2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Anti Theft System Flashing Car won't start when car is hot

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/22, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anti Theft System Flashing Car won't start when car is hot

I bought a 2013 3.7L in November of last year with around 63,000 miles. The car only had one previous owner which he installed an aftermarket stereo system and a viper security system on it. I haven't had any problems with this vehicle until either early June or late may. The first time the anti theft system light blinked rapidly and wouldn't let me start the car was when it was about 97 degrees out that day and I had the car sitting for about 5 hours outside in the sun. I have noticed that whenever the car sits out in the sun for long periods of time and the temperature is above 95 degrees outside the car won't start.
I have been searching many forums about this happening to mustangs but no one ever mentions anything about heat playing a factor. I called the dealership where a bought it and their booked out till the end of July. I also called a ford dealer to which he mentioned that it could be the aftermarket viper security system on it. Before disabling that I just wanted to ask around if anyone has ever heard of this happening. I have been parking my car under shaded areas and bought a heat visor for the dash to keep it as cool as I can.

This has happened maybe five to ten times since this summer is really hot and ive noticed several other things. My ignition becomes so hot that you can barley touch it and when I put the key in it to try and turn it over that my key becomes to hot when I take it out. Yesterday it happened again while I was leaving work. After 30 mins of it not starting, my coworkers came to try and jump the car. I made my coworker try and start it so I could listen to it from under the hood. I noticed a ticking noise coming from the exterior fuse box. If I press in the brake and the clutch and go to try and start it it will tick from the exterior fuse box but it I just keep the clutch and brake pressed and keep Turing the key in the ignition there will be no ticking noise. The car did not start even with a jump and I had to get a ride home. When the car cools down it automatically starts back up.

When i'm able to get it started it's either takes from 15 mins to an hour. I do several different things when the anti theft system starts blinking rapidly such as leaving the key in the ignition for 60 seconds, putting the key in my door and holding it there for 2 mins, or unlocking and locking my doors by hand, by button, and by the remote. Spraying a can of the compressed air to cool off the ignition and my key when I take it out.

If anyone has had this problem or any advice or recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 7/7/22, 06:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
I would check the charging system first
Old 7/7/22, 12:49 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,979 Likes on 1,603 Posts
I would also check the aftermarket security and stereo systems in addition to the electrical/charging system.. If you also have access to a hand-held programmer/scanner such as the SCT X-4? you can also scan the ECM for trouble codes which would narrow down as to what may be causing the electrical system issues your experiencing... Meanwhile, hope the info provided may be useful
Old 7/17/22, 12:51 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,567 Likes on 1,900 Posts
Back in the Day The Aftermarket Security Systems were Usually to Blame! I would remove Completely & Carefully. 30+Years at the Dealership I've seen many an aftermarket Alarm Removed. Also I had one leave me stranded in my Ranger Parts Delivery Truck when first got the Manager Gig at Clevenger in 99. Even the Factory Add on Alarms Ford Sold were a Pain! Tech's Hated them!

But this is my Personal Opinion and Take it with a Grain of Salt. The Heat of the Ignition Switch really Concerns Me. I went Through The Security No Start Issue in the Wife's 02 Harley F150. Turned out to be the Immobilizer wire which got stretched when Warranty work was done Many Years Prior and they removed the Cab to replace a Head! It was a Pain to Diagnose but an Easy Fix. Just One Little Wire! Audio System could Also be in play.

But again I don't trust an aftermarket Alarm any farther than I can Throw. On a Side Note The Later Ford Add on Alarms are Light Years away from The Garbage they sold until Probably Mid 2000's Give or Take!

Stay Safe!

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/17/22 at 12:54 PM.
Old 9/18/22, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you find a resolution to this issue?

Originally Posted by Mustang045
I bought a 2013 3.7L in November of last year with around 63,000 miles. The car only had one previous owner which he installed an aftermarket stereo system and a viper security system on it. I haven't had any problems with this vehicle until either early June or late may. The first time the anti theft system light blinked rapidly and wouldn't let me start the car was when it was about 97 degrees out that day and I had the car sitting for about 5 hours outside in the sun. I have noticed that whenever the car sits out in the sun for long periods of time and the temperature is above 95 degrees outside the car won't start.
I have been searching many forums about this happening to mustangs but no one ever mentions anything about heat playing a factor. I called the dealership where a bought it and their booked out till the end of July. I also called a ford dealer to which he mentioned that it could be the aftermarket viper security system on it. Before disabling that I just wanted to ask around if anyone has ever heard of this happening. I have been parking my car under shaded areas and bought a heat visor for the dash to keep it as cool as I can.

This has happened maybe five to ten times since this summer is really hot and ive noticed several other things. My ignition becomes so hot that you can barley touch it and when I put the key in it to try and turn it over that my key becomes to hot when I take it out. Yesterday it happened again while I was leaving work. After 30 mins of it not starting, my coworkers came to try and jump the car. I made my coworker try and start it so I could listen to it from under the hood. I noticed a ticking noise coming from the exterior fuse box. If I press in the brake and the clutch and go to try and start it it will tick from the exterior fuse box but it I just keep the clutch and brake pressed and keep Turing the key in the ignition there will be no ticking noise. The car did not start even with a jump and I had to get a ride home. When the car cools down it automatically starts back up.

When i'm able to get it started it's either takes from 15 mins to an hour. I do several different things when the anti theft system starts blinking rapidly such as leaving the key in the ignition for 60 seconds, putting the key in my door and holding it there for 2 mins, or unlocking and locking my doors by hand, by button, and by the remote. Spraying a can of the compressed air to cool off the ignition and my key when I take it out.

If anyone has had this problem or any advice or recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.
Did you ever fix this?
Old 9/18/22, 03:19 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,979 Likes on 1,603 Posts
It appears as though the OP has since disappeared by not following up
The following users liked this post:
NC14GT (9/19/22)
Old 9/19/22, 06:38 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 950 Likes on 578 Posts
^^^ That sure is disappointing when no reply. Owners are so helpful here taking time to answer questions and not even a simple 'thanks'.
Old 9/19/22, 07:38 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Seems like we get a lot of the drive by one time urgent posts and then they never return. They may have read the reply, but I really doubt it.
The following users liked this post:
NC14GT (9/19/22)