Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Annoying rattle in trunk / rear of 2011 GT

Search this Thread

Old 7/8/10, 03:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Annoying rattle in trunk / rear of 2011 GT

The car is so super tight and quiet... But when I pulled into my driveway the day I took delivery, I hear this annoying noise when going over the bump. The bump at the end of the driveway kinda torques the car, and causes this noise.

Almost sounds like a screwdriver is loose in the spare tire well.

I can sometimes hear it when hitting bumps, but big time when going up the driveway bump.

Anyone else?
Old 7/8/10, 04:11 PM
Bullitt Member

This is a problem that I had with mine, it was more of a squeak tho..

https://themustangsource.com/f726/sq...011-gt-484417/
Old 7/8/10, 04:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I assume you've checked to see if the spare or inflator kit are secured. Right?
Old 7/9/10, 04:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah... the gas adapter floats around, but it's something in the body. It's more of a clunk than a rattle...

I need to pull the spare tire out and see. It almost sounds like something in the rear suspension.
Old 7/9/10, 10:08 AM
Cobra Member

I'd take it into the service department and let them look for it when you get the chance. If you can have someone drive you around while laying inside the trunk with your feet inside the car. This may help you isolate the source.
Old 7/9/10, 10:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Lol, i did the exact same thing when i was trying to locate my squeak. I wouldn't wanna be crammed back there for more than the 10 mins we drove around. And of course, the little bastard wouldn't show it's ugly self while I was back there.
Old 7/9/10, 12:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Mines got the same thing. A turn into a driveway with a lip causes a thump sound from the right rear. At least that's where it sounds like it's coming from. Can't find anything that is suspect, but haven't tried real hard yet.
Old 7/10/10, 11:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by dragstart
Mines got the same thing. A turn into a driveway with a lip causes a thump sound from the right rear. At least that's where it sounds like it's coming from. Can't find anything that is suspect, but haven't tried real hard yet.
So I finally get around to doing a Vehicle Health Report, and it says there's a "Brake / Suspension" Warning - service required.

"The vehicle diagnostics indicate a parameter that is out of normal range or that a component has failed. Systems within your vehicle need prompt service and/or inspection."

Wondering if yours is also showing this???
Old 7/10/10, 12:15 PM

Make sure when you run the health report that the hand brake isn't engaged. It will cause an out of parameter error.
Old 7/10/10, 07:38 PM
GT Member

I get it too, but only when i back out of my drive way. Ronn
Old 7/11/10, 12:57 AM
Cobra R Member

On the new mustang are rattles a option? Because on all my past and present foxes they are mandatory....

Have you tryed taking everything apart...see if something loose back there...
Old 7/11/10, 10:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ed1161
Make sure when you run the health report that the hand brake isn't engaged. It will cause an out of parameter error.
It's funny you say that...

Issue #2 with the car: Cranks and cranks, but doesn't start. The first time it happened was when I pulled the NAV fuse because it wasn't recognizing my USB drives, iPod, nothing. So people say pulling the fuse helps. I pulled it, re-inserted it and it didn't work. So then I thought to pull and let sit for 15 minutes. But it looked like rain, so I wanted to pull it in the garage. It cranked and cranked, and wouldn't start. I figured it was cause of the NAV fuse being pulled. I put the fuse in, and it started.

BTW, I had to do a master reset to get it to recognize my USB drives (Lost all my Sirius favorites)

A day later, it wouldn't start. I tried it twice. Just cranked and cranked. I took a few seconds to think about how the h3ll I was going to get home, tried it again and it started fine.

But now I'm thinking that the NAV fuse had nothing to do with the first failure.

ANYWAY (Long story, sorry)

I ran a vehicle health report to see if it picked up on it not starting, and it said "No change".

I did it again WITHOUT the parking brake on, and it sent a report, indicating that there was a change. I still had the Brake failure message on the report.

So I don't know what the heck is going on, but it does seem that the parking brake might have kicked off that potential brake failure message, but running it again with the brake off didn't take away the message.

Last edited by 2K3 Mach; 7/11/10 at 10:25 AM.
Old 7/11/10, 03:43 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure when you stuff the dead body in there that they really are dead, no thumps or knocks then...
Old 7/12/10, 11:09 AM
Cobra Member

Its possible that additional weight in the rear of the car with someone riding in the trunk might prevent the noise. A set of chassis ears would help isolate the noise and a dealer should have a set. They cost a little over a $100 and have a series of about 6 different microphones that can be connected to different suspension pieces to isolate the source component. I'm guessing that it may be in the shock/strut mount area. It wouldn't hurt to check the torque on the nuts on the top and bottom mounting points. You'd think this car would be quiet, since the rear suspension design hasn't changed much in over 30 years.
Old 7/25/10, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

I think I actually fixed this problem. The trunk was rubbing on the black contact points, causing the noise. I put some while lithium grease on the black plastic piece, and the problem has gone away. Not sure how long it will last.

I put the grease on both sides.

Annoying rattle in trunk / rear of 2011 GT-img_1874.jpg
Old 7/25/10, 03:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by 2K3 Mach
I think I actually fixed this problem. The trunk was rubbing on the black contact points, causing the noise. I put some while lithium grease on the black plastic piece, and the problem has gone away. Not sure how long it will last.

I put the grease on both sides.

Attachment 78023
I would simply bring back the car to dealership and have them fixed this isuue. Maybe it is just a misadjusted or bent trunk lid.
Old 7/25/10, 03:58 PM
GT Member

Did you make sure that there were no dead hookers in the trunk? That was my problem.
Old 7/25/10, 05:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
I would simply bring back the car to dealership and have them fixed this isuue. Maybe it is just a misadjusted or bent trunk lid.
I didn't want to take it in anytime soon. If it comes back, then I'll take it in during the winter.