Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

anyone else have handicap plates? (?? and rant)

Search this Thread

Old 10/17/13, 11:29 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anyone else have handicap plates? (?? and rant)

good day all. This post is part question and part rant I guess. For some time now, I have been fighting Lupus (chronic organ failure), was getting a blood transfusion every two weeks, and was on a transplant list for a new kidney. About 3 years ago my doctors diagnosed me as terminal, and to get my affairs in order. Low and behold, I am alive and kicking today! But with my ailments, my doctor asked me to get permantly handicap license plates. I don't use them much, except for when I am not feeling good.

Anyway, so today, (and this is not a one time occurrence for me) a guy walks up to me and asks "How did you qualify for a sports car with handicap license plates?" I just stared at him for a moment wondering if it was worth my while explaining it, and what, so if you are handicap you cant drive a nice car? Well, I decided to tell him what I just told you guys and how I was tired of people labeling handicaps as either old people or people with crappy cars. He politely apologized and walked away, but this happens more often than not, and it gets aggravating.

Anyone else with handicap plates and\or experience this problem?
Old 10/17/13, 11:41 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's the US, **** like this will happen. I admit that when I see someone who seemingly looks healthy parked in a handicapped space I do tend to wonder. Then again I was taught to mind my own business, that coupled with the belief in karma seems to work well enough for me. If I were you I would make up different reasons. Maybe that you have an inoperable clot in your brain that could cause an aneurysm at any time, and it makes the most sense to have a designated slot so you don't take out a family of 5 looking for a spot.
Old 10/17/13, 11:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a lambo and gtr with handicap plates at my local cars and coffee meet. I think it is the coolest thing ever
Old 10/17/13, 11:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
I don't have handicap plates, but I do have a hangy tag. I have Cerebral Palsy. So far I haven't had anyone question my car or tag. I'm sorry that some have actually questioned you.
Old 10/17/13, 12:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Although personally annoying to you, I think the bystander was just trying to do good!

In my province, handicap certificates (which you put in your window) were once handed out like candy by doctors and didn't have expiry dates or names. Now this is a massive problem, as they are sometimes "passed on" to other family members when they are no longer needed by who they were originally issued for. They do this to get "free parking" in places that are illegal to park, as the enforcement officers will never issue a ticket to a handicap certificate car. Technically, using a handicap certficate that you're not entitled to in this way is fraud, but it is very hard to enforce.

As an example, there's a construction zone for a new condo going up near my work. The busy downtown streets surrounding it where parking is not available have a ring of parked cars with handicap certificates in the windows. I've seen one construction worker exit one of the cars so far, and I'm inclined to think the others also belong to construction workers who need a place to park without getting tickets. Who else would park around a partially constructed building?

Do these construction workers need parking? Maybe! But is using handi certificates illegally the way to get free parking? No. But seeing this creates some doubt in your mind whenever you see a handi certificate used in a high demand area - and with no one around, and nothing to judge except what type of car is driven and the appearance of the driver, I can see that some bystanders will be as cynical as me, and call someone out if they don't appear to be handicapped at all. And this isn't to be annoying. It's to shame the ones that are defrauding the system, and making it harder for legitimately handicapped individuals to get the spots that they really need!
Old 10/17/13, 12:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon302
It's the US, **** like this will happen. I admit that when I see someone who seemingly looks healthy parked in a handicapped space I do tend to wonder. Then again I was taught to mind my own business, that coupled with the belief in karma seems to work well enough for me. If I were you I would make up different reasons. Maybe that you have an inoperable clot in your brain that could cause an aneurysm at any time, and it makes the most sense to have a designated slot so you don't take out a family of 5 looking for a spot.
Good post Brandon.

My dear Wifey has a handicapped tag. Once in N.C. there wasn't an easy way to check if the person using the tag was actually the owner. Now, the tags are numbered, and the person has an ID card with that number. So it EZPZ for the Police to check. BTW, I never use it unless she is in the car. As a retired LEO, I wouldn't hesitate to issue a ticket for some screwball using Grandma's tag to park.
Old 10/17/13, 12:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the hanging tab for a bad knee and diabetic neuropathy so it hurts like nobodies business the further I have to walk. Being a retired correctional sergeant I tend to be a smart ***. I just look at them and say, "Wow, I want you as my doctor! You can just look at me and see what's wrong with me...." They just turn red and walk off.
Old 10/17/13, 12:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Mrsuitcase
Do these construction workers need parking? Maybe! But is using handi certificates illegally the way to get free parking? No. But seeing this creates some doubt in your mind whenever you see a handi certificate used in a high demand area - and with no one around, and nothing to judge except what type of car is driven and the appearance of the driver, I can see that some bystanders will be as cynical as me, and call someone out if they don't appear to be handicapped at all. And this isn't to be annoying. It's to shame the ones that are defrauding the system, and making it harder for legitimately handicapped individuals to get the spots that they really need!
Completely understand this argument, people doing something wrong should feel bad about it. However that isn't the responsibility of you or I. As in the case of the OP, he was not in the wrong and then had to explain something that is private to a random person. If someone is knowingly doing something wrong then no matter what you or I say to them they most likely won't feel bad about their actions.
Old 10/17/13, 12:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Brandon302
Completely understand this argument, people doing something wrong should feel bad about it. However that isn't the responsibility of you or I. As in the case of the OP, he was not in the wrong and then had to explain something that is private to a random person. If someone is knowingly doing something wrong then no matter what you or I say to them they most likely won't feel bad about their actions.
Old 10/17/13, 01:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Wife has them on both the '01 and the '11 Mustangs plus the F150 Lightning. We get weird looks and comments all the time. I have told some...yep, the government disability checks pay real good....and laugh. Other times I comment that having a disability does not mean we have to drive junk....and sometimes I just look dumb and say, yep....got a mental thing screwing with me..... Idiots everywhere.

Florida has the info on the drivers lic. of the one the plate is registered to.
Old 10/17/13, 01:15 PM
Cobra Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't have handicapped tags, but I do have disabled Veteran tags; at 100%. The tags are on my 2013 Shelby and 2013 Stage 3 Roush. The DV tags don't let me park in designated handicapped spots, but its the same concept; just because I'm disabled doesn't mean I should be driving a full size van!
Old 10/17/13, 02:25 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
My wife has the plate on her car for her back and hip. Sometimes we get a look because it is a Lincoln. I never use the spots unless she is with me.

We never use her hanging tag on the Mustang but that's because she rarely rides in it. Too hard for her to get in and out of it. We use it if we take my Mariner though.
Old 10/17/13, 03:48 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I've been through some health issues myself and it really pisses me off to see healthy, lazy people parking in handicap spots.
Old 10/17/13, 05:23 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by TheReaper
I've been through some health issues myself and it really pisses me off to see healthy, lazy people parking in handicap spots.
Or a lazy healthy spouse or child of someone who indeed needs the tag.
Old 10/17/13, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Or a lazy healthy spouse or child of someone who indeed needs the tag.
but some of us are not lazy and healthy. Although I would choose lazy and healthy any day of the week and not be in the position that I am in now. It is unfortunate that people decide to question others just because in their eyes they don't look like they deserve to park in a handicap spot. I know its a loosing battle and I am wasting my breath even talking about it, so I guess I will shut up.
Old 10/17/13, 07:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

DON'T!!! This IS reality. I run them on my wifie's car. Just Disabled Tags on mine. We have a guy in my PGR (Patriot Guard) unit, that has them on his Bike. He gets looks and questions, even from within. By the by, he only has ONE LEG. They ARE out there.
Old 10/17/13, 10:13 PM

You can't assume that you can see someone's disability. I use a hang tag in my Stang and get looks all the time but haven't gotten any comments. Let someone make a smart as comment about my tag, they'll get an earful!
Old 10/17/13, 10:21 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by texasgtguy
but some of us are not lazy and healthy. Although I would choose lazy and healthy any day of the week and not be in the position that I am in now. It is unfortunate that people decide to question others just because in their eyes they don't look like they deserve to park in a handicap spot. I know its a loosing battle and I am wasting my breath even talking about it, so I guess I will shut up.

I'm talking about people that don't have tags and park in handicap spots for a quick run into the store and they look very healthy to me.

Last edited by TheReaper; 10/17/13 at 10:23 PM.
Old 10/17/13, 11:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are a lot of ignorant uneducated people out there! I applaud all of you with disabilities for standing up for your rights! Since when does disabled mean driving crap? An illness does not strike at age 65 or above. Illnesses can happen at any time. As a nurse I see this everyday. I feel good knowing others can enjoy there passions no matter what there health status is.
Old 10/17/13, 11:41 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I'm currently building a home for a gentleman that drives a new model Challenger R/T. He has handicap plates. And he's in a wheelchair. He drives the car he wants to drive. No law against being disabled and driving a cool car.

I admire him for it. Not because he's disabled, but because his car is nice. And I guess a little because he's disabled and he chose not to drive a Caravan or something.

Last edited by 2k7gtcs; 10/17/13 at 11:43 PM.

Quick Reply: anyone else have handicap plates? (?? and rant)