2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Base GT Love?

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/10, 07:05 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I prefer cloth seats, more comfortable. But my prior convertible did get hit with rain with the top down a few times - soaked the mats - so I'd rather not get soggy seats that take forever to dry out.
Old 6/5/10, 07:07 PM
GT Member

Besides, I also like the other premium upgrades. Like a lot of people, this is the first new car that I am ordering just for myself.
Old 6/5/10, 07:22 PM

I enjoy the cloth seats. My work parking situation forces me to park in the direct sun. The cloth seats don't get that hot, while the leather seats in my other car can cause serious pain.

I love my base GT. The only issue I have is needing a short shifter.
Old 6/5/10, 07:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by h1w1nd
Can you purchase a 2011 premium steering wheel from ford parts dept? If so can you use the air bag from the old wheel or is it extra? Looking at pics of the base v6 it's really not that bad.

Isn't the real reason we buy these cars is for the engine? The sounds of the 5.0 > Shaker 500
If we could get the 18R package, 99.5% of base GT's would have it. I am not sure if the car will come with all the necessary connections for the buttons on the 18R wheel to be fully functional if swaped in. The Bullitt wheel is just a replacement as it has the same buttons as the base wheel.

Last edited by YSUsteven; 6/5/10 at 07:28 PM.
Old 6/5/10, 08:44 PM
V6 Member

I didn't even realize this car won't be my daily driver so I guess leather won't be that big of an issue.

Night time and weekends are the only time the car will be driven. Winters are really cold here so the a$$ warmers are always useful!
Old 6/5/10, 09:22 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
I got my 06 gt with only one option, the interior sport appearance package- basically 200 bucks for the leather wheel and shift ****. I much prefer clotch seats-my wifes 07 pony has the mycolr/leather/shaker, Ive only driven it on one long trip, and I sweat to the seats...leather just dont breathe at all- looks pretty, and comfortable, but IMO cloth is way more comfortable- like work boots to tennis shoes.when I ordered the 09 gt, the ISAP option was no longer available, so just ordered the plain jane basic car- and bought a leather take-off wheel from ebay- it has still not been driven, 3 miles on the clock as flatbedded from Michigan approaching 2 yrs ago, with a new wheel in the trunk...my wife likes hers with the premium interior, but shes never changed the dash color since the day she got it...shes got the shaker 500, but dont play the radio, the 6 cd changer is always empty...I drive mine thru all but salt/snow, its parked about 3 months a year- but still say no regrets at all with the base model- if any doubts, remember I ordered a 'backup' identical to it for just in case it gets wrecked/wore out/whatever...absolutely love these cars.if I were to order a premium, it would have been a bullitt- but that mighta been more likely had the bullitt been available with the standard radio and cloth seats...cheaper- yeah, I'm cheep- but to me its also more desirable. the subs in the doors IMO are in a bad spot- Ive had to clean shoe marks off hers a few times- they stick out enough its just that much harder to get in and out of, plus like I said, I sweat too bad in leather seats. the bullitt with its blacked out grill just looks even a little more mustang like...personally I wish the gt coulda shared the v6 pony grille- that and the bullitt are both favorites IMO Ford shoulda brought back the comfortweave vinyl- my 69 has the comfortweave highbacks with the red stripe, and those seats while lacking support, are super comfortable- look great, cool in summer...I need to reupholster them, but they were in great shape still when the car was 20 years old or so. my 69 was also a base fastback- put the mach 1 seats and woodgrain dash in it long agowhatever you decide, I doubt youll be disappointed. my only 'wish' is they added tip/slide seats as a option, as with the kids, the seats are a very minor PITA...but not enough to make me dislike the car at all. I will say I dont personally care for the plastic steering wheel- I dunno why, but the leather one just feels better- plus it looks nice...the leather wheel in the 10 I think is the best looking Ive ever seen- can probably also find a takeoff for 2-300 max on ebay - I lucked out and got mine for only like 60 bucks- had bid much higher, but noone else bid- gotta love that on the takeoffs(usually brand new wheels pulled at shelby/roush/saleen for upgrading), you just put your switches/airbag/'clockspring' on it and your good to go...

Last edited by ford4v429; 6/5/10 at 09:24 PM.
Old 6/5/10, 09:26 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts
anyone else having trouble with the spacebar not inserting breaks in paragraphs? think this computer is whacked...
Old 6/5/10, 10:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Just my opinion...but consider saving the money and only bother with the options that make the car perform better..this is a performance car, after all.

Mine (on order) is a base with 3.55s and the Brembo package. That's it.
Old 6/5/10, 10:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Just my opinion...but consider saving the money and only bother with the options that make the car perform better..this is a performance car, after all.

Mine (on order) is a base with 3.55s and the Brembo package. That's it.
interesting. why did you choose the 3.55s over the 3.73s? do you do a lot of highway driving?
Old 6/5/10, 10:37 PM

Thats exactly how I ordered my GT, base, 3.55, and Brembo package in race red

Copper man
Old 6/5/10, 10:40 PM
Bullitt Member

same question. do you drive a lot of highway miles. is that why you chose 3.55s over 3.73s?
Old 6/5/10, 10:45 PM
V6 Member

Anyone else not a fan of all the chrome inside the car? I prefer the look of the stereo speakers black and basic instrument panels.
Old 6/5/10, 10:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I like the white face dials on the Premium gauges. If Ford would offer the 18R package and Glass Roof with the Base car, I think I would be compelled to get it over a Premium. Sync is cool, but I can get 90% of Sync aftermarket, with better sound (and I'd change the entire stereo out of a Premium anyway). But they don't. So eh, lucky for me I don't have to decide now I guess.
Old 6/5/10, 11:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can't get the upgraded electronics package on the base, which is unfortunate!!!
Old 6/5/10, 11:12 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by h1w1nd
I see a lot of you are ordering the premium package and I'm pretty dead set on getting leather but not sure if cloth would be a better idea. Today I was reminded why I hate leather so much...

I have a black car right now with leather and it was 100+ degrees out. Even with air cooled seats there still hot as ****!

I was thinking of changing my order to a Base GT instead, I wonder if I should just live with it and take the premium. Yes sync is awesome, and the leather looks nice and the mycolor as well. Is it worth the extra $4k? My a$$ says no but I say it is. I'll have to think about this one.
You have air cooled seats???
Old 6/5/10, 11:16 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Novelty goat
You have air cooled seats???
heated and cooled seats. 08 Lexus GS460
Old 6/6/10, 01:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
anyone else having trouble with the spacebar not inserting breaks in paragraphs? think this computer is whacked...
I've always found the space bar to work very well with separating words. For creating new paragraphs, a couple of taps on the Enter key works wonders.
Old 6/6/10, 01:10 PM
Cobra R Member

Premium so sexy...

Originally Posted by Magnamover
Bright dash trim is said to be blinding when sun hits it just right.
I have never experienced this and I live where it's sunny 95% of the time - California.

Last edited by Adam; 6/6/10 at 01:11 PM.
Old 6/6/10, 01:54 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Adam2004
Premium so sexy...

I have never experienced this and I live where it's sunny 95% of the time - California.
I hate you... lol

That interior pic did it for me.
Old 6/6/10, 01:59 PM
GT Member

Another vote for the Base GT. The only option I really really wanted from the Premium package was the white faced gauges. I figure that if I want them bad enough, I will try to swap a 400A gauge cluster into my car when it gets here.

Quick Reply: Base GT Love?