2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

anyone in Mass. without front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 5/7/10, 11:20 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,573 Likes on 1,078 Posts
anyone in Mass. without front license plate?

So I'm looking forward to the day when I will receive my brand new V6 Mustang (probably Kona Blue MCA, not ordered yet but probably soon) and I hate the idea of drilling holes in the front bumper, and messing up the front end of the car with a license plate.

Has anyone tried to get away with skipping the front license plate in Massachusetts (or other states that require a front plate) and what was the result?

Are there any better mounting ideas than drilling the holes in the bumper?

I'm pretty sure the car will not pass inspection without the front plate . . . but that could be solved by temporarily putting one on with velcro or something . . .

thanks for your thoughts!
Old 5/7/10, 12:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's been discussed in another thread. Everyone's stories basically showed that you won't get far without a front bracket. All they have to do is see that you're from their state, then see that you don't have the front license plate, and they'll pull you over. One guy had the misfortune of being given the choice of either installing the front plate right there on the side of the road or getting ticketed.

There are alternatives out there, including one with a wrap-around that bolts to the frame instead of through the bumper. There are others if you happen to find the thread (should be on the page 2 or 3).

My recommendation is to get an aftermarket bracket you like and have it in your hands and ready to install right there at the dealer when you get the car.
Old 5/7/10, 01:07 PM
Bullitt Member

You can check this out, but I will need to know if it works for the '10-'11

http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/purchase.html
Old 5/7/10, 01:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

honestly the front plate doesn't really look that bad. i was one of those who pre delivery i was going to have them not install it then i saw a few on lots with it and it really didnt look like a big deal and after a week owning it you wont even notice it. and you wont have to worry about inspections, tickets or paying more money for some gadget that hides it. if it was a show car i would look into it but this is my dd
Old 5/7/10, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by ireallycare
You can check this out, but I will need to know if it works for the '10-'11

http://www.ccmustangbrackets.com/purchase.html
I emailed him and received pictures. He does have one for the '10-'11. But I think I am just going to stick with the stock version as well. I am getting this to drive and hold onto so no big deal if there is a bracket on the front. I wish we didn't have to have front plates, but as long as they're the law I'll put 'em on.
Old 5/7/10, 02:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by xlover
honestly the front plate doesn't really look that bad. i was one of those who pre delivery i was going to have them not install it then i saw a few on lots with it and it really didnt look like a big deal and after a week owning it you wont even notice it. and you wont have to worry about inspections, tickets or paying more money for some gadget that hides it. if it was a show car i would look into it but this is my dd
yeah, I think you're probably right . . . not worth the hassle . . . mine will be daily driver also
Old 5/7/10, 03:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I agree. I thought about buying it, but I figure the plate that comes with the car is fine. I mean, the gadget serves no purpose unless you plan on bragging about it or removing the bracket to show off the car.
Old 5/7/10, 06:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Lancel
It's been discussed in another thread. Everyone's stories basically showed that you won't get far without a front bracket.
Well, not quite everyone's stories turned out that way.

Four out of our five cars don't have front license plates on them, and they are required here in Ohio. I've had my '01 Bullitt for almost four years now, it has never had a front plate on it. The previous owner also lived in Ohio, he didn't put a front plate on it either for the 2-3 years he owned it. I've had my '08 Mustang GT for almost two years, told the dealer not to put a front plate bracket on it, and it has never had a front plate. I've had my Miata for more than four years, it has never had a front plate. Our Mini Cooper hasn't had a front plate for about two years now.

I've never gotten a ticket or pulled over for no front plate, and I pass city, state, and county cops on a regular basis. I did get pulled over for a front plate violation one time five years ago, I was driving another car that was completely stripped out for racing, had a loud exhaust, and roll cage in it, and I had the front license plate stuck in-between the dash and the windshield. I got pulled over by the a deputy Sheriff (into my driveway) and we chatted for a bit and he said it could be a safety issue if the plate came back at me in an accident, and I should get it put on the front of the car somehow. No ticket.

I'm prepared to pay a fine on occasion if that is what it takes to keep my cars on the road without front plates, if I start to get pulled over and ticketed frequently for it, I may consider putting plates on the front of some of my cars, but none of them will get drilled into the bumper cover to do so. I'll find another way.

Last edited by Ministang; 5/7/10 at 06:56 PM.
Old 5/7/10, 07:31 PM

You should research the exact law in your state. Here in Washington a front plate is required, but the unadvertised legal 'fine print' says that if your car does not have a place to put it you're exempt from the requirement.

No dealer installed bracket = No front plate on my beautiful new car.
Old 5/7/10, 07:33 PM
GT Member

You will NOT pass inspection without a front plate. Even if your old plate is faded, you will
be failed until you get new ones......... just not worth the hassle IMHO.
Old 5/7/10, 08:03 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I went 2 years without a problem. Was pulled over once about a month after I had the car. I had the flip down plate holder and played dumb that I didn't know it was down. I live in a small town where the cops are always sitting around with radar and watching. They've left me alone. Since Mass has grandfathered back only (green) plates and front/rear (red), it's easier to get away with just one.
Old 5/7/10, 08:09 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by denlem
I went 2 years without a problem. Was pulled over once about a month after I had the car. I had the flip down plate holder and played dumb that I didn't know it was down. I live in a small town where the cops are always sitting around with radar and watching. They've left me alone. Since Mass has grandfathered back only (green) plates and front/rear (red), it's easier to get away with just one.
Seconded. I went a loooong time without a front plate in the Boston area (I eventually found a plate holder I like for the GT500 nose and run a plate now) never stopped once. Towns nowadays are hurting for budgetary $$$ though. I'd be willing to bet they're keeping a sharper eye out for any kind of ticketable violations.
Old 5/7/10, 08:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

The cops that have pulled me over didn't mention my plate or a bike cop my O/RH. Maybe I'm lucky.
I pass by cops all the time, now I don't think about it.
Old 5/8/10, 05:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by magicjosh
. . . the unadvertised legal 'fine print' says that if your car does not have a place to put it you're exempt from the requirement.

No dealer installed bracket = No front plate on my beautiful new car.
Originally Posted by denlem
Interesting . . . there could be a loophole there . . . too bad I don't have any of the old green plates around that I could transfer to the new car, I will be getting the new red ones.

Dennis, I live in Douglas also . . . I work in Rhode Island so my commute is straight down the "Douglas Pike" so I'm only in Mass for a couple miles, and I doubt a RI cop would pull me over for a Mass license plate infraction.

Hmmm . . . I'm thinking I might tell the dealer not to drill the holes and take it from there . . .
Old 5/8/10, 06:16 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Cool

My 2006 has the plate attached below the painted bumper.
I rigged up a plastic plate holder and then velcro strapped it to the black plastic lower part.
I can take it off for shows in a few seconds.
anyone in Mass. without front license plate?-plateholder2.jpg
Or leave it on.
anyone in Mass. without front license plate?-front-hood-up.jpg
Old 5/8/10, 08:45 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
Interesting . . . there could be a loophole there . . . too bad I don't have any of the old green plates around that I could transfer to the new car, I will be getting the new red ones.

Dennis, I live in Douglas also . . . I work in Rhode Island so my commute is straight down the "Douglas Pike" so I'm only in Mass for a couple miles, and I doubt a RI cop would pull me over for a Mass license plate infraction.

Hmmm . . . I'm thinking I might tell the dealer not to drill the holes and take it from there . . .
I went by the cops in town all the time, and i'm sure you're aware that they always sit at the fire station, up by the common, and on South St. near the railroad bed. Went by them daily with no issues.

I would tell the dealer NOT to install the front plate. Then at least get the fold-a-way plate holder. See my install in this thread...

https://themustangsource.com/showthr...e+plate+holder

This way you'll have a plate, but it's tucked away. If you do get stopped, then you just get out and put it up and apologize. There is also a motorized version. If you get pulled over, press the button and put it up as the cop is behind you!

Which dealer did you go to?
Old 5/8/10, 01:38 PM
GT Member

It was a concern for me at first, but I know I'll just have to deal with having a front as long as I'm living here...

In Virginia Beach, cops DO notice and WILL stop you regularly...I tried it back in high school, and it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to explain it away every weekend...