Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Barton Shifter VS Stock Shifter (My experience) 2014 V6 Mustang.

Old 8/23/14, 09:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Barton Shifter VS Stock Shifter (My experience) 2014 V6 Mustang.

first things first. - SAFETY!

My hydraulic jack didn't really clear the bottom end of the mustang.

So, I went and got my wife's Santa Fe jack.... was able to get underneath and lift the one end and then used my hydraulic jack to lift the other side.

It was a tight fit wiggling underneath the car with all of the support / jacks holding it up. I didn't want to take any chances regardless

It took no time at all to pull the stock bracket off and remove the interior cabin and stock shifter **** out and remove any insulation padding.

we ALL know the factory bracket on the mustang is a joke.... it really does nothing for any spirited driver that likes to give it a little extra oomph every now and then.

the quality between the Barton and Stock shifter to me, there isn't a whole lot of difference except for a couple of key components.

The barton has ZERO plastic components (unlike the stock shifter) the Barton shifter feels like its much more durable and better built.

I had everything pulled apart and "dry fitted" in and around 1.5 hours.

I had an issue where i was scratching my head for quite a long time. The shifter was perfect except that it wouldn't allow me to shift into 2nd.... I was baffled for a while. I needed up backing out ALL of the screws in the shifter and the 2 post bracket and in the end, it was my fault for not paying attention to detail.

Other than that. the install was straight forward (given that you follow the guides)

In the end, I really like how precise the barton shifter is over the stock shifter. its bang on and direct no matter what gear you're in. I found that theres no hesitation like the stock shifter.

That said, i still didn't mind the stock shifter. its really not bad for anyone who really just wants to drive the car and not beat through each gear.

this is the link to show you the throws with the barton shifter.

and the stock shifter.

I've found that you do you to kind of armstrong the shifter into reverse which is a little more effort, but not a bad thing.

I have found a little more NVH noise over the stock shifter. Not a big deal. I don't really hear it after being in the car for a few minutes and or if the stereo is even slightly on or windows down. its fine.

Yeah - Im sure the MGW shifter is better in a lot of ways. I wasn't prepared nor willing to rip it all apart to do and spend almost double (don't forget, i live in Canada) to get it.

I'm really happen to have done this and gotten the Barton shifter & 2 post barton bracket done.

Hope this helps you guys that are still on the fence about replacing your stock shifter.
Attached Thumbnails Barton Shifter VS Stock Shifter (My experience) 2014 V6 Mustang.-img_0034.jpg   Barton Shifter VS Stock Shifter (My experience) 2014 V6 Mustang.-img_0035.jpg   Barton Shifter VS Stock Shifter (My experience) 2014 V6 Mustang.-img_0036.jpg   Barton Shifter VS Stock Shifter (My experience) 2014 V6 Mustang.-img_0037.jpg   Barton Shifter VS Stock Shifter (My experience) 2014 V6 Mustang.-img_0032.jpg  

Barton Shifter VS Stock Shifter (My experience) 2014 V6 Mustang.-img_0033.jpg   Barton Shifter VS Stock Shifter (My experience) 2014 V6 Mustang.-img_0038.jpg   Barton Shifter VS Stock Shifter (My experience) 2014 V6 Mustang.-img_0039.jpg   Barton Shifter VS Stock Shifter (My experience) 2014 V6 Mustang.-img_0042.jpg   Barton Shifter VS Stock Shifter (My experience) 2014 V6 Mustang.-img_0047.jpg  

Old 8/23/14, 06:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great write up. Night and day difference! I can't wait for my shifter upgrade... Maybe I'll go with the barton over MGW after all...
Old 8/23/14, 09:57 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by OnceYouGoBlack
Great write up. Night and day difference! I can't wait for my shifter upgrade... Maybe I'll go with the barton over MGW after all...
Thank you.

If you have the funds, time and patience, i would have gotten the MGW shifter as well. It seems to he a better product., based on others testimonies.

None the less, the Barton shifter is still a great product!
Old 8/24/14, 07:07 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good write up, I can see where there are many folks that don't want/need/want to spend extra for the MGW (I have one in my Boss, wife hates it and prefers stock in her 11 GT). This low profile jack is on sale, and works great on my Mustang.

http://t.harborfreight.com/3-ton-low...ump-61253.html
Old 8/24/14, 10:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I put my MGW in this weekend too! Unfortunately, the one I bought from Bill was the older revision, not the new one that allows you to use the factory boot. The MGW boot was a big complaint, that they did address, but I was stuck with the older one. That fricken boot made me want to quit but I was so close to being done lol. I ended up cheating and I cut a slit in it to get it to seat, as it was getting late and my hands were all cut up already. When I get a house with a garage, I am installing a lift. No ifs, ands, or buts.
Old 8/24/14, 11:43 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by ace72ace
Good write up, I can see where there are many folks that don't want/need/want to spend extra for the MGW (I have one in my Boss, wife hates it and prefers stock in her 11 GT). This low profile jack is on sale, and works great on my Mustang.

http://t.harborfreight.com/3-ton-low...ump-61253.html
Thanks for the link! I'm definitely going to need to pick up one of these as well... its a must! if it wasn't for my wife's crappy jack, i would have been in a pickle!

Originally Posted by laserred38
I put my MGW in this weekend too! Unfortunately, the one I bought from Bill was the older revision, not the new one that allows you to use the factory boot. The MGW boot was a big complaint, that they did address, but I was stuck with the older one. That fricken boot made me want to quit but I was so close to being done lol. I ended up cheating and I cut a slit in it to get it to seat, as it was getting late and my hands were all cut up already. When I get a house with a garage, I am installing a lift. No ifs, ands, or buts.

I hear ya! I had a really really really hard time getting my boot on as well. It took me over half hour

I don't think I got it 100% on but... its like 95% would be my guess. the boot is all the way around but not 100% I don't think. Its okay. I'm sure that if I took it to a shop, they would have spent less time putting it on and likely done a worse job considering the install is hidden away.

Congrats on the shifter btw! I would still love to get together with someone that has an MGW shifter and possibly corsa's to see!