Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:
View Poll Results: Do you agree with this
Yes
41.76%
No
58.24%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Bad News for Retro Body Lovers (Cont. of the New Body Thread)

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/06, 07:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad News for Retro Body Lovers (Cont. of the New Body Thread)

Note: Soft hearted Mustang lovers should not read this.

AHEM! In the article Muscle Star in 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords, in the Horse Sense side bar (well in the bottom to be more exact, but readers will know where it is) it says that the "next refresh" will be "very modern".
I quote
This next iteration was also described as "very modern," so perhaps it's a move away from pure retro to a modern primitive look similar to the Camaro concept.
They also said that the refresh is "well underway"

Agreeable or an objection.

(As long as they don't mess it up I'm OK, if not)designers-> <- Me
Old 6/3/06, 07:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Is it just me....or is not the Camaro concept considered retro?
Old 6/3/06, 08:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by codeman94
Is it just me....or is not the Camaro concept considered retro?
Its a kinda because its still modern compared to the Mustang and Challenger
Old 6/3/06, 09:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

the camaro concept looks like a turd with wheels, I'd buy a honda before I'd buy that p.o.s. If the new mustang looks similar to the camaro concept, I'll be buying an 07-08 then, or sticking with my 00 and build me a 69.
Old 6/3/06, 09:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 1969 Mustang Mach 1
Its a kinda because its still moderm...

Hey Edson...Are you Italian?...
Old 6/3/06, 09:28 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by codeman94
Hey Edson...Are you Italian?...
Hooray Pizza here I come. don't forget the spaghetti.
OF course I'm not Italian. I'm a citizen of the United Mustangs of America a.k.a, my room. Kinda childish don't you think?
Old 6/4/06, 09:05 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
See the thing is... it'll have all the typical design cues we know and love, but will put a spin on them...like the 05-09s...

Some may still call it retro for that reason... and some may call it modern.

To me the Camaro concept looks retro, because it FINALLY takes great cues from the late 60s cars... but is it?
In the same vein I don't really see the 05-09 as retro... as its the look of a mustang done in a modern interpretation... it looks like how a mustang SHOULD look...

So I wouldn't get all bothered by it.
It's not like they are going to up and change it into a fox looking mustang that really doesn't have any cues...
Old 6/4/06, 11:09 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm sure whatever they come up with will be great. they already said it'll ahve hips! thats a plus.
Old 6/5/06, 10:45 AM

I am for it, as long as they retain the various Mustang design signatures, if interpreted in a more modern idiom.

I've often made a distinction between what I see as "retro" design and "repro" design -- the former being a much more interpretive approach to a model design history and DNA whereas the latter seeks to much too closely and slavishly reproduce specific design features and elements. The difference on the 2005 Stang might be the side scallops artfully evoking the side scoops of the original vs. the desire of some that the Stang's gotta have some big, fake Dumbo-eared scoops just like back in '67. The former is much more subtle, sophisticated and fully of today while the latter is generally a clumsy attempt to relive/reproduce the past.

One problem with retro is that it can get rather stale if taken too far. If the design is so cribbed by staying within a very narrow realm of a particular architype, then eventually, later renditions all just start looking the same. That may well appeal to a limited enthusiast subset who are averse to change in general, it does little to breath in fresh blood -- or fresh, younger buyers -- into the Mustang line. Perhaps after the 2005s deep dive into retro, a more modern, interpretive -- yet fully Mustang -- approach to keep the DNA fresh would be well in order.

It is a balancing act, of course, maintaining the Mustang DNA yet keeping it fresh, modern and vibrant. Porche has done a very good job of this with the 911, keeping its unmistakable 911 image yet having a fully modern to keep it on the cutting edge of contemporary performance cars. GM has done very well with the Corvette in this regard too.

Ford, IMHO, has done pretty well, certainly well enough to have maintained the Stang's iconic status for 40+ years, if perhaps not quite as well as the two aforementioned marques.
Old 6/5/06, 11:51 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aren't we really just talking about the "Hips" over the rear quarter panels. Other than that, I don't see that drastic change in the near future. Especially since the Challenger has been moved back to Late 08, probably 09, and that's the same time line for the GM entries too. Just wondering...
Old 6/5/06, 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Even if it does look weird, it should still retain the mustang performance factor. That is a big selling point too, you know.
Old 6/5/06, 01:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

"Retro" vs. "Modern Primitive" = same thing? I don't see the difference with what the writer is trying to say. I think Rhumb said it better - Retro vs. Repro. Retro Repro
Old 6/5/06, 09:34 PM
Cobra Member

I think it won't be as modern as they are making it out to be, but it won't be as "retro" as the current one. Sort of the approach with the Camaro is what I would expect -- take styling cues/proportions of the older cars, and make them more modern.

I would expect stuff like a slightly more slanted nose, and perhaps more "squinty" headlights, but I don't think they will stray too far from the success of the new S197 (even though it is starting to wane a bit, it seems to be one of their only strong moving products right now). It would be too much of a risk to make too dramatic of a change.

Look how well received the "repro" Challenger was -- retro isn't entirely dead. Reconnecting with that nostalgia is one of the Mustangs strongest selling point (besides the V8 and cheap price).

Now, if they could only make the chassis more modern in the process....
Old 6/6/06, 12:17 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Rampant
Now, if they could only make the chassis more modern in the process....
Its like 3 years old...
How much more modern you want it?

If you mean lighter... fair enough...
Old 6/6/06, 12:32 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Its like 3 years old...
How much more modern you want it?

If you mean lighter... fair enough...
I assume he meant "IRS = modern".

Not to start a big debate again, of course...
Old 6/6/06, 03:24 PM
V6 Member

I Don't agree at all... The only way im going to like it is if they gave it the mustang muscle look... It should be something retro with pure Ford power... I cant describe it by words you will have to see me shout the sound of the motor..
Old 6/7/06, 07:36 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Tony Alonso
I assume he meant "IRS = modern".

Not to start a big debate again, of course...
So he meant suspension not chassis
Old 6/7/06, 10:45 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just hope they keep the design ideas within the areas they had for the 2005, the 05 to me is a perfect look and the next change should be similar with new elements. Like hips and no windows on the quarter panels. I sure hope they do not make it look anything like the new Camaro concept buecause that thing it all sorts of ugly, just my opinion where as the challenger is closer to what I consider good design. The Camaro has a history to it, it was made to be a cheap corvette but it does not have to look like a cheap corvette.
Old 6/7/06, 01:01 PM

I am looking forward to / hoping for a more aggressive design. I love the new generation, but I would like to see a little bit more done with the design. Preferably, use design cues that we remember and then go from there...

I am happy they are "tweaking" it
Old 6/7/06, 04:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new Camaro does not for me bring out the spirit of the 60's cars as well as the Mustang imo.... I noticed today my 06 was looking old and it's not and i like that about it.

Quick Reply: Bad News for Retro Body Lovers (Cont. of the New Body Thread)