Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Adding an automatic trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/12, 02:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Adding an automatic trans cooler

I'd like to add an automatic transmission cooler on my 2011 V6. Did Ford have this as standard equipment perhaps on the V8's? If so, would they bolt up to a 2011 V6? I'd rather go the route of using factory parts (I.E. cooler, brackets, lines) if possible rather than an aftermarket kit.
Old 4/18/12, 02:50 PM
BOSS Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you plan on doing any type of racing or towing that would necessitate an auxiliary cooler? Heat does kill transmissions but the factory setup is plenty capable of handling the stock powertrain.
Old 4/18/12, 07:31 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LagunaBeach
Do you plan on doing any type of racing or towing that would necessitate an auxiliary cooler? Heat does kill transmissions but the factory setup is plenty capable of handling the stock powertrain.
Right.

Unless you are adding a high stall converter or plan to tow a heavy trailer, which you can't do with a Mustang anyway, there really is no advantage to an extra cooler. And also consider that you will need to add some fluid after installing the cooler and there is no filler tube, you have to pump it in.
Old 4/19/12, 06:20 AM
Cobra Member

I do alot of highway driving, no towing or racing. I thought that with the highway speeds, it would help. Good to know then that the stock setup is good enough.
Old 4/19/12, 11:00 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Bucko
I do alot of highway driving, no towing or racing. I thought that with the highway speeds, it would help. Good to know then that the stock setup is good enough.
This is just out of curiosity, but why do you think Ford isn't optimizing the equipment they put in their cars? First you questioned the engine oil, now you're not comfortable with how cool the transmission will be during daily operation. For the record, and this is in the case you're not aware of this, but highway driving is actually much easier on the entire vehicle than city driving...I'm just curious what it is that has you questioning Ford's equipment/guidelines. If this is because the GT500 is given the option for an additional external cooler, it might help to know that it won't be necessary unless that car is driven in competition; the GT500 applies far more stress to the transmission than a stock GT of any kind will, and for daily use the GT500 doesn't require an additional cooler.
Old 4/19/12, 02:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would recommend you get a gauge first, to find out for certain if the cooler is needed. I have an Aeroforce gauge in my GT just for that purpose. I've done two track days so far, ran Mid Ohio at maybe 6/10's in 3rd the whole track, and the trans. temp. never got over 200!
Old 4/20/12, 04:22 AM
Cobra Member

Every auto I've owned has had over 200K put on them by me. My other ride, a 2005 F150, has 234K on it. I installed an engine oil cooler, as well as a transmission oil cooler on it. It sees frequent trips from Dallas to Orlando, and has never let me down. It does see light towing, so the coolers were justified, and have helped keep the truck trouble free.

It's been my experience that heat is a big factor in auto transmission breakdown, so I wanted to know if the stock arrangement was good enough to keep it cool. I plan to see well over 200K on this Mustang. It does see some severe stop and go traffic in downtown Orlando, and this had me concerned that perhaps the transmission oil, after a 150 mile trip, would begin to get hot when I have to drive through stop/crawl/go traffic for 30 to 45 minutes.

And yes, I'm one of those that question if the manufacturer has it right. Most of us have experienced a poor design in vehicles in the past. Nothing is perfect. I also own a 2005 F150, and have experienced a few questionable designs with it, along with thousands of other that also own one of these trucks in this year range. I've been a member of the F150forum for a few years, and there a hundreds of posts there questioning the equipment design. As some examples, the 2004 to 2008 Ford F150's have a reputation for eating automatic transmissions at an early mileage. The 5.4's had an early spark plug breakage problem; When I replaced mine at 100K, 3 out of 8 plugs broke when removing them. This was a flaw in design, wether it was the spark plug manufacturer, or Ford to blame. This is still being discussed, and will never be resolved. The 5.4's also experience a tapping noise which ended up being cam phasers in most cases. I still stay with Ford, but will always question if something is correct, or could be improved.

Me questioning the stock cooling of the automatic transmission was just that: a question if a cooler would help in extending the life of the transmission. I'm sure replacement is not cheap, so if there was a way to extend it's life at a cheaper cost, I'll ask. That's why I joined this forum; to learn, question, and identify corrections that will keep my Mustang on the road for a long time.

Last edited by Bucko; 4/20/12 at 05:02 AM.
Old 4/20/12, 01:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

And yes, I'm one of those that question if the manufacturer has it right.
Doing this while admitting you put over 200k miles on vehicles is pointless. There isn't a vehicle built, nor will there ever be, that doesn't experience breakdowns inside 200k miles. Your expectations are unrealistic, to say the least. Is Ford always going to get it right? No. Neither is Chevy, Chrysler, Toyota, BMW, Benz, etc., etc. But the idea that you somehow know better than Ford--or any vehicle manufacturer--how operate/lubricate the equipment they put on the vehicles is, simply, nonsense. This is, of course, assuming you're not the lead designer for Mustang powertrain components, and I feel pretty safe in that assumption. Drive the car/truck like it's meant to be driven and you'll end up with a vehicle that probably lasts longer than it would otherwise. If you want to stick a cooler on there, spend your money and stick one on there. I think you're doing a whole lot of over-thinking on vehicles.
Old 4/20/12, 04:17 PM
BOSS Member

Stop and go Orlando traffic is peanuts for a transmission considering the abuse testing they must go through to pass durability tests. Just because you put additional coolers on your previous vehicles doesn't mean that's why they went 200K.

Not all car designs are perfect, some flaws arise after vehicles reach a certain number of miles. However, it just makes the engineers work that much harder to achieve better results.
Old 4/20/12, 09:04 PM
Cobra Member

Totally agree. I never said I know or knew more than any manufacturer, or auto engineer. Just stating they don't always get it right, and can be questioned. History shows that they all have had their design flaws.

The fact I have got is attributed to the better jobs that have been done by them, plus the maintenance that I have done as well. And keeping the lubricants cool can't hurt either.
Old 4/21/12, 12:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
Some of you Gents are not being Gents! What would be wrong with a little more trans fluid and a little extra cooling. Its not unheard of. What could it hurt
Old 4/21/12, 01:39 PM

Dude just answer the guys question and close the thread is there one for a v6 or not and if so whats the brand? Let him think or do whatever he wants its his car. you probably have no need for one with a stock setup but theres other things you dont need to like spoilers capless gas cap hill assist etc. Just answer his question and quit all the bashing. This forum is for info not for whos right or wrong.
Old 4/21/12, 04:13 PM
Cobra Member

I'll continue to ask questions, learn, and make my own decisions.

As I stated before, I own another Ford, experienced problems that were due to "less than perfect" design, so I ask questions on my current Mustang. I've stuck with Ford because I like their design overall, and have been able to learn from others how to work around the problems, and make it work. The many that help here on this forum make it worth skipping past the ones that have no constructive comments.

Simply move on to other posts. Don't have to answer my questions. It would actually be better that way for all involved.

Last edited by Bucko; 4/21/12 at 04:30 PM.
Old 4/21/12, 05:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I'll continue to ask questions, learn, and make my own decisions.

As I stated before, I own another Ford, experienced problems that were due to "less than perfect" design, so I ask questions on my current Mustang. I've stuck with Ford because I like their design overall, and have been able to learn from others how to work around the problems, and make it work. The many that help here on this forum make it worth skipping past the ones that have no constructive comments.

Simply move on to other posts. Don't have to answer my questions. It would actually be better that way for all involved.
Why are you asking? Seriously? The transmission doesn't need an extra cooler on it. Nothing you do to the car is going to outdo or out-test what Ford did to determine the car is best equipped with that transmission. You're not going to overheat it. If you want to waste money putting a cooler on it, then do it. You don't need anyone here telling you the cooler is superfluous for you to make a decision. If the car required a cooler for it to last more than three years, it would be on there.

Again, you cannot out-engineer Ford. They know what's best for the car. It's built for longevity, not for an 1000-mile run like Carl Edwards' cars are.
Old 4/21/12, 05:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kcoTiger
Again, you cannot out-engineer Ford. They know what's best for the car. It's built for longevity, not for an 1000-mile run like Carl Edwards' cars are.
kcoTiger - Now you're the one sounding crazy. Do you think companies that make trans coolers are all insane too?

Seriously now, you need to take Ford off that pedastel, or any auto manufacturer for that matter, and realize that when buying a $30k car, you are in fact buying a car full of compromises here and there, and if it weren't then it's likely many of these forums wouldn't exist in the way they exist today.

Do you honestly and completely believe the statement you made?? Or was this a last ditch effort to take a dig at Bucko?
Old 4/21/12, 06:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Bucko - I'll be honest, I've rethought this a little, you probably couldn't do wrong by installing a small secondary cooler.

My 2012 automatic with 4k miles has started to make a pump noise, I believe, when in gear. Almost all of my miles are highway miles, 85-90%, and not certain the factory cooler is cutting it.

With my 2011 manual car, I put 20k miles on it before a failing input shaft bearing ruined the entire trans, which I'm starting to suspect is from excessive heat, breaking down the oil protection.

Someone on another thread installed a larger/deeper Auto Trans pan, likely for drag racing, but it surely can't hurt.
Old 4/21/12, 06:08 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Oh none of us said it will hurt.. its just not necessary.
You can install a fart can on your car. Will it hurt? Nope... but not necessary.
Old 4/21/12, 07:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by kn7671
kcoTiger - Now you're the one sounding crazy. Do you think companies that make trans coolers are all insane too?

Seriously now, you need to take Ford off that pedastel, or any auto manufacturer for that matter, and realize that when buying a $30k car, you are in fact buying a car full of compromises here and there, and if it weren't then it's likely many of these forums wouldn't exist in the way they exist today.

Do you honestly and completely believe the statement you made?? Or was this a last ditch effort to take a dig at Bucko?
I didn't say aftermarket manufacturers couldn't. I said he couldn't. I doubt I'm wrong, else I'd not have said as much. Of course they compromise. Of course it's possible to improve on their equipment. I didn't say it wasn't.
Old 4/22/12, 06:23 AM
Retired Tms Staff

If you guys are not going to give a simple answer to the original question then stop posting comments in this thread. Time to clean up this place.
Old 5/25/12, 04:34 AM

Worried about heat in your transmission? www.lubricants.com 1150 trans fluid. Buzz

Quick Reply: Adding an automatic trans cooler