenario's.

Secondly, the 14" Brembo's are probably capable of shaving off 20ft+ for a stop from 80mph, so this could mean the difference between an incident and not.

Lastly, the Brembo calipers will off more consistent braking ability over the life of the pads, as the Brembo 4 or 6 piston units are fixed (non-floating) calipers with pistons on each side for more equal clamping force.
I doubt you drive harder than me and the stock brakes have been fine so far.
Old 7/14/13, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TheReaper

I doubt you drive harder than me and the stock brakes have been fine so far.
Didn't know this was a measuring contest fellow. My brakes get used up from high speed braking, and after enough hard heat cycles, the stock rotors have warped enough to effect braking efficiency and suffer from braking pulsation.

While I agree the stock brakes work okay on the street for most drivers, I prefer to have better brakes available to me at any time. Each person needs to decide how much braking they need, not someone else justifying how that since stock brakes are fine for them, they must be good for everyone else.
Old 7/14/13, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I decided to go with EDC Ultimax rotors, Redstuff brake pads & Goodridge stainless steel brake lines. This should give me the extra braking I want without spending a ton of cash.