Sponsored By:

Adding an aftermarket Stereo??

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/14, 11:14 AM
SVS
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding an aftermarket Stereo??

I have A 2011 GT with the base stock Stereo. Added a nice Corner Box in the trunk to house a 12" Polk Audio Sub and Rocford fosgate 500Watt mono D amp to power it. Changed out the Speakers to Pioneer TS A68855R 6x9's that can handle 350Watts (max). Next step is an AMP for the 4 speakers and keep the stock head unit and/or switch out the head unit? When the stock radio is pulled does this change the HVAC controls? Which I'm pretty sure it does as it's integrated into the center console. I don't want the HVAC controls above the Radio and aftermarket ***** and buttons. Part of me would rather live with the limitations of the stock radio in order to keep the HVAC control system from being changed out...

Who's done this and any advice and pictures is appreciated. Considering my options for what to do next....

Old 12/18/14, 02:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
What are you using to get the subwoofer signal? A line-out converter? If you look at a few of the other threads sound processors are the big thing right now. Lazer has the details on which ones to go with, but they basically allow you to run the amps and keep the stock HU, while giving you great signal quality. I want Bluetooth, hands free, nav, and all the other stuff that comes with phone integration on top of great sound quality....So I'm going to replace the HU. I really don't like the stock HU setup anyway

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 12/18/14 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12/19/14, 09:09 AM
SVS
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
What are you using to get the subwoofer signal? A line-out converter? If you look at a few of the other threads sound processors are the big thing right now. Lazer has the details on which ones to go with, but they basically allow you to run the amps and keep the stock HU, while giving you great signal quality. I want Bluetooth, hands free, nav, and all the other stuff that comes with phone integration on top of great sound quality....So I'm going to replace the HU. I really don't like the stock HU setup anyway
Is Lazer a person who Posts here?

My deal with the aftermarket set ups is I want the HVAC controls at the bottom and not a display or touch screen. I don't know if this type of a set up exists which might force my hand to use a LCQ-1 type sound processor and stick with the stock HU. I also don't want bright screens at Night, another reason I don't want a display screen for the HVAC.
Old 12/19/14, 11:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SVS
Is Lazer a person who Posts here?

My deal with the aftermarket set ups is I want the HVAC controls at the bottom and not a display or touch screen. I don't know if this type of a set up exists which might force my hand to use a LCQ-1 type sound processor and stick with the stock HU. I also don't want bright screens at Night, another reason I don't want a display screen for the HVAC.
I hear you there, I was considering something like the LCQ-1 for a bit as well, I just really don't like the stock HU enough to keep it. Yes, laserred is a forum member. He seems to be the resident expert on this stuff.

I know you don't want a touchscreen, but there is a kit that links everything through one 7" HU. It's the iDatalink/Maestro kit that links everything to a Kenwood double din unit such as the DDX7701HD:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113DDX7...DDX7701HD.html

If you go to that link and put it in the cart it will show you everything you need to make it work. This essentially allows you to control everything through the HU. There are a few threads on here of people that have done it, if that interests you. Otherewise, I think our options are pretty limited. It's either sound processor, or new HU with the touchscreen HVAC.

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 12/19/14 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12/19/14, 02:43 PM
SVS
V6 Member

Thanks for your feedback....
Old 12/25/14, 09:04 AM
SVS
V6 Member

Santa Claws is da MAN!!!

Now gotta figure out the face plate adapter and it needs an Amp as its only 14w output to the speakers...

Any input on the next steps appreciated..

Merry Christmas...

Last edited by SVS; 12/25/14 at 09:16 AM.
Old 12/30/14, 11:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Santa was good to me too!
http://imgur.com/FPDm44A

As far as the dash kit goes I got this one:http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142FD14...1441B&skipvs=T

You can get it on amazon for 225. I think out of all the options, it looks the best.

Waiting for it to come. Once I get it installed I will post some pics and thoughts.

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 12/30/14 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12/31/14, 09:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SVS
I have A 2011 GT with the base stock Stereo. Added a nice Corner Box in the trunk to house a 12" Polk Audio Sub and Rocford fosgate 500Watt mono D amp to power it. Changed out the Speakers to Pioneer TS A68855R 6x9's that can handle 350Watts (max). Next step is an AMP for the 4 speakers and keep the stock head unit and/or switch out the head unit? When the stock radio is pulled does this change the HVAC controls? Which I'm pretty sure it does as it's integrated into the center console. I don't want the HVAC controls above the Radio and aftermarket ***** and buttons. Part of me would rather live with the limitations of the stock radio in order to keep the HVAC control system from being changed out...

Who's done this and any advice and pictures is appreciated. Considering my options for what to do next....

What subwoofer box are you using? I will be installing an amp and a subwoofer next spring. I have bought a JL amp and the Audio Control LC2i already. Is the box bolted to the floor or just laying down on the carpet? Thanks.