2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Any Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/21, 11:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Any Tips?

Hello Everyone, I just picked up a 2010 Mustang GT premium with a MT and also has the track pack. Car is immaculate with only 45k CA and AZ miles. Last owner had it since 2011 and it's totally stock. I've had a handful of camaros, turbo cars, and my most recent, a ram with a 5.7 hemi. I generally throw on headers, open the exhaust, install a cam/cams and then tune it. I'm thinking my days of high speed are over but I would like to wake up the engine a little to help it get up and go faster. Do these cars respond well to just getting it dyno tuned without installing any bolt on parts, or can I just get the ecu flashed or buy a tuner and a map? What's the general go-to fix for that? Not looking to add physical mods, really just wanting to tune it tighter than factory is all. Any advice?

Thanks!
Old 12/3/21, 07:44 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Any tips? "Don't take any wooden nickels"

But seriously . . . welcome to the forum, and also welcome to the fairly exclusive 2010 GT aka "red headed stepchild" club . . . 2010 was an in-between year, with the old engine and transmission, and the new body. So it's a mixed bag . . . we don't have the newer Coyote engine or the 6-speed transmission, but we do have a very solid and reliable drivetrain with the good old TR3650 transmission and the better sounding (in many people's opinion) 3V engine.

If you want substantial power gains, the best way to go is with a supercharger. You can spend the same money on a lot of other minor mods and not get the power boost of a supercharger. I would check out "Department of Boost" for their positive displacement supercharger.

You won't get much out of a tune by itself. A tune combined with a bunch of other mods, such as long tube headers, would be a noticeable difference. But not even close to the supercharger.

I have done a bunch of minor mods to my 2010 with road track in mind, and that is why I did not go with supercharger at the beginning. If I was starting over, I'd save my pennies for the supercharger. (plus brakes and suspension for the road track)

Take a look at the existing threads in this sub-forum and you'll find lots of specifics on the different mods.
The following 3 users liked this post by Bert:
dusman59 (12/3/21), m05fastbackGT (12/3/21), NC14GT (10/18/22)
Old 12/3/21, 02:04 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,138 Likes on 1,719 Posts
"What he said"
The following 2 users liked this post by m05fastbackGT:
NC14GT (10/18/22), ZManTN (12/3/21)
Old 12/3/21, 09:04 PM

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question, and great info too. Much appreciated Bert!
Old 12/5/21, 05:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I would start with a couple of tunes, They tend to make thigs a little crisper.
Old 12/8/21, 05:33 PM

I imagine with a tuner I can just install some maps? Which tuners are you guys using and where do I find the maps? Sorry, new to Ford.
Old 12/9/21, 04:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

what do you mean by "maps" -- are you talking about updating your navigation system? or spark/timing and air/fuel maps based on throttle, RPM, load, etc.?

the way most people do tuning on these cars:
1) buy a tuner device -- this plugs in to the OBD2 port and allows you to download/save the original factory tune, and upload new tune files to the car
2) someone has to write the "tune" which is the set of modified parameters that are loaded to the car; these generally do include more aggressive timing and sometimes air/fuel and other things, but I haven't heard many people talking about "maps"

A new tune is usually needed if you do a modification that requires the parameters to be adjusted, most common example is a new intake with a bigger diameter tube which requires an adjustment or the car will run lean. Another example is if you change the rear gear ratio then you need to adjust the speedometer through the tune.

On an automatic transmission the tune can also change the shift behavior but on a manual you don't have that.

If you are interested in getting a tune, I'd suggest you contact "Lito" and ask him what he can do for your car, with your specific set-up; and also ask him what tuner device he would recommend that you buy. He does tuning remotely using datalogs, and can tell you how to do that too. I can give you his contact info if you want, not sure if I should post that here in open forum, but it has been posted before.

Old 10/17/22, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’d like to buy my first racing car now and want to ask for some advice here. What’s the best Mustang to get now for less than $20 000? I’m fine with used cars. I just need to know if I choose a good option that would be cool for races.
Now I am choosing between a Mustang and a Toyota. Recently, I’ve seen an mk4 supra for sale in my area, and it might be a good option too. It’s also sold for around $20K and is among the best racing car models. Everything depends on the condition of the cars I manage to find in the market. If the Mustang looks better and has fewer miles, I would probably go for it.

Last edited by zairafirewall; 10/20/22 at 04:57 AM.
Old 10/17/22, 11:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

welcome to the forum

you would probably get better response to that question if you post a new thread with a title that fits your question, in the forum section that fits your question

and be clear about what kind of racing are you talking about (drag race, road race, autocross, drifting, ... ?), whether you want a track-only car or if you will also drive it on the street, and whether you really want a Mustang or are open to other cars
The following 3 users liked this post by Bert:
05stangkc (10/17/22), m05fastbackGT (10/17/22), NC14GT (10/18/22)