Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Aftermarket HID kits for GTs with no factory HIDs??

Search this Thread

Old 5/24/11, 09:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket HID kits for GTs with no factory HIDs??

Personally I hate the projector lights that you get with the HID option. The stock light enclosure looks just like my old shelby had, but with no HIDs like the shelby did. But there are a few kits out there that look like you can convert to HIDs and have the best of both worlds.... Check them out. Anyone try any of these? Or another one?

http://www.stangmods.com/2010-Mustan...Show=TechSpecs

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W
Old 5/24/11, 09:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please don't put HID's on a halogen reflector housing.

They glare and throw light absolutely everywhere, including oncoming drivers eyes.

HIDS only belong in projectors or a reflector designed for HIDS, something the stock halogen light housing is not.
Old 5/24/11, 10:49 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm going to suggest going to theretrofitsource.com they have some nice retrofit kits that actually put in projectors so you don't blind oncoming traffic.
Old 5/25/11, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

for $300 or so, retrofitting some projectors is probably the best way to go for you.

I'm actually thinking about it now...

Originally Posted by FCMalie
I'm going to suggest going to theretrofitsource.com they have some nice retrofit kits that actually put in projectors so you don't blind oncoming traffic.
Old 5/25/11, 03:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LEwis26
Please don't put HID's on a halogen reflector housing.
This is how ford did it with the bullits and the 07-09 GT500s.
Old 5/25/11, 03:04 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by ZXMustang
This is how ford did it with the bullits and the 07-09 GT500s.
True, but the system was designed to DOT standards so that people were not blinded. The housings for HID and non-HID were different, but they looked similar.
Old 5/25/11, 03:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Overboost
True, but the system was designed to DOT standards so that people were not blinded. The housings for HID and non-HID were different, but they looked similar.
Honestly I could care less about if it hurts your eyes or not. I had a C6 corvette with factory HIDs and the GT500 with factory HIDs. I got flashed from people all the time that thought I had my brights on. So either way its going to bother people and I could give a ****.
Old 5/25/11, 03:14 PM
GTR Member

Honestly I could care less about if it hurts your eyes or not. I had a C6 corvette with factory HIDs and the GT500 with factory HIDs. I got flashed from people all the time that thought I had my brights on. So either way its going to bother people and I could give a ****.
Well, it's illegal. Don't get pissed if an cocky LEO pulls you over for them. I was simply explaining the differences.
Old 5/25/11, 03:28 PM
Cobra Member

What a fantastic mentality......
Old 5/25/11, 03:30 PM
Banned

What a fantastic mentality......
Glad you like it. I LOVED flashing those people back when I got their brights flashed at me thinking I had my brights on. Even in a corvette, one of the lowest cars around, I would still get flashed at. It drove me crazy. So allow me to return the favor, with literally no remorse. You cant please everyone, and personally I'd rather be safer on the roads at night with 10x better visibility, then hurt some asshats eyes for a few seconds.
Old 5/25/11, 03:45 PM
Cobra Member

Glad you like it. I LOVED flashing those people back when I got their brights flashed at me thinking I had my brights on. Even in a corvette, one of the lowest cars around, I would still get flashed at. It drove me crazy. So allow me to return the favor, with literally no remorse. You cant please everyone, and personally I'd rather be safer on the roads at night with 10x better visibility, then hurt some asshats eyes for a few seconds.
Wait until you blind someone and they veer into your lane because of your lights. And then you get blamed for improper lighting and your insurance is responsible.

It can and has happened to people before.
Old 5/25/11, 03:46 PM
Banned

Wait until you blind someone and they veer into your lane because of your lights. And then you get blamed for improper lighting and your insurance is responsible.

It can and has happened to people before.
That was quick. I was waiting for that excuse. I guess I got lucky from the corvette and GT500 then.
Old 5/25/11, 03:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
There is a right way and a wrong way to improve lighting. The right way is to install proper projector lamps so that the light pattern is controlled and limited. The wrong way is to install cheap, illegal, and dangerous HID conversion kits that throw light everywhere and potentially blind other drivers.

We're not talking about a momentary flash of bright light. Using HIDs in a halogen reflector produces blinding light the entire time you are approaching another vehicle. The other driver could hit an animal or pedestrian or even drift off the road because of being blinded by your foolishness.

What sort of arrogance makes you believe your desires outweigh the safety of others? Hey, why not have drink and do some texting while you're driving? We wouldn't want you to be the least bit inconvenienced by the facts in your quest to make a jackass of yourself!
Old 5/25/11, 04:00 PM
Banned

Can anyone that has actually done this to a new GT please weigh in here. I'm willing to bet that none of you have done this conversion and really have no real experience in this. Now move along.
Old 5/25/11, 04:02 PM
Cobra Member

That was quick. I was waiting for that excuse. I guess I got lucky from the corvette and GT500 then.
You're missing the point that in those situations you had factory HID lights, making your lighting set up legal. Therefore you wouldn't have been at fault.

Please just do it right or not at all. There's no reason to put other drivers at risk, especially innocent ones that you dont even know.
Old 5/25/11, 04:05 PM
Banned

You're missing the point that in those situations you had factory HID lights, making your lighting set up legal. Therefore you wouldn't have been at fault.

Please just do it right or not at all. There's no reason to put other drivers at risk, especially innocent ones that you dont even know.
You know, I was actually thinking about getting the silverstar bulbs instead of going to all this trouble with the HIDs, but you guys are really sticking it to me and now I think Im going to get the brightest KC lights and strap 16 to my hood. This is crazy guys. I have been on the other end of bright lights before and I cant think of one single time that they were so bright that I felt the need to veer into oncoming traffic. Please give it a rest. Im going to buy what I want and wanted to hear if anyone else had used them before and if they lasted or were easy to install.....
Old 5/25/11, 04:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have installed the Raxiom projector lights with halos on my Mustang. They work very well and (I think) look better than the factory HIDs.

Besides, it doesn't matter if any of us have installed the cheap kits. It's a matter of physics. The light element of an HID capsule is a different shape, is in a different position, and is aligned in a different direction than the filament of a halogen bulb. This puts the light source as much as a half-inch out of position. That may not sound like much but think about how out of focus a 35mm camera lens gets by just adjusting the length (focus) by a half-inch. If you really want to see them, I can post photos of a proper HID light pattern and an HID "upgrade" pattern - it will be obvious to you that the glare and light scatter is unacceptable.
Old 5/25/11, 04:09 PM
Cobra Member

Here's a side by side and it shows how well the projector focuses the HID light and how poorly the halogen housing doesn't focus.

You might not veer. But think about the old ladies who can barely drive as it is. Don't be stupid about it, and put other people at risk.
Attached Images  
Old 5/25/11, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I have installed the Raxiom projector lights with halos on my Mustang. They work very well and (I think) look better than the factory HIDs.

Besides, it doesn't matter if any of us have installed the cheap kits. It's a matter of physics. The light element of an HID capsule is a different shape, is in a different position, and is aligned in a different direction than the filament of a halogen bulb. This puts the light source as much as a half-inch out of position. That may not sound like much but think about how out of focus a 35mm camera lens gets by just adjusting the length (focus) by a half-inch. If you really want to see them, I can post photos of a proper HID light pattern and an HID "upgrade" pattern - it will be obvious to you that the glare and light scatter is unacceptable.
The bixenon kit Im looking at is the highest quality, and its nearly $300. It is more or less universal and all you need to do is pick the bulb type. I would love to try the cheaper ddntuning kit, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I will get what I pay for. I'll see what the light pattern looks like and if its ****, I would have no problem taking it out. But under NO circumstance would I judge it by getting flashed by other drivers. Thats been proven CLEAR AS DAY to me that they have no idea what they are looking at. Just a brighter than normal light that is pissing them off. Boohooooooo
Old 5/25/11, 04:12 PM
Banned

Here's a side by side and it shows how well the projector focuses the HID light and how poorly the halogen housing doesn't focus.

You might not veer. But think about the old ladies who can barely drive as it is. Don't be stupid about it, and put other people at risk.
Minus the fogs, the one on the right looks identical to my 09 GT500 with the HIDs.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket HID kits for GTs with no factory HIDs??