2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Boss intake on 5.0 - Livernois

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/11 | 11:47 AM
GTR Member

Boss intake on 5.0 - Livernois

Found this on a local forum, decided to share it.

Our dyno results were similar to others I've found online. They seem to lose power down low, but carry the power out much further up top. The graph below was a test on our auto car with a stock intake vs. the BOSS. We saw a gain of 59 RWHP at 7,400 RPM's. I have a feeling cams are going to make some good power on this car.

Mods are:

Livernois Motorsports 12:1 Pistons
Livernois Motorsports Stage 1 CNC Heads (Stock Cams)
BOSS Manifold
Stainless Works Headers, Catted Mid-Pipe, and Catback
CAI
4.10 Ring & Pinion
Circle D Stall Converter
Livernois Motorsports 1-Piece Aluminum Driveshaft
Livernois Motorsports Dyno Tune
FRPP Springs & Adjustable Shocks/Struts
Drag Radials/Skinnies

Since the graph displays blurry, stock intake numbers were 428/393 and BOSS intake numbers were 441/379. At 7,400 rpm's it was up 59 RWHP / 39 RWTQ.

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports
Old 2/15/11 | 11:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

That's to be expected. The intake is designed for a car that is meant to be on a road coarse where you want lots of rpm and power up there.

For a street car you're going to make more usable power with the factory manifold I think.

But this is certainly an option for somebody that wants to build a track car out of their ''11+ GT!
Old 2/15/11 | 11:52 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by jlmounce
That's to be expected. The intake is designed for a car that is meant to be on a road coarse where you want lots of rpm and power up there.

For a street car you're going to make more usable power with the factory manifold I think.

But this is certainly an option for somebody that wants to build a track car out of their ''11+ GT!
I think this manifold will be a very sought after mod once they're released to the public.
Old 2/15/11 | 12:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't see any drawback of using it as a street car...Looks like your just gaining the top end that our 5.0's don't have and keeping everything else as well

looks like she sings at 7400 ****! 50+hp up top is pretty wild

Last edited by LLZuB; 2/15/11 at 12:28 PM.
Old 2/15/11 | 12:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Any idea of the price of that Boss intake !
Old 2/15/11 | 12:40 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Any idea of the price of that Boss intake !
$600 from FRPP site. AM has it advertised for $549.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/boss-i...ld-2011gt.html
Old 2/15/11 | 01:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LLZuB
I don't see any drawback of using it as a street car...Looks like your just gaining the top end that our 5.0's don't have and keeping everything else as well

looks like she sings at 7400 ****! 50+hp up top is pretty wild
Keep in mind that this intake won't function the same on a stock engine as it does on the engine tested.

You've got a pretty significant bump in compression and the head work makes the intake work differently as well.

There's still close to a 50 point drop off in torque through the mid-range. That could be quite a bit more on a factory stock engine.

Additionally, I don't know that I would trust the factory rods at those rpm's. Stress and flexing of the rods grows exponentially as rpm increases. Add lots of power on top of that and it's a recipe to go boom.

Although I am happy to see that it appears the factory valve-train is still capable of turning those rpms. I wonder how much if any valve float may be occurring.
Old 2/15/11 | 01:18 PM
GTR Member

Keep in mind that this intake won't function the same on a stock engine as it does on the engine tested.

You've got a pretty significant bump in compression and the head work makes the intake work differently as well.

There's still close to a 50 point drop off in torque through the mid-range. That could be quite a bit more on a factory stock engine.

Additionally, I don't know that I would trust the factory rods at those rpm's. Stress and flexing of the rods grows exponentially as rpm increases. Add lots of power on top of that and it's a recipe to go boom.

Although I am happy to see that it appears the factory valve-train is still capable of turning those rpms. I wonder how much if any valve float may be occurring.
I'm sure any reputable tuner can safely tune a less modified car to respond safely to the new manifold.
Old 2/15/11 | 01:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I'm sure any reputable tuner can safely tune a less modified car to respond safely to the new manifold.
Sure you can limit RPM to the safe limit for the factory internals, but then you lose out on the whole design purpose of that intake.

Think of that intake as a high rise single plane manifold found on muscle cars. It's designed with short runners that shotgun directly into the combustion chambers. By nature it's a manifold designed for high RPM operation. Where it really outperforms the factory intake is above the 7000rpm redline.

So if you tune it and don't pump the rpms' you don't gain nearly as much. You end up getting a big gain for about 500rpm, but end up losing a good bit of torque through the mid-range.

Now if you're shifting near 8000 rpm with our close ratio gears, this intake makes a ton of sense. That's why it's on the boss in the first place.

I'm not saying the intake doesn't work or is crap, it's not. It's just designed for a purpose other than street performance. My opinion is that for a street car utilizing the factory stock engine, the money could be better spent elsewhere.

This all assumes that 7000 or around there is the true safe/reliable limit of the factory rotating assembly. If it's proven that the factory internals can rotate quicker without issue, then the intake makes more sense even on the factory engine.
Old 2/15/11 | 02:09 PM
FR500 Member

For anyone thinking of doing this mod with stock heads, I would suggest holding off until someone puts up dyno number for that combo. As was stated above, the loss down low might more than offset the gains up high, especially if you plan to stay within the stock redline. The only way to know for sure is to create a chart with the dyno results and your car's gearing to see what happens with the ideal shift points, etc. Then you will know if it's worth the coin.
Old 2/15/11 | 02:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by PTRocks
For anyone thinking of doing this mod with stock heads, I would suggest holding off until someone puts up dyno number for that combo. As was stated above, the loss down low might more than offset the gains up high, especially if you plan to stay within the stock redline. The only way to know for sure is to create a chart with the dyno results and your car's gearing to see what happens with the ideal shift points, etc. Then you will know if it's worth the coin.
Here you go on a manual car. Just a few quick runs before JJ gets down and dirty with it. The JLT CAI isn't idea for the angle of the Boss Intake.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...=1#post1672618

Originally Posted by Overboost
$600 from FRPP site. AM has it advertised for $549.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/boss-i...ld-2011gt.html
It was going from a lot less than that until a vendor went crying to Ford.

Last edited by bpmurr; 2/15/11 at 02:19 PM.
Old 2/15/11 | 02:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by bpmurr
Here you go on a manual car. Just a few quick runs before JJ gets down and dirty with it. The JLT CAI isn't idea for the angle of the Boss Intake.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/s...=1#post1672618
Yeah this pretty much shows exactly what I was saying. Roughly the same power, but a significant torque drop around 4000 rpm over the factory intake, until about 500 rpm before redline and which point you gain about 20 hp.

Ir your wrapping the engine well past 7000 rpm this intake makes huge gains and is well worth it! I still state for a street car with basic bolt-ons it'll be pointless.

I wonder how that might change adding a little positive manifold pressure to the mix? But then, that only exacerbates the high rpm reliability issues.
Old 2/15/11 | 02:28 PM
Bullitt Member

It'll be like driving and S2000...but with tons more power down low as well...but if anyone has driven that car...all the fun is in the top end where it screams....this manifold will be the same
Old 2/15/11 | 02:30 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Sure you can limit RPM to the safe limit for the factory internals, but then you lose out on the whole design purpose of that intake.

Think of that intake as a high rise single plane manifold found on muscle cars. It's designed with short runners that shotgun directly into the combustion chambers. By nature it's a manifold designed for high RPM operation. Where it really outperforms the factory intake is above the 7000rpm redline.

So if you tune it and don't pump the rpms' you don't gain nearly as much. You end up getting a big gain for about 500rpm, but end up losing a good bit of torque through the mid-range.

Now if you're shifting near 8000 rpm with our close ratio gears, this intake makes a ton of sense. That's why it's on the boss in the first place.

I'm not saying the intake doesn't work or is crap, it's not. It's just designed for a purpose other than street performance. My opinion is that for a street car utilizing the factory stock engine, the money could be better spent elsewhere.

This all assumes that 7000 or around there is the true safe/reliable limit of the factory rotating assembly. If it's proven that the factory internals can rotate quicker without issue, then the intake makes more sense even on the factory engine.
This makes sense to me. The street Boss cars are limited to 7,500 but the race teams rev them to 8,000. The Boss cars are limited to 7,500 so they'll last 100,000 miles. I wonder why Livernois didn't rev their built engine to 8,000?

Woodbine Mortosports did install the intake on a relatively stock car with similar results. Read about it here.
Old 2/15/11 | 02:32 PM
Post *****

Roughly the same power, but a significant torque drop around 4000 rpm over the factory intake, until about 500 rpm before redline and which point you gain about 20 hp.

Ir your wrapping the engine well past 7000 rpm this intake makes huge gains and is well worth it! I still state for a street car with basic bolt-ons it'll be pointless.
I agree. Its great for the track and high rpm's, but most of us want usable street power and torque - including that push in the seats leaving stoplights (like the old pushrods). And because the Mustang V8's are plenty powerful, we risk our licenses as it is - just blowing the carbon out. lol
So extending the top end is really only for track use. IMO

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/15/11 at 02:39 PM.
Old 2/15/11 | 02:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
This makes sense to me. The street Boss cars are limited to 7,500 but the race teams rev them to 8,000. The Boss cars are limited to 7,500 so they'll last 100,000 miles. I wonder why Livernois didn't rev their built engine to 8,000?

Woodbine Mortosports did install the intake on a relatively stock car with similar results. Read about it here.
Livernois knows what they're doing. If I had to take a guess, I'd say valve-train limitation. There's a ton of moving parts there that I'm not certain the factory 5.0 can really handle 8000+rpm.

Just my guess anyway.
Old 2/15/11 | 03:12 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Livernois knows what they're doing. If I had to take a guess, I'd say valve-train limitation. There's a ton of moving parts there that I'm not certain the factory 5.0 can really handle 8000+rpm.

Just my guess anyway.
I reread their mods and you're correct they didn't mod the valve train. But they got pretty close to 8,000.
Old 2/15/11 | 03:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5 DOT 0
I reread their mods and you're correct they didn't mod the valve train. But they got pretty close to 8,000.
Yeah, that really impresses me actually. I'd be interested in seeing how much float or valve bounce is occurring with the stock valve-train at those speeds.
Old 2/16/11 | 11:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

While you loose a little lower down low you gain a lot up high. With 3.73 gears you'd be shifting down in the sweet area of the power band and that makes things even better, even for street use.
Old 2/17/11 | 12:49 AM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

all this talk about no good for the street, i am confused, am I the only guy who winds his 5.0 to past 7,000 every single time I drive the car?

I dont know about you guys but on ramps are always a 100% throttle affair for me, and some stop lights too. It keeps me sane.

The benifit of a high winding intake would be of benifit for me on the street. And a HUGE benifit when ia m on track (which is a ton).

Quick Reply: Boss intake on 5.0 - Livernois