Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Any Possibility of a Retractable Hardtop for the 2010+ Redesign?

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/08, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do like the idea of a retractible hard top, however I always thought that there should be a T-Top S197.

I know there is a photoshop of an S197 T-Top somewhere but I can't find it.
Old 11/8/08, 05:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by zzcoop
Not too bad yet.

Wow, still getting up into the 50's, that it pretty warm for November in KS. We had an earthquake here at 05:59 this morning in Kodiak along with some more snow
Old 11/8/08, 06:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by steve-o
I do like the idea of a retractible hard top, however I always thought that there should be a T-Top S197.

I know there is a photoshop of an S197 T-Top somewhere but I can't find it.
I have never been a fan of T-Tops. It takes longer to take the two T-top pieces off than it does for just a single large targa top like the C4, C5 and C6 Corvettes have, plus T-Tops have more edges to seal meaning more places to leak. That is another reason I would prefer a hardtop convertible. You get the look of a hardtop, with the one touch convenience of a drop top.
Old 11/8/08, 06:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Retractable hard tops can also have some serious issues:
Consumer reports and Motor Trend have both identified wind noise, leaks and rattles in the Sebring and the G6. Engineering has to be about perfect and it has to be adjusted right.
In a Motor Trend convertible comparo between a 2005 V6 Mustang and the G6 Convertible, they gave low marks to the G6 for trunk room. The retractable hard top eats up a lot of space! We took a trip to Denver with 3 adults (2 women) and the suitcases that go with them. My 2005 GT vert had plenty of room. We could actually drive with the top down. In the G6, you would be limited to a couple small duffel bags, or you would not be able to put the top down on the trip.
Weight of the assembly.

Last edited by Juice; 11/8/08 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11/8/08, 06:13 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
a retractable hard top would be really expensive, and really wouldnt sell, if there's an option for a cheaper soft top, which there will be for a long time, it's too much of a cost subject
Old 11/8/08, 06:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here you go, mustang GT Hardtop convertible. codename: muscat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC3VxGwVqp0
Old 11/8/08, 06:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by StangMahn
a retractable hard top would be really expensive, and really wouldnt sell, if there's an option for a cheaper soft top, which there will be for a long time, it's too much of a cost subject
That is what a lot of people said during all those years when they stopped making convertibles at all. IMHO, it they build it, they will come--I would buy one for sure. The hardtop convertible is becoming more the norm--i.e. Sebring, G6, Cadillac XLR, Mazda Miata, etc, so they must be gaining popularity too. The more that are made, the better engineered they will become.
Old 11/8/08, 06:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool "Old School Coupe"

Why not just make a solid hardtop coupe like Twin Turbo's picture of this red Stang on the beach? Shades of the original coupe design? Sure there could be a possible market for the people that just don't want or like a fastback or a vert! Or take the current nice shape of the vert top, when it is up and redo that in a sheet metal coupe body? That possibility might look pretty nice too? CalStang
Attached Thumbnails Any Possibility of a Retractable Hardtop for the 2010+ Redesign?-2009-mustang-coupe-hardtop-art.jpg  

Last edited by CalStang'07; 11/9/08 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Additions
Old 11/8/08, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TTS197
Here you go, mustang GT Hardtop convertible. codename: muscat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC3VxGwVqp0
The only problem with that IMHO is that with the top down, it turns the Mustang into just a two seater. I sold my Corvette and went with the Mustang because we had two children, and I want to be able to take them cruising with me when the top is down. I loved my Mustang, and while it was not nearly as quick or fast as my Corvette, it was a lot more reliable, and I had more fun with it since I could take the family with me. I also got more compliments on my Mustang than I ever did with my C4 or C5 Corvette too
Old 11/8/08, 09:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Can someone post a picture of the current Mustang's trunk interior with the top down, never seen it before and am intrigued!
Old 11/8/08, 10:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

That hard-top is disgusting.
Old 11/9/08, 10:33 AM
Team Mustang Source

Some time ago now rumors were circulating that a retractable hardtop Mustang of sorts was indeed in the plans, and that it was to be built on the upcoming GRWD platform. However, IIRC at that time the 'kicker' was that, while it would be heavily Mustang-based, it wasn't to be a Mustang at all and would instead be sold as a Thunderbird. The buzz was that this was to be another take on the classic, two seat Thunderbird the last gen tried to recreate but with better proportions this go 'round. Cars like the Aston Martin V8 and the Mercedes SL roadster were tossed around as examples of the basic car's layout.

Whether this car is still in the cards or not, or how solid the car or the info was in the first place, is something I cannot comment on.
Old 11/9/08, 12:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jsaylor
Some time ago now rumors were circulating that a retractable hardtop Mustang of sorts was indeed in the plans, and that it was to be built on the upcoming GRWD platform. However, IIRC at that time the 'kicker' was that, while it would be heavily Mustang-based, it wasn't to be a Mustang at all and would instead be sold as a Thunderbird. The buzz was that this was to be another take on the classic, two seat Thunderbird the last gen tried to recreate but with better proportions this go 'round. Cars like the Aston Martin V8 and the Mercedes SL roadster were tossed around as examples of the basic car's layout.

Whether this car is still in the cards or not, or how solid the car or the info was in the first place, is something I cannot comment on.
Well from the Ford survey I took, they were very specfic in about it being a Mustang option. It even had a series for questions on how much one would be willing to pay for such an option. I remember giving it the highest score on desireability, but only a mid-range score on how much I would be willing to pay for it. I didn't want Ford to go crazy with the price
Old 11/9/08, 03:19 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
Well from the Ford survey I took, they were very specfic in about it being a Mustang option. It even had a series for questions on how much one would be willing to pay for such an option. I remember giving it the highest score on desireability, but only a mid-range score on how much I would be willing to pay for it. I didn't want Ford to go crazy with the price
I remember the surveys. The RHT Thunderbird rumors arose some time after those surveys, with some of the insiders dispensing info on the potential project at the time hinting that the concept of building the RHT as a separate car won out over the idea of a simple RHT option for the Mustang. I don't remember anybody going into great detail regarding why the 'distinct offering' angle won out, but I would guess that the pricing issue you bring up had a lot to do with it.
Old 11/9/08, 10:46 PM
Bullitt Member

I remember the surveys. The RHT Thunderbird rumors arose some time after those surveys, with some of the insiders dispensing info on the potential project at the time hinting that the concept of building the RHT as a separate car won out over the idea of a simple RHT option for the Mustang. I don't remember anybody going into great detail regarding why the 'distinct offering' angle won out, but I would guess that the pricing issue you bring up had a lot to do with it.
Thanks for the info. Sad to hear...so much for a steed for every need Hopefully they will reconsider and bring it out as an option in the future.
Old 11/10/08, 12:03 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
Thanks for the info. Sad to hear...so much for a steed for every need Hopefully they will reconsider and bring it out as an option in the future.
There's always the Glass roof option. Thats what I'll be getting
Old 11/10/08, 07:42 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
There's always the Glass roof option. Thats what I'll be getting
Maybe if it opened that would be a suitable substitute. Maybe.

But since it doesn't that's hardly a substitute for those wanting the open sky AND wind in the hair of a vert.
Old 11/10/08, 04:56 PM
GT Member

If Ford sells a 2 seat Thunderbird on a GRWD platform, and makes it look like the last gen at all... then it'll flop like the first one did. Do the same type of car, and drop the retro theme... something new and modern. If Ford puts out this, with Mustang engine options... sign me up for 2! Probly just pipe dreams though... guess I'll have to keep driving my '95.
Old 11/10/08, 07:13 PM
THE RED FLASH ------ Master-Moderator

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,750 Posts
Originally Posted by Godspeed01
If Ford sells a 2 seat Thunderbird on a GRWD platform, and makes it look like the last gen at all... then it'll flop like the first one did. Do the same type of car, and drop the retro theme... something new and modern. If Ford puts out this, with Mustang engine options... sign me up for 2! Probly just pipe dreams though... guess I'll have to keep driving my '95.
Sorry, but I have to disagree. The reason for the last gen T-Bird flop, was due to being way overpriced. On the other hand, if Ford had priced the T-Bird around the same price as the current Mustang, or perhaps just slightly above. It would've sold like hotcakes.
Old 11/10/08, 08:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-o
Can someone post a picture of the current Mustang's trunk interior with the top down, never seen it before and am intrigued!
I don't have a picture but I do know that there is a well behind the rear seat back that the top drops into. It slightly encroaches in the trunk room but not too objectionably.

When I owned my 1994 Mustang convertible I was very happy with it...

Last edited by watchdevil; 11/10/08 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Any Possibility of a Retractable Hardtop for the 2010+ Redesign?