2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

Aftermarket HID kits for GTs with no factory HIDs??

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/11, 04:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ZXMustang
You know, I was actually thinking about getting the silverstar bulbs instead of going to all this trouble with the HIDs, but you guys are really sticking it to me and now I think Im going to get the brightest KC lights and strap 16 to my hood. This is crazy guys. I have been on the other end of bright lights before and I cant think of one single time that they were so bright that I felt the need to veer into oncoming traffic. Please give it a rest. Im going to buy what I want and wanted to hear if anyone else had used them before and if they lasted or were easy to install.....
You asked for opinions and you're getting them. Don't blame us if you don't like the truth.

The bixenon kit Im looking at is the highest quality, and its nearly $300. It is more or less universal and all you need to do is pick the bulb type. I would love to try the cheaper ddntuning kit, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I will get what I pay for. I'll see what the light pattern looks like and if its ****, I would have no problem taking it out. But under NO circumstance would I judge it by getting flashed by other drivers. Thats been proven CLEAR AS DAY to me that they have no idea what they are looking at. Just a brighter than normal light that is pissing them off. Boohooooooo
The price you pay doesn't change the physics. No matter how much they cost, you're still putting a light source into a reflector that wasn't designed for it.

Here is a proper HID pattern:

The patter has a well defined cutoff where there is no light above. Sure, you will occasionally get flashed by other drivers as the cutoff area moves up and down with road irregularities. But that's completely different from throwing a constantly blinding light.

And here is an HID conversion:

Notice the two hot spots above the light cutoff line as well as the general scatter of light. The light scatter is mostly just annoying to other drivers - the hot spots are blinding.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 5/25/11 at 04:23 PM.
Old 5/25/11, 04:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may not make them veer into you, but they could miss a turn or not see a
Kid running out in the street right after you pass. Hope your kids PR wife never pass you going the other direction and end up wrecking or hurting themselves. Oh, but you don't care about them do you. Nobody you care about could ever drive past you right? How much you willing to bet?
Old 5/25/11, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
You asked for opinions and you're getting them. Don't blame us if you don't like the truth.

The price you pay doesn't change the physics. No matter how much they cost, you're still putting a light source into a reflector that wasn't designed for it.

Here is a proper HID pattern:

And here is an HID conversion:

Notice the two hot spots above the light cutoff line as well as the general scatter of light. The light scatter is mmostly annoying to other drivers - the hot spots are blinding.
I'll take pictures as soon as I get one of these kits and you guys can check it out. Im open to opinions, but I also have my opinion and its totally different then yours. But like I said, I want what works best and cost is also up there.
Old 5/25/11, 04:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wonger
You may not make them veer into you, but they could miss a turn or not see a
Kid running out in the street right after you pass. Hope your kids PR wife never pass you going the other direction and end up wrecking or hurting themselves. Oh, but you don't care about them do you. Nobody you care about could ever drive past you right? How much you willing to bet?
Oh I care about them, but definitely not about your family. I hope they drive past me. Ill be sure to give them a few "nails in the coffin" flashes from my brights just to make sure they miss that turn and hit the kids in the school crossing at night. Move along jackass. This is not an opinion, and totally not needed.

You going to show me the alive at 25 movie next dad?

Last edited by ZXMustang; 5/25/11 at 04:26 PM.
Old 5/25/11, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
So why would you spend $300 for an HID kit that you've been advised is illegal and dangerous instead of about the same money for a projector lamp kit?
Old 5/25/11, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
So why would you spend $300 for an HID kit that you've been advised is illegal and dangerous instead of about the same money for a projector lamp kit?
No aftermarket HID kits including the projector style kits are legal. None of them are DOT approved unless you are getting a replacement kit from a vehicle manufacturer, oem. So thats out. Next is that I hate the projector look and if I wanted it I would have ordered it on the car. I missed the look from the GT500 which had the halogen style look with the HID. And furthermore, my muffler delete axleback is illegal. So are the lowering springs and most of the mods all you soap box people are already using.

Last edited by ZXMustang; 5/25/11 at 04:34 PM.
Old 5/25/11, 05:02 PM
Cobra Member

Guys, I'm one of the most reasonable people you will ever meet and am all about safety within reason. That being said, I have to lean to the side (if you will) of ZXMustang. Not everyone who gets down on their 5.0 has done it with 100% due regard of safety for themself and others(ie: playing with that stuborn Camaro or SRT on the highway). We didn't purchase our cars because they drive so nicely cruising at 55 mph. So arguing safety and legality issues over someones aftermarket headlights with a Mustang 5.0 is pointless. I could go on forever with analogies here but that's not what I'm trying to do. Just look at the big picture is my point. As for legalities, it depends on the state in which you reside. For me in South Carolina, you must have, "2 working headlights " as the law states. On the other hand, you must only have, " one working tail light and one working brake light"...go figure. So to say the least, HID's are not a problem here in SC. By the way, I'm still deciding on the 4k or 6 HID's.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket HID kits for GTs with no factory HIDs??-stangyard2.jpg  

Last edited by 2012GT; 5/25/11 at 05:04 PM.
Old 5/25/11, 07:05 PM

Oh I care about them, but definitely not about your family. I hope they drive past me. Ill be sure to give them a few "nails in the coffin" flashes from my brights just to make sure they miss that turn and hit the kids in the school crossing at night. Move along jackass. This is not an opinion, and totally not needed.

You going to show me the alive at 25 movie next dad?
I prefer TMS over the some of the other Mustang boards that might have higher traffic, or more 2011 Mustang posts, because the members here generally behave with civility and decorum (and post in complete sentences). I hope posters like ZXMustang are not the harbinger of an impending trend.
Old 5/25/11, 07:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SolidAxle
I prefer TMS over the some of the other Mustang boards that might have higher traffic, or more 2011 Mustang posts, because the members here generally behave with civility and decorum (and post in complete sentences). I hope posters like ZXMustang are not the harbinger of an impending trend.
Don't worry. I only respond like that when provoked.
Old 5/25/11, 07:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ZX, I admire your gumption. He only asked for recommendations and instead he gets criticized repeatedly and have people shoving their own personal doctrines down his throat. I love how every other month, someone asks the same question about HID upgrades and gets slammed repeatedly by most of the same people. I've seen this about 3-4 times already.

ZX was only responding with the same level of ferocity as he was given and quite frankly, the whole "it's illegal" and not "DOT legal" excuses are just pure bull$hit. Half the crap on our cars aren't street legal, so let's not be hypocrites about that.

yes, there are concerns about the safety of blinding people and the extra glare, and that's what's keeping me from slapping on aftermarket HID's on my headlights, but there's a right way and a wrong way to express your opinions. who here likes to be preached about what they can't and can't do anyway?

BTW ZX: I don't recommend the Silverstars b/c they made absolutely no difference when I put them on my GT.
Old 5/25/11, 08:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bones302
ZX, I admire your gumption. He only asked for recommendations and instead he gets criticized repeatedly and have people shoving their own personal doctrines down his throat. I love how every other month, someone asks the same question about HID upgrades and gets slammed repeatedly by most of the same people. I've seen this about 3-4 times already.

ZX was only responding with the same level of ferocity as he was given and quite frankly, the whole "it's illegal" and not "DOT legal" excuses are just pure bull$hit. Half the crap on our cars aren't street legal, so let's not be hypocrites about that.

yes, there are concerns about the safety of blinding people and the extra glare, and that's what's keeping me from slapping on aftermarket HID's on my headlights, but there's a right way and a wrong way to express your opinions. who here likes to be preached about what they can't and can't do anyway?

BTW ZX: I don't recommend the Silverstars b/c they made absolutely no difference when I put them on my GT.
Thank you so much for your post. You completely understand where I'm coming from and didnt jump on the bandwagon like a few others. This was all Im trying to say.
Old 5/25/11, 08:25 PM
Cobra Member

Guys, I'm one of the most reasonable people you will ever meet and am all about safety within reason. That being said, I have to lean to the side (if you will) of ZXMustang. Not everyone who gets down on their 5.0 has done it with 100% due regard of safety for themself and others(ie: playing with that stuborn Camaro or SRT on the highway). We didn't purchase our cars because they drive so nicely cruising at 55 mph. So arguing safety and legality issues over someones aftermarket headlights with a Mustang 5.0 is pointless. I could go on forever with analogies here but that's not what I'm trying to do. Just look at the big picture is my point. As for legalities, it depends on the state in which you reside. For me in South Carolina, you must have, "2 working headlights " as the law states. On the other hand, you must only have, " one working tail light and one working brake light"...go figure. So to say the least, HID's are not a problem here in SC. By the way, I'm still deciding on the 4k or 6 HID's.
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket HID kits for GTs with no factory HIDs??-stangyard2.jpg  
Old 5/25/11, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

The bixenon kit Im looking at is the highest quality, and its nearly $300. It is more or less universal and all you need to do is pick the bulb type. I would love to try the cheaper ddntuning kit, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I will get what I pay for. I'll see what the light pattern looks like and if its ****, I would have no problem taking it out. But under NO circumstance would I judge it by getting flashed by other drivers. Thats been proven CLEAR AS DAY to me that they have no idea what they are looking at. Just a brighter than normal light that is pissing them off. Boohooooooo

I believe you might be a little slow to comprehend...if you put ANY HID kit in a halogen reflector housing you are a completer je#k off with NO respect to any other drivers. If you did any research at all you will see HIDs are NO brighter...it's just the color (4300K) is almost identical to that of daytime sunlight. The reason you think it's brighter is when the wrong lenses are used they scatter the nicer light everywhere but on the road!!! Good luck and karma sucks!!!
Old 5/25/11, 08:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

No aftermarket HID kits including the projector style kits are legal. None of them are DOT approved unless you are getting a replacement kit from a vehicle manufacturer, oem. So thats out. Next is that I hate the projector look and if I wanted it I would have ordered it on the car. I missed the look from the GT500 which had the halogen style look with the HID. And furthermore, my muffler delete axleback is illegal. So are the lowering springs and most of the mods all you soap box people are already using.

since when are axlebacks muffler deletes and springs illegal??????????????

In my state they check headlight alignment for inspection...if you have resonators they are considered mufflers and sure won't kill anybody
Old 5/25/11, 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2006stiguy
I believe you might be a little slow to comprehend...if you put ANY HID kit in a halogen reflector housing you are a completer je#k off with NO respect to any other drivers. If you did any research at all you will see HIDs are NO brighter...it's just the color (4300K) is almost identical to that of daytime sunlight. The reason you think it's brighter is when the wrong lenses are used they scatter the nicer light everywhere but on the road!!! Good luck and karma sucks!!!
You couldn't be more incorrect. First off, I would be going with the 6K ones. Those are mostly white with a hint of blue. Second off, the 35w HIDs are easily 1.5x brighter than halogens. I have had several cars with both aftermarket and factory HIDs, and they are far superior than your most expensive halogen bulb. Now as stated before, if you dont have any relevant experience with aftermarket HIDs, then please for the love of god MOVE ON! All you are trying to do is stir up ****. Its stupid, and you are making yourself look like a moron.
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bones302

I second that.
Mach 1 Member

4300k is a true sun color and the higher you go the more blue and then purple the light becomes. If you want the best lighting and "color" get a tsx projector retrofit with 4300k bulbs from Casear at www.lightwerks.net
Old 5/25/11, 08:40 PM
Banned

since when are axlebacks muffler deletes and springs illegal??????????????

In my state they check headlight alignment for inspection...if you have resonators they are considered mufflers and sure won't kill anybody
You go down to cali and watch the cops measure the bumpers of cars at car shows to see if they are too low. And any aftermarket exhaust would be considered "offroad use only". For the slow people, that means not street legal. Not DOT approved. I've seen guys at local car shows get towed for having DOT drag radials, but because the tread on a drag radial is lower than the law allows, that car was not allowed to leave on them.
Old 5/25/11, 08:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

You couldn't be more incorrect. First off, I would be going with the 6K ones. Those are mostly white with a hint of blue. Second off, the 35w HIDs are easily 1.5x brighter than halogens. I have had several cars with both aftermarket and factory HIDs, and they are far superior than your most expensive halogen bulb. Now as stated before, if you dont have any relevant experience with aftermarket HIDs, then please for the love of god MOVE ON! All you are trying to do is stir up ****. Its stupid, and you are making yourself look like a moron.

Brighter only because of how the human eye interprets the reflection of light at different color temperatures ie: halogens are approx 3000kelvin btw. 12000k are almost invisible but both can be the same wattage or actual light power. Google it, search it, wiki it, just do the research please!!!

Last edited by 12C/OBoss; 5/25/11 at 08:44 PM.
Old 5/25/11, 08:43 PM
Banned

Brighter only because of how the human eye interprets the reflection of light at different color temperatures ie: halogens are approx 3000kelvin and 12000k are almost invisible but both can be the same wattage or actual light power. Google it, search it, wiki it, just do the research please!!!
You have no facts and frankly make no sense. Im going to unsubscribe from my own thread because it has gone way out of control, and nobody seems to have the knowledge I am looking for. If you have aftermarket HIDs, please PM me with your impressions. Thanks and good evening.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HID kits for GTs with no factory HIDs??