2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Big Shout Out to Diode Dynamics and Demonized Designs

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/14, 11:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Agreed. I work with an old engineer here and one of his "Ism's" is, "The devil is in the details". Quite true! Side marker tint is one of those details that when left undone, the car looks good but there is something missing. Tint them and it makes all the difference. It's a "Who knew?" moment. Gotta get the tint on mine now. For what it's worth I think you should do the rear markers too. Personal preference I guess.

I like the daytime look of the fogs with the blacked out reflectors. Too bad for me it reduces their effectiveness that much. That makes it a no go for me. I want them at full function for the odd times I do drive at night. Oh well~

John
Old 9/2/14, 04:00 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Horspla
Agreed. I work with an old engineer here and one of his "Ism's" is, "The devil is in the details". Quite true! Side marker tint is one of those details that when left undone, the car looks good but there is something missing. Tint them and it makes all the difference. It's a "Who knew?" moment. Gotta get the tint on mine now. For what it's worth I think you should do the rear markers too. Personal preference I guess. I like the daytime look of the fogs with the blacked out reflectors. Too bad for me it reduces their effectiveness that much. That makes it a no go for me. I want them at full function for the odd times I do drive at night. Oh well~ John
John, I plan on the rear sidemarkers too. As far as the tint and fog lights, the dechromed housing affects the look more than the tint. My halos are so bright you can't tell the fogs are on . So no need fogs...
Old 9/3/14, 06:50 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
These look great. Nicely done. I PMed Diode Dynamics because I want those halos you've got. Although since I drive to work in the dark every morning, I won't be blacking out my housings. I'd like to have mine tied into the DRL LEDs on my 2014 though so that they're always on and I don't have to turn on the parking lights to activate them. Not sure if that's possible though.
Old 9/3/14, 06:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FromZto5
I looked at the tint again today...wow. It really makes and complete the car.

it looks great, Burton. Let's face it though. Your car will never be "complete"

You WILL always find something that you want to change
Old 9/3/14, 07:44 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by John H
These look great. Nicely done. I PMed Diode Dynamics because I want those halos you've got. Although since I drive to work in the dark every morning, I won't be blacking out my housings. I'd like to have mine tied into the DRL LEDs on my 2014 though so that they're always on and I don't have to turn on the parking lights to activate them. Not sure if that's possible though.
Ask for Nick C. He will hook you up. The 2014s are a different sized halo. So make sure you get the right ones.

Originally Posted by JoeMidnight
it looks great, Burton. Let's face it though. Your car will never be "complete" You WILL always find something that you want to change
Amen to that joe... I was just being metaphorical
Old 9/3/14, 08:38 AM
Cobra Member

Ask for Nick C. He will hook you up. The 2014s are a different sized halo.
Nick just responded to my PM and informed me that it's risky to open up the LED dog lights that the 2014 'a have because the heat required to separate the parts could damage the factory LEDs. I suppose I could risk it and if they do get damaged, just buy replacement LED fog light bulbs. But I don't know how much those would cost. Bummer.
Old 9/5/14, 04:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Confused here?!?! The LED fog light bulbs on my 13' come out just like regular bulbs, so why not remove them before heating up to separate the housing?!?!
Old 9/5/14, 08:42 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
Confused here?!?! The LED fog light bulbs on my 13' come out just like regular bulbs, so why not remove them before heating up to separate the housing?!?!
THIS ^ I was wondering the same thing. I'm not sure I understand the process fully...

So you send if your fog light housing to Diode Dynamics and then take it apart and install the CCFL halo, is that right?

How does the wiring work? Do they splice the wires into the LED fog light bulb so when you get it back you just plug it in? Or do you need to do that yourself after they are done with it?
Old 9/5/14, 09:15 AM
I Have No Life

Nick just responded to my PM and informed me that it's risky to open up the LED dog lights that the 2014 'a have because the heat required to separate the parts could damage the factory LEDs. I suppose I could risk it and if they do get damaged, just buy replacement LED fog light bulbs. But I don't know how much those would cost. Bummer.
Originally Posted by MADSCOTSMAN
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
THIS ^ I was wondering the same thing. I'm not sure I understand the process fully...

So you send if your fog light housing to Diode Dynamics and then take it apart and install the CCFL halo, is that right?

How does the wiring work? Do they splice the wires into the LED fog light bulb so when you get it back you just plug it in? Or do you need to do that yourself after they are done with it?
Ok... Just read all this. Sorry for the delay. I too, am confused by John H.'s comments. The oem fog light itself, at least for 10-12's, have an opening for a bulb (stock = halogen, I have LED's). I'm not quite sure for 13's and 14's, but it sounds like from what you are saying, is an LED bulb too? If that is true, yes, I don't see why you wouldn't REMOVE the bulb before have it "worked on". I think either John H. or Nick from Diode is confusing the HEADLIGHTS with the FOG LIGHTS. The 13/14 headlight assemblies DO have the LED drl's as part of the headlight assembly, correct? I think that's what happened...confusion on head vs fog lights.

Now...given that, the process for installing the halos involves sending over your OEM fog lights or headlights to an installer (Diode Dynamics does not perform the actual install. They make and sell the LED's themselves). He opens it up. Installs the LED's. Seals it back up. Sends it back to you. The wiring is part of the halo light itself. Power and Ground. You connect to wherever you want it. Always hot, parking, or even switch. Your call.

As my thread title states, my installer was Jeff from Demonized Designs. Great guy. Nebraska based. I highly recommend him. He'll be a big name soon enough. I will forward him this post, and have him sign up as a vendor on this forum and have him chime in.

Sound good?
Old 9/5/14, 09:34 AM
Supporting Vendor

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
If you can remove the LEDs from the 2013-2014 fog light housings, then you could install the same Halos that Burton has without creating any issues.

I'm fairly certain that the 2013-2014 LED fog lights are an assembly (they can't be removed like a simple bulb) and therefore shouldn't be baked with the LED in there.

Heat is the biggest enemy of LEDs and putting the housings in the oven with those LEDs still installed will greatly reduce their lifespan if not ruin them altogether.

If a member can confirm for us that the LED assembly can be removed from those housings, then yes, you can add Angel eyes like Burton did.

Also, if you have a pre-2013 model and want to do the same thing Burton did, I suggest installing a brighter LED fog light if you are concerned with output. The ones he has installed will create around 400 lumens vs. our new XML2's that create 1,420 lumens

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, please feel free to give us a call: (314) 205-3033

Thanks!
Nick C.
Old 9/5/14, 09:40 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
If you can remove the LEDs from the 2013-2014 fog light housings, then you could install the same Halos that Burton has without creating any issues.

I'm fairly certain that the 2013-2014 LED fog lights are an assembly (they can't be removed like a simple bulb) and therefore shouldn't be baked with the LED in there.

Heat is the biggest enemy of LEDs and putting the housings in the oven with those LEDs still installed will greatly reduce their lifespan if not ruin them altogether.

If a member can confirm for us that the LED assembly can be removed from those housings, then yes, you can add Angel eyes like Burton did.

Also, if you have a pre-2013 model and want to do the same thing Burton did, I suggest installing a brighter LED fog light if you are concerned with output. The ones he has installed will create around 400 lumens vs. our new XML2's that create 1,420 lumens

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have, please feel free to give us a call: (314) 205-3033

Thanks!
Nick C.
I installed the CS fog lights and cannot find a decent LED bulb to fit them. Which one do you recommend ?
Old 9/5/14, 09:52 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics

Thanks!
Nick C.
Thanks a ton Nick. I think we will need you to "shed some light", pun definitely INTENDED

As far as my current fog lights, 400 lumens is being generous. LOL. I think it was probably 300 or less. It was VLEDS. Great product, but in my other cars, I have noticed some flickering of the interior lights. hmmmmm But anyways, my light output from the fog lights themselves have been GREATLY reduced due to the DECHROMING of my housing. Now, I barely use my fog lights because my halos take care of day time lights. At night though, maybe it would be nice to have a brighter fog light LED. But then again, I barely drive my car at night hahahahaha.
Old 9/5/14, 09:58 AM
Cobra Member

I just went outside and popped the hood to see if I could pop the LED fog light out of the back of the housing. I can't even SEE the back of the housing. Looks like some stuff has to be removed to even see it. Ugh.
Old 9/5/14, 10:04 AM
I Have No Life

I just went outside and popped the hood to see if I could pop the LED fog light out of the back of the housing. I can't even SEE the back of the housing. Looks like some stuff has to be removed to even see it. Ugh.
LOL... John, you have to remove the radiator cover via 8 push pins. That's the black plastic shroud surrounding the top of lights/radiator. You can then see the back of the lights.
Old 9/5/14, 11:11 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
You need to remove the bumper cover to get to the fogs on the 2014.

Last edited by TheReaper; 9/5/14 at 11:12 AM.
Old 9/5/14, 11:35 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Ok... Just read all this. Sorry for the delay. I too, am confused by John H.'s comments. The oem fog light itself, at least for 10-12's, have an opening for a bulb (stock = halogen, I have LED's). I'm not quite sure for 13's and 14's, but it sounds like from what you are saying, is an LED bulb too? If that is true, yes, I don't see why you wouldn't REMOVE the bulb before have it "worked on". I think either John H. or Nick from Diode is confusing the HEADLIGHTS with the FOG LIGHTS. The 13/14 headlight assemblies DO have the LED drl's as part of the headlight assembly, correct? I think that's what happened...confusion on head vs fog lights.

Now...given that, the process for installing the halos involves sending over your OEM fog lights or headlights to an installer (Diode Dynamics does not perform the actual install. They make and sell the LED's themselves). He opens it up. Installs the LED's. Seals it back up. Sends it back to you. The wiring is part of the halo light itself. Power and Ground. You connect to wherever you want it. Always hot, parking, or even switch. Your call.

As my thread title states, my installer was Jeff from Demonized Designs. Great guy. Nebraska based. I highly recommend him. He'll be a big name soon enough. I will forward him this post, and have him sign up as a vendor on this forum and have him chime in.

Sound good?
Burton, thanks for the detailed explanation. Now I finally get it
Old 9/5/14, 11:39 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Burton, thanks for the detailed explanation. Now I finally get it
Anytime sir! Glad I could help. Fwiw, I love my new lights, esp with tint. So menacing now. I get renewed compliments on it. I'm looking forward to the car show on Sunday, my first time to show it off since the install.
Old 9/5/14, 12:50 PM
I Have No Life

LOL... this is perfect timing for me to provide an update on this thread. Thanks again to Nick at Diode D for hooking me up with such great products and services.

I just placed an order for their new XML2's to replace my "weak" VLED's fogs . Shipping today, and arriving Monday or Tuesday. VLED fogs = 300 to 400 lumens. XML2's? = 1420 lumens!!!

I'll be using these fog lights at night when extra light is needed. Not during the day, as they would drown out the halos.

Thanks again Nick! You guys rock.

Old 9/7/14, 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can confirm that the Led is a separate unit.
Name:  photo13.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  69.1 KB
Name:  photo24.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  85.0 KB

How much would you charge for the Halos?
Old 9/7/14, 09:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also can you guys do anything for Gt500 Fog Lights?
The lightout put with regular LED Bulbs is Awful to say the least.
Name:  IMG_7222_zpse6a5af4f.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  94.1 KB

Quick Reply: Big Shout Out to Diode Dynamics and Demonized Designs