Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Another Whiner

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/11, 08:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Whiner

I got my car last Friday, I had it for 4 days and 380 miles before the transmission started whining. (and subsequently so am I) It whines under acceleration in gears 1 through 4, not while crusing and not in fifth or sixth at all. Gears 1 and 2 are the worst, its loud borderline really loud.

The transmission still shifts perfect, I hit the skip shift every now and then but it goes into gear whenever I want and shifts like butter.

I have an appointment this Friday at my dealer, the car is showroom stock.
Old 8/3/11, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by blackgt87
I got my car last Friday, I had it for 4 days and 380 miles before the transmission started whining. (and subsequently so am I) It whines under acceleration in gears 1 through 4, not while crusing and not in fifth or sixth at all. Gears 1 and 2 are the worst, its loud borderline really loud.

The transmission still shifts perfect, I hit the skip shift every now and then but it goes into gear whenever I want and shifts like butter.

I have an appointment this Friday at my dealer, the car is showroom stock.
Can you record and post the sound? I am curious as to how loud it is etc. Can you hear it with the windows up?
Old 8/3/11, 08:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Some advice for you: if they suggest it is normal, ask the service manager to drive a brand new one with you on the lot for comparison.

Good luck!
Old 8/3/11, 08:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by falhulk
Can you record and post the sound? I am curious as to how loud it is etc. Can you hear it with the windows up?
OMG can you hear it with the windows up!! Plain as day, it sounds just like a blower car with a CAI.

I'll do a video later.
Old 8/3/11, 08:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jmatero
Some advice for you: if they suggest it is normal, ask the service manager to drive a brand new one with you on the lot for comparison.

Good luck!
Good idea!
Old 8/3/11, 09:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have gear wine either from the trans or rear end while I'm off the throttle and still in gear, goes away when I give it some gas and start to accel. I think it's fairly normal to hear this and it really doesn't bother me. How hard are you accelerating when you hear the noise?

Has it been confirmed that the 2012's have the new trans fluid per the TSB issued for the 2011's? I thought I heard yes from Deysha but I'm not sure . . .
Old 8/3/11, 09:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 99mstng
I have gear wine either from the trans or rear end while I'm off the throttle and still in gear, goes away when I give it some gas and start to accel. I think it's fairly normal to hear this and it really doesn't bother me. How hard are you accelerating when you hear the noise?

Has it been confirmed that the 2012's have the new trans fluid per the TSB issued for the 2011's? I thought I heard yes from Deysha but I'm not sure . . .
Yours sounds like a rear end gear whine, I heard a very faint one from mine a couple times but it went away.

This is much louder and obviously coming from the transmission area of the car.

It does not matter how slowly I acclerate I hear it, although it is louder the faster I accelerate.

I would also like to know about the fluid since I heard it helps some people with gear whine.
Old 8/3/11, 10:44 AM
Bullitt Member

My replacement transmission sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiqWkZccwtg

This guy had his transmission replaced for a shifting issue... they put the QDC in the new tranny... and now his whines:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLB5pSBRWNU&t=1m10s

Last edited by jmatero; 8/3/11 at 10:46 AM.
Old 8/3/11, 11:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

I also noticed a pretty significant vibration from the shifter handle, only when accelerating or cruising in 4th gear, no other gear does it. It vibrates a decent amount though, shakes your hand. I noticed this on my drive home from taking delivery of the car with 10 miles on it.
Old 8/3/11, 11:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by blackgt87
I also noticed a pretty significant vibration from the shifter handle, only when accelerating or cruising in 4th gear, no other gear does it. It vibrates a decent amount though, shakes your hand. I noticed this on my drive home from taking delivery of the car with 10 miles on it.
We're just starting to hear from 2011/2012 owners about the vibration issue at AFM and this report to the NHTSA was submitted this morning by another owner:

VIN : 1ZVBP8AM2B5...
Component: POWER TRAIN:MANUAL TRANSMISSION
Summary:
EXCESSIVE VIBRATION DURING DECELERATION - SPECIFICALLY WHEN LETTING OFF THE ACCELERATOR, BUT NOT PRESSING THE BRAKES. THE VIBRATION IS STRONG ENOUGH TO VIBRATE THE CENTER CONSOLE AND THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION SHIFT LEVER. THE CONCERN IS THAT THIS EXCESSIVE VIBRATION COULD DAMAGE PARTS OR LOOSEN COMPONENTS, EVENTUALLY RESULTING IN A COMPLETE TRANSMISSION OR DRIVELINE FAILURE. THIS OCCURS EVERY TIME THE CAR IS DRIVEN WHILE DECELERATING. THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUID HAS BEEN REPLACED, WHICH VERY BRIEFLY SEEMED TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE, BUT IT THE VIBRATION RETURNED IN JUST A FEW DAYS.
Old 8/3/11, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yea my whine is not nearly that loud and I agree mine is probably the rear end and I'm sure some friction modifier would fix.

I also have the vibration in the shifter but I think the only time I've noticed it is if I take my hand off the shifter at mid to upper rpms in second. Sounds like a buzzing in the ****.

I have no real concern with either of these as you should expect to have some NVH due to the shorter throw design. If you want a "comfortable" and quite shifter buy a focus. If you want a sport shift on a muscle car then you're going to have some of this . . .

I think most of these complaints are blown our of proportion . . . that said I think some may be valid. blackgt87 if your tranny sounds like the two in the youtube videos I would certainly take it in! Please let us know what Ford has to say Friday.
Old 8/3/11, 12:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 99mstng
Yea my whine is not nearly that loud and I agree mine is probably the rear end and I'm sure some friction modifier would fix.

I also have the vibration in the shifter but I think the only time I've noticed it is if I take my hand off the shifter at mid to upper rpms in second. Sounds like a buzzing in the ****.

I have no real concern with either of these as you should expect to have some NVH due to the shorter throw design. If you want a "comfortable" and quite shifter buy a focus. If you want a sport shift on a muscle car then you're going to have some of this . . .

I think most of these complaints are blown our of proportion . . . that said I think some may be valid. blackgt87 if your tranny sounds like the two in the youtube videos I would certainly take it in! Please let us know what Ford has to say Friday.
No problem, the vibrating shifter doesnt bother me I hardly ever cruise in 4th, its not a buzzing though it will jiggle your whole arm. I will make a video of mine tonight and show you guys, no matter what it is going in if nothing else than to get documented.
Old 8/3/11, 01:22 PM
V6 Member

mine does this too, but not all the time...i am gonna see if i can generate this again, and see what causes it...there are no other issues with shifting, etc.
Old 8/3/11, 03:29 PM
Bullitt Member

J, have you noticed that you move the shifter an put pressure on the syncros before you engage the clutch? Looked like it on almost every shift.
Old 8/3/11, 10:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry I didn't get around to making a video tonight, I will have to do it tomorrow. Mine is not as loud as Jmatero's (I couldn't watch those videos at work earlier) it sounds more like the second one. I paid closer attention today while driving, its loud and noticeable but if I have the radio on even at a normal/lower volume I can't hear it. Plus my car is still showroom stock, no mufflers or air intake.....those would probably drown some of it out too.

I think these cars are SO quiet and well built that they do such a good job of blocking wind and road noise that the whine from the rear ends (like 99mstng described) and transmissions is more apparent. I don't think that tiny faint whine from the rear ends would be noticeable in an older car, especially a mustang. I could be wrong but it is my feeling that the sound from the gears whining makes its way into the car a little different than wind or road noise. I probably won't explain it in a way that makes sense to anyone but me but solid objects transmit sound much better than air, and the road and exhaust noises have to get through air to get into the car to your ears. Where all the sound deadening technology is in place to stop them. The gear whines (from both rear end and trans) have a more direct path since they are phsically touching the car.

Please don't think I am trying to downplay the severe gearbox whining noises some people have, those are unacceptable. I am just saying that the "me too" effect (kinda what we see when people start throwing the phrase "notchy shifting" around) is probably a little greater with whining noises cuz theres no sound left from anything else (except the sound tube lol) to drown them out.

I guess all I'm saying is put some music on and enjoy your car, thats what I'm doing.
Old 8/3/11, 10:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by wonger
J, have you noticed that you move the shifter an put pressure on the syncros before you engage the clutch? Looked like it on almost every shift.
That's not me in the video... Just another owner whose car sounds like mine. Just wanted to clarify.
Old 8/4/11, 12:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

My MT82 whines just like that. I actually liked the sound... Would be nice if it was just a characteristic of the transmission.
Old 8/4/11, 08:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

blackgt87 I agree with your theory and the noises don't bother me one bit, the car is 100x quiter than my 99. Windows down or radio on and I hear nothing . . . still wonder what fluid us 2012 guys got though. Anyone confirm it's the fluid for the 2011 TSB???
Old 8/4/11, 09:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member Moderator

Received 531 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by unas2k5
My MT82 whines just like that. I actually liked the sound... Would be nice if it was just a characteristic of the transmission.
Yeah, I didn't want to be the first to say that.

I would think that anyone who would pay for a ghost cam tune would kill for a tranny that sounds more like a rock crusher.

I totally understand anyone who hates the whine, but I would not complain one bit if mine did - its a nostalgia thing. If these things weren't ticking time bombs, I'd think about putting in the lighter fluid for the whine.
Old 8/4/11, 09:33 AM
V6 Member

I had a 96 GT 5 speed. Never heard a sound from the transmission until I installed a MGW short throw shifter which allowed some whine to get into the passenger compartment. That didn't bother me. Then I changed the fluid and replaced it with Royal Purple which gets rave reviews. That caused the transmission to get real noisy to the point where it bothered me a lot. I swapped out the Royal Purple with some cheap Advance Auto fluid and the whine just about disappeared. I know some people have had some serious problems with their M6 but I think a little whine might be normal. Heck, my buddy has a 70 454 Chevelle SS with a M22 4 speed. You'd think a dump truck was coming down the road that thing whines so much.