Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Accidents due to the 6-speed MT reverse gear not engaging.

Search this Thread

Old 5/2/13, 12:33 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the dash simply doesn't need more lights on it..
Old 5/2/13, 12:43 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My rear view camera kicks in when I put it into reverse, so I've never really had much of a problem.

I love that camera so much.
Old 5/2/13, 01:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
One time when I was backing out in a hurry I thought I went from R to 1st, but actually went back into R. Luckily I noticed as soon as the car started rolling. Learned that you just can't rush between 1st and R.

I do still like the placement of R compared to other 6 speeds.
Old 5/2/13, 01:41 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
Second manual you have owned.....learn your car.

Hard to push down....really.....my wife has no issues with numerous pain issues based on arthritis.

Nothing is traditional as far as reverse position unless it is an automatic. Check out more than two vehicles.

A little hint....keep the brakes applied as you ease the clutch out..once you feel the car moving in the desired direction.....release the brake pedal and continue normal application of gas and clutch.

To bad drivers ed is not still a requirement......
**** dude, you're hard.
Old 5/2/13, 02:29 PM
GT Member

Dhawk1313- Haha, yeah, Pete is a cranky old leather neck I suppose. You would have thought I smashed his car instead of mine. He is more mad about it than me. I meant it as a light hearted topic and Pete is about to have his 3rd heart attack this year over it. Hey Pete, chill out my friend.
Old 5/2/13, 02:32 PM
GT Member

By the way Pete, driving manual is not apart of any driving school or test. Maybe in 1912 when you were 16. I think the stat is like only 6% of the cars in America are MT.
Old 5/2/13, 02:41 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by wilson68944
By the way Pete, driving manual is not apart of any driving school or test. Maybe in 1912 when you were 16. I think the stat is like only 6% of the cars in America are MT.
That's because young people in America are a bunch of pussies nowadays.
Old 5/2/13, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown

That's because young people in America are a bunch of pussies nowadays.
That's not what your mom said ooooooooooooooo lol
Old 5/2/13, 03:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess the real question is -

If not there, where would you want reverse to be?

You really can't blame the transmission or reverse position for you not finding it and being careful to make sure that it is engaged in reverse before you roll very far. I'm sorry, but operator error is not the transmissions fault.
Old 5/2/13, 03:55 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AzPete
Second manual you have owned.....learn your car.

Hard to push down....really.....my wife has no issues with numerous pain issues based on arthritis.

Nothing is traditional as far as reverse position unless it is an automatic. Check out more than two vehicles.

A little hint....keep the brakes applied as you ease the clutch out..once you feel the car moving in the desired direction.....release the brake pedal and continue normal application of gas and clutch.

To bad drivers ed is not still a requirement......
You have issues, and they aren't with reverse obviously.

Last edited by UnrealFord; 5/2/13 at 07:10 PM.
Old 5/2/13, 04:12 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dang....guess a guy cannot suggest things around here. Same points were posted by numerous others....and I do feel drivers ed would be helpful in today's world. Manual or automatic, it was taught to be easy on the brakes and gas to be sure the car was going in the direction you intended it to go.

Got the license in 1966, never lost it....not perfect by along shot but at least I don't name call.

Well....at least you removed the name calling...and I have no issues...you are the one with the negative comments....

Last edited by AzPete; 5/2/13 at 04:39 PM.
Old 5/2/13, 04:31 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by dmhines
I like it there .. my Jeep Wranger has Reverse right next to 6th ... I've accidently grinded it many times.
Really? How old is your Jeep? The last two I've had both had lockouts for reverse when moving forward.
Old 5/2/13, 04:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
I would love if America took a more European approach to drivers ed... when I lived in Norway, it was $5k+ to go through drivers ed (mandatory for everyone who wanted to drive) and then another couple $k for your drivers test. All on manual cars. Extensive schooling - guess how often accidents happened....

I've often thought about starting a manual car drivers ed here - it's a skill that very few people have and most people should know in my opinion. If nothing else, it might convert a few people who have never experienced a connection with a car that a manual tranny gives!
Old 5/2/13, 04:41 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by dmichaels
I would love if America took a more European approach to drivers ed... when I lived in Norway, it was $5k+ to go through drivers ed (mandatory for everyone who wanted to drive) and then another couple $k for your drivers test. All on manual cars. Extensive schooling - guess how often accidents happened....

I've often thought about starting a manual car drivers ed here - it's a skill that very few people have and most people should know in my opinion. If nothing else, it might convert a few people who have never experienced a connection with a car that a manual tranny gives!
Finland has one hell of a test for those who wish to drive. I'd love to see those standards enacted here. Insurance wouldn't have any reason to have prices so high, accidents would drop considerably, traffic would be far lighter all because driving would be done by those who actually know how to operate more than the key and the gas. Americans suck rhino ***** when it comes to being able to drive, and the younger they are, the more oblivious they are.

The '13 Shelby has R on the upper right, as far away from 1st as it can be. Guess they don't want people accidentally driving their Shelbys through the garage into the kitchen instead of out the garage.

Last edited by kcoTiger; 5/2/13 at 04:45 PM.
Old 5/2/13, 05:03 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by kcoTiger

Finland has one hell of a test for those who wish to drive. I'd love to see those standards enacted here.
That would be considered racist. We cannot impede minorities from driving. Though in fact it would be racist not to because driving should be based upon ability and learning which is not race specific.

Hell we can't even make them use drivers licenses to vote.
Old 5/2/13, 05:07 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
That would be considered racist. We cannot impede minorities from driving. Though in fact it would be racist not to because driving should be based upon ability and learning which is not race specific.

Hell we can't even make them use drivers licenses to vote.
I wish I could laugh at this, but there's too much truth to it.
Old 5/2/13, 05:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Odd, R on my 2013 is all the way up & to the right. Where 7th gear would be.
Old 5/2/13, 06:27 PM
GT Member

AzPete - No hard feelings Pete. I know it's my fault not the transmissions. I just thought it was a funny story. I know I was the one at fault. A lot of guys have a hard time admitting they did something wrong like if they don't drive stick perfect they're less of a man. I make mistakes all day long. Miss gears, up shift to soon and so on...
Old 5/2/13, 06:39 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,232 Posts
No problem with my reverse or putting it into reverse.
Works like butta. Good luck!
Old 5/2/13, 07:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Like I said in my very first post. I have a MGW shifter and used all springs my reverse takes some good effort to push down for reverse, I can't remember how it was stock. My shoulders are in pain all the time from work and the increased tension pushing down is sometimes actually painful.

Quick Reply: Accidents due to the 6-speed MT reverse gear not engaging.