2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Auto + Brembo or M6 + Track Pack?

Search this Thread

Old 1/27/14, 10:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto + Brembo or M6 + Track Pack?

As I wait for my wife to come home from visiting family overseas, I am still weighing options.

So, would you go Auto + Brembo or M6 + Track Pack?

Car does sit in rush hour traffic 14 miles each way. My '98 GT was a 5 speed and I got tired of the clutch in traffic.

My biggest gripe here is that the auto is slothed with 3.15 gears and you can't get the track pack goodies for a certified bad-*** car from the factory. I know I can get FRPP gears installed and covered under warranty, but I am not interested in doing so - I want the car built right from the factory, this car will remain BONE STOCK since it's a DD and I have a Camaro for a summer toy already. Even if I could factory option 3.73s on the auto car, I still wouldn't get the rest of the track pack goodies.

If the car could have Auto + Track Pack, I'd probably get that to be honest.

But, I want a bad-*** car from the factory, and I don't mind shifting my own gears either. So I'm kind of torn on which path to go.

Auto + Brembos:

Pros:
-Better gas mileage (gears)
-Probably never worry about the car (no worn synchros, clutch replacements down the road, etc. - my '98 had a couple worn synchros and if you tried to shift into second on that worn spot pulling away from a light all you'd get was a nasty grind and vibration and kick of the shifter into neutral and then you'd basically have to slow down enough to be able to get the tranny back into first while the person behind you wonders wtf is wrong with you)

Cons:
-Not as fun
-Slower due to crappier gears
-No Track Pack goodies
-$400 more expensive for vehicle compared to manual

M6 + Track Pack:

Pros:
-Faster (gears)
-More fun
-$400 cheaper for vehicle compared to auto
-Track Pack goodies

Cons:
-Shifting can get old in traffic
-Have to worry about tranny wear and possible clutch replacement later
-Still issues with the M6? I know there were issues with the early ones, not sure if those are still present or if they've been solved?

So, which would you go for and why, keeping in mind the car will NOT be modded? You have to get it correct from the factory.
Old 1/27/14, 10:43 AM

I went with the track pack with the M6. I remember in my old mustangs when I use to drive in rush hour and hated it I wanted an automatic, but then the next day you get over it and forget about it. Those days happenned every once in while. I bought an automatic for my next one and everyday I wasnt in rush hour (Almost everyday) I wish I had a manual. I have driven both, either way you will be happy but if your having any doubts then get the manual.
Old 1/27/14, 10:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
The only difference between a TP and a Brembo is the oil cooler (includes Boss radiator) Finned Differential cover and Torsen diff w/3.73 gears, none of which will mean much in a DD. The suspension and brakes are the same.

I have a `12 Brembo w/3.73's as a DD and Love it but since you have the option of going Brembo and auto you may be happier.

Edit; No such thing as won't be modded only because eventually you will find something you want to replace/upgrade. Tune and exhaust (axlebacks) are usually the first things addressed. Also a tune would seriously wake up an A6.

Last edited by Black Fire; 1/27/14 at 11:08 AM.
Old 1/27/14, 10:56 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yes M = Fun but New A w/selectshift = Smart Fun
with an excellent tune.. you could run auto heads up against M.. this is just my opinion.
Old 1/27/14, 10:59 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Auto was never in question for me, so I got the Track Pack. LOVE IT.
Torsen alone was worth it IMO. Not to mention oil cooler and Boss radiator. Track pack does a great job keeping your car cool at road courses too. Plus on the 6M cars with 3.73 acceleration is fantastic. Second gear is my favorite.

But for a DD you won't even notice the difference. So your biggest dilemma is Auto or 6M.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 1/27/14 at 11:05 AM.
Old 1/27/14, 11:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you driven a 14 manual? The clutch is so much lighter than the 08 I had.
If you want to leave it stock I say get manual with the track pack.
Old 1/27/14, 11:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I would definitely say drive both!

For me, it'd of course be an M6. However, if paddles are for sure on the new '15 Mustang... it'd make the Auto an interesting option too.

If it was me, I'd either wait for the Auto in the '15 and hope the track pack will be an option for the auto then or get a current M6.

But please drive both before deciding!
Old 1/27/14, 06:44 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
I would never get an auto tranny car for myself, but that's my personal preference and a manual tranny is needed for what I do with the car.

Drive both, see what you think. If you're not going to track the car, the track pack is not really beneficial for street driving in my opinion
Old 1/27/14, 06:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
...this car will remain BONE STOCK since it's a DD and I have a Camaro for a summer toy already.
I just want to know the story with having a Camaro for a summer toy, while wanting to buy a fairly hardcore Mustang GT for a daily driver. That's not a situation that comes up very often!
Old 1/27/14, 07:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
I just want to know the story with having a Camaro for a summer toy, while wanting to buy a fairly hardcore Mustang GT for a daily driver. That's not a situation that comes up very often!
Haha I know, my Camaro I've had for 15 years (1st car) and is a keeper for life and I do indeed feel bad driving a muscle car every day and in the winter, but dammit, life is short and my daily driver is boring as hell lol.

I miss my '98, shouldn't have sold it…it was a loaded car with leather, Mach 460, split spoke 17s, and even had the pretty uncommon 3.42 gears. Pics for clicks!

And the keeper:

I still need to drive both the manual and auto Mustang, and at this point I'm leaning towards the manual but I'm concerned about the MT-82 still having issues? I remember people having issues with them early on but I haven't heard much lately, not sure if Ford revised the tranny or not?
Old 1/27/14, 08:01 PM

Ford did not revise the mt-82. A new additive was installed from the factory that is supposed to alleviate problems.

I have a 14 track pack. If you're on the fence, I'd say skip the track pack and go for the auto. You'll get better mileage and the track pack goodies are not utilized in daily driving duties. Plus, I don't think they make the car badass. They're a nice addition, but don't put the car over the top.
Old 1/27/14, 09:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
It really depends on what you want to do with the car, while the auto comes with 3.31s they are a perfect gear for 6R80 as it has tall gears and gets in the power band fairly well. Just getting a tune transforms the car. That being said rowing through the gears is it's own reward. If you plan on drag racing I would just get the Brembos as the Torsen isn't really that great of a differential for drag racing. You will end up breaking it eventually. I love the MT-82 in my car with the 3.73's, it really gets some steam going early on but it is all about your intentions on the car.

Personally I love rowing through the gears and the Boss is just an absolute blast with the MT-82.
Old 1/28/14, 05:54 AM
Team Mustang Source

OP, You need to do more research on the A6. The gearing is very close to a TP equipped stang, considering the rear axle (3.15) coupled with 1st gear in the A6.
Old 1/28/14, 01:44 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by puma1552
Haha I know, my Camaro I've had for 15 years (1st car) and is a keeper for life and I do indeed feel bad driving a muscle car every day and in the winter, but dammit, life is short and my daily driver is boring as hell lol.

I miss my '98, shouldn't have sold it…it was a loaded car with leather, Mach 460, split spoke 17s, and even had the pretty uncommon 3.42 gears. Pics for clicks!

Amazing stang..
Old 1/29/14, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I might get flamed a bit here, but you could hold out for the '15 models. The auto has paddle shifters and rev-matched downshifts and should be more fun to drive than a typical auto.

I have always been all about the manual trans and I have one now, but they do suck with stop-and-go traffic.
Old 1/31/14, 07:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ford20
It really depends on what you want to do with the car, while the auto comes with 3.31s they are a perfect gear for 6R80 as it has tall gears and gets in the power band fairly well. Just getting a tune transforms the car. That being said rowing through the gears is it's own reward. If you plan on drag racing I would just get the Brembos as the Torsen isn't really that great of a differential for drag racing. You will end up breaking it eventually. I love the MT-82 in my car with the 3.73's, it really gets some steam going early on but it is all about your intentions on the car.

Personally I love rowing through the gears and the Boss is just an absolute blast with the MT-82.
This.

I have been a manual fan for years but going manual on my GT was a very hard decision. The 6R80 is SOOO strong, with a tune it's bonkers fast & efficient. Jumping into an auto is like picking up a free 50 very usable hp over the stick on these cars. Getting into HPDEs and Auto-X though is what ultimately led me to sticking with a manual. The 3.73s are nice but the fact is, in nearly all scenarios, I'm still slower than an auto w/ 3.31s.
Old 2/1/14, 09:42 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Anything with a stick. Period.
Old 2/1/14, 09:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Anything with a stick. Period.
TWSS
Old 2/1/14, 09:55 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by shurtual86
TWSS
Heck ya!
Old 2/1/14, 10:18 AM
FR500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If ypu never track the car or do autocross then there really wont be much of a difference. Honestly for me if it were a daily driver (im part of the younger gen buyers) id get all the cool tech like back-up camera, glass roof, nav screen, all the goodies. However nothing beats a good ole Cali spec! I want a DIB cali spec gt with black stripes and a glass roof and nav screen. Its either that (2014 MY) or a 2016-2017 mustang in DIB or whatever SE they end up rolling out

How is the shifter in that traffic? Ive heard it can feel really notchy at times especially when its colder.

Quick Reply: Auto + Brembo or M6 + Track Pack?