2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Alternate to an oil catch can

Search this Thread

Old 5/20/13 | 07:28 AM
Cobra Member

Alternate to an oil catch can

For an "old school" look, I decided to remove my current catch can, and install two oil breather filters, one on each side of the engine. These filters replace the tubes that run the engine crankcase fumes back into the intake, one on the drivers side, one on the passengers side. It has been discussed on this site and many others that the passenger side allows oil mist to enter the upper intake, and this can cause oil deposits in the intake and backsides of the valves. I don't intend to start another debate on this, but simply show what I used for half the price of an oil catch can:

1) 2011+ GT/Boss Breather Package - Justin's Performance Center

These next items I had to purchase because I have the 3.7 V6, and the upper intake manifold overhands on the passenger side, causing the oil breather filter to need an extension for the passenger side only (5.0's do not require this):

1) one two and a half piece of 5/8 heater hose
2) One 5/8 brass barbed fitting
3) One additional clamp

As of this writing, JPC is going to include these pieces in their kit for 3.7 V6's, so you will not have to get them.

Here are the pictures of the completed install on the passenger side (drivers side did not require the extension tube mod, so it is not shown; the filter on the drivers side simply clamps onto the tube fitting on the valve cover without an extension needed):
Attached Images    
Old 5/20/13 | 08:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool.
Old 5/20/13 | 10:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

So did you completely eliminate the PCV system with this set up? I would recommend having some sort of PCV if you did. To me that sounds like the old down draft tube systems from the Pre Mid 60's... Am I wrong?
Old 5/20/13 | 11:34 AM
Bullitt Member

I imagine this is going to possibly make a mess of the engine bay
Old 5/20/13 | 01:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Supra
I imagine this is going to possibly make a mess of the engine bay
I've been running them on my 5.0 for over 8k miles. No mess at all. I was concerned about this too so I've checked them every month when I check fluid levels and tire pressures. My filters have no oil on them at all. I think that the oil in the intake through the PCV lines is caused more by the negative draw from the intake than from internal engine pressure. Just my opinion of course...
Old 5/20/13 | 02:44 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
I've been running them on my 5.0 for over 8k miles. No mess at all. I was concerned about this too so I've checked them every month when I check fluid levels and tire pressures. My filters have no oil on them at all. I think that the oil in the intake through the PCV lines is caused more by the negative draw from the intake than from internal engine pressure. Just my opinion of course...
Correct. Since the stock tube that ran from the cover to the upper intake is removed, there is no more vacumn to "pull" the crankcase vapor. Both sides have this breather filter.

And in the picture that shows the added hose connection to extend the breather on the passenger side, that hose is connected to the PVC valve; the stock hose that normally connects the cover to the upper intake also connects to the PCV valve, so no, I have not removed it. If removed, the PVC valve looks like this:
Attached Images  
Old 5/20/13 | 03:55 PM
Post *****

I think that the oil in the intake through the PCV lines is caused more by the negative draw from the intake than from internal engine pressure. Just my opinion of course...
I don't think so. It is far easier (path of least resistance) to draw air through the (oversize) intake tube/air filter, than it is via suction from the crankcase that only has x amount of blow by gases.

You guys enjoy those fumes when stuck in traffic on a hot summer day.

Last edited by cdynaco; 5/20/13 at 03:58 PM.
Old 5/20/13 | 04:15 PM
Bullitt Member

How often do you clean and recharge the crankcase vent filters? I'm betting that if filters are cleaned occasionally, they'll never bleed oil.

I ordered (2) K&N Vent Filters through O'Reilly's today. They'll be installed on the 5.0 tomorrow afternoon. I found a rubber cap assortment that contained both 1/2" caps that I'll be using to plug vacuum with. Hopefully, I ordered the right filters. They need to fit over the 1/2" ventilation tubes.
Attached Images   
Old 5/20/13 | 05:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just my opinion so take it for what it is worth... But when PCV systems were implemented in the 60's they literally doubled engine life. New engines are far more efficient but blow by gases need to be removed from the crank case or sludge build up and all sorts of other harmful things will accumulate over time and shorten engine life. From what I have read there is a lot of oil pulled thru the PCV system on the Coyote... Hence the Oil Separator. But I think in the long run you will cause more damage disabling the PCV system than just sucking up and burning a little oil. No research or anything to back my claim... Just what I learned in 2 years of tech school... I think it would be smarter to find a lower flow rate PCV valve than disabling it. And just because it is still stuck in the valve cover does not mean it is functional. When engine vacuum is removed it is disabled. Again take it for what it is worth... Just trying to help...
Old 5/20/13 | 09:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
Just my opinion so take it for what it is worth... But when PCV systems were implemented in the 60's they literally doubled engine life. New engines are far more efficient but blow by gases need to be removed from the crank case or sludge build up and all sorts of other harmful things will accumulate over time and shorten engine life. From what I have read there is a lot of oil pulled thru the PCV system on the Coyote... Hence the Oil Separator. But I think in the long run you will cause more damage disabling the PCV system than just sucking up and burning a little oil. No research or anything to back my claim... Just what I learned in 2 years of tech school... I think it would be smarter to find a lower flow rate PCV valve than disabling it. And just because it is still stuck in the valve cover does not mean it is functional. When engine vacuum is removed it is disabled. Again take it for what it is worth... Just trying to help...
Your thoughts and findings are certainly reasonable.

My intent was to ensure the intake and valves are kept as clean as possible. After reading several posts from members that have been running their Coyotes staticly vented, there's no reported oil consumption or related problems associated with the mod. I've also realized that vent filters should be cleaned often to alleviate any oil leakage that may occur otherwise. I WILL save the tubes and valve if I find it necessary to revert back to stock later.

One question I just thought of:

Would it be better to leave the right bank PCV and hose intact, while venting the left bank only? Knowing the CAI draws unfiltered crankcase vapors directly into the intake tube, my mod would still serve a valid purpose by venting it.
Old 5/20/13 | 10:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bad for your engine as increased crankcase pressure can cause ring flutter which will increase oil usage. Will reduce horse power as cranking more air in and out of your motor takes power away from the crank. Makes a mess in the engine compartment.....Engines run best when there is a negative pressure a vacuum in the crankcase. Any vacuum is better than no vacuum or pressure.
Old 5/20/13 | 10:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 908ssp
Bad for your engine as increased crankcase pressure can cause ring flutter which will increase oil usage. Will reduce horse power as cranking more air in and out of your motor takes power away from the crank. Makes a mess in the engine compartment.....Engines run best when there is a negative pressure a vacuum in the crankcase. Any vacuum is better than no vacuum or pressure.
That's why I asked about venting the left bank only. Crankcase vacuum would still exist on the right bank, but at least, the CAI wouldn't be sucking oil as well. I'm told, and I'll be able to eventually verify it myself, if the filter/s is/are kept clean and not neglected, to become oil soaked, there is no mess in the engine compartment.

Last edited by Missouri Hoss; 5/20/13 at 10:41 PM.
Old 5/21/13 | 03:41 AM
Cobra Member

In reading about this more (PVC verses breather filters), I have basically killed the ability of my engine to remove it's gases and water vapor. I have re-installed the tube/catch can on the passenger side. I left the breather filter on the drivers side, as this side draws in fresh air into the crankcase. So either the tube from the air cleaner, or a simple breather filter on the drivers side is good. On the passenger side, you want the PVC and a tube from it connected to the intake. This produces a vacuum at idle, when the intake pressure is higher than the crankcase, allowing for the gas fumes/blowby to be drawn from the crankcase, and into the intake to a reburn. Without this tube connected to the intake, and using just a breather filter as I had done, does not get the gases/blowby out of the crankcase as well, and can contaminate the oil.

So, bottom line, it's alright for a filter on the drivers side, as this is the "intake" side of the PVC system. It draws fresh clean air into the crankcase from this side. On the passenger side, use a tube from the pvc (in the passenger side valve cover) to the intake to allow the crankcase gases/blowby to be reburned. Place a catch can inline with this tube to seperate any of the oil mist within this tube.

Lesson learned.

Last edited by Bucko; 5/21/13 at 04:57 AM.
Old 5/21/13 | 08:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

I think that is the much smarter approach Bucko...
Old 5/22/13 | 02:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Bucko
In reading about this more (PVC verses breather filters), I have basically killed the ability of my engine to remove it's gases and water vapor. I have re-installed the tube/catch can on the passenger side. I left the breather filter on the drivers side, as this side draws in fresh air into the crankcase. So either the tube from the air cleaner, or a simple breather filter on the drivers side is good. On the passenger side, you want the PVC and a tube from it connected to the intake. This produces a vacuum at idle, when the intake pressure is higher than the crankcase, allowing for the gas fumes/blowby to be drawn from the crankcase, and into the intake to a reburn. Without this tube connected to the intake, and using just a breather filter as I had done, does not get the gases/blowby out of the crankcase as well, and can contaminate the oil.

So, bottom line, it's alright for a filter on the drivers side, as this is the "intake" side of the PVC system. It draws fresh clean air into the crankcase from this side. On the passenger side, use a tube from the pvc (in the passenger side valve cover) to the intake to allow the crankcase gases/blowby to be reburned. Place a catch can inline with this tube to seperate any of the oil mist within this tube.

Lesson learned.
That's my plan now. Leave the PCV (as is) on the right bank and install a vent filter on the left bank.
Old 5/22/13 | 09:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Missouri Hoss
That's why I asked about venting the left bank only. Crankcase vacuum would still exist on the right bank, but at least, the CAI wouldn't be sucking oil as well. I'm told, and I'll be able to eventually verify it myself, if the filter/s is/are kept clean and not neglected, to become oil soaked, there is no mess in the engine compartment.

Read this. http://www.enginebasics.com/Engine%2...ntilation.html
Old 5/23/13 | 07:58 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

As far as looks this seems similar to the 302S setup with the large catch can that vents both sides without suction from the intake, so how is that alright but this idea is not?