Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

ABS/Advanced Trac/Traction Control tried to kill me

Search this Thread

Old 11/20/13, 08:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS/Advanced Trac/Traction Control tried to kill me

Yesterday as I was pulling out of a parking lot my traction control light came on and my brakes started pumping themselves. I pulled over and casually took off again until it seemed fine. A few seconds later I was merging on the highway at 60mph and it started locking up again. The brakes were pumping themselves hard and it felt like it was happening to the right side of the car. I pulled over and checked around the car, everything was normal. I turned the car off/on and it hasn't happened since.

Anyone else had this happen?
Old 11/20/13, 09:27 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Sounds like a trip to the dealer is in order.
Old 11/20/13, 09:36 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some issue in the abs computer or pump, the dealer can read the code and fix it.
Old 11/20/13, 10:21 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rando
Yesterday as I was pulling out of a parking lot my traction control light came on and my brakes started pumping themselves. I pulled over and casually took off again until it seemed fine. A few seconds later I was merging on the highway at 60mph and it started locking up again. The brakes were pumping themselves hard and it felt like it was happening to the right side of the car. I pulled over and checked around the car, everything was normal. I turned the car off/on and it hasn't happened since. Anyone else had this happen?
Had similar issues when I first got my car and it seemed to only happen when the motor was still cold. Happened 2-3 times leaving work but none since(crosses fingers). I took it to the dealer shortly after but of course everything was "great". Hope you get it figured out man!
Old 11/20/13, 10:44 AM
Bullitt Member

https://themustangsource.com/f726/he...ration-526308/

Check this thread out... Towards the end. Seems like a common problem but doesn't throw any codes.
Old 11/20/13, 05:05 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check out this thread;
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...-recorder.html

Seems to be not so common problem with the later Mustangs, V6 & GT's.
Most do not leave any codes & are hard to duplicate. Replacing the ABS module seems to be the cure.
I had a similar issue with my '12, but only happened once late last year & never since. Little over 13K on mine, not my DD.
Old 11/20/13, 07:07 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Perhaps you have an intermittent sensor issue which causes mis-activation of ABS/TCS/VDC. Trip to the dealer is best way to look into it. These systems are intricate and have many sensors. If you keyed up with a steering wheel in a non-center position for example, and drove off fast you could have a mis-learned center. Ford uses a Class 1 steering angle sensor on these cars, so every time you key up it has to learn the center. If it mislearns, it could think you're under or over steering, and the stability control activates. Wheel speed sensors errors can cause it to think you're slipping the wheels as well, which causes ABS/TCS to activate...
Old 11/21/13, 09:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Get a hold of Deysha and make an appointment with your dealer.
Old 11/22/13, 07:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
^^ This..

And when you take it to the dealer, ask if they have some way to test the ABS Control Module separately rather than looking for an ECU code, and also check the connections to the ABS Control Module.

You're not alone. Several people have had the same problem. It's rare, it's random, and it's hard to get fixed, but definitely contact Deysha and keep at it. Don't just accept the answer that they can't reproduce it so they can't do anything about it.

Last edited by Moustang; 11/22/13 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11/22/13, 07:45 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Rando
Yesterday as I was pulling out of a parking lot my traction control light came on and my brakes started pumping themselves. I pulled over and casually took off again until it seemed fine. A few seconds later I was merging on the highway at 60mph and it started locking up again. The brakes were pumping themselves hard and it felt like it was happening to the right side of the car. I pulled over and checked around the car, everything was normal. I turned the car off/on and it hasn't happened since.

Anyone else had this happen?
Originally Posted by PaxtonShelby
Originally Posted by Moustang
^^ This..
And when you take it to the dealer, ask if they have some way to test the ABS Control Module separately rather than looking for an ECU code, and also check the connections to the ABS Control Module.

You're not alone. Several people have had the same problem. It's rare, it's random, and it's hard to get fixed, but definitely contact Deysha and keep at it. Don't just accept the answer that they can't reproduce it so they can't do anything about it.
Hey Rando,

As these awesome people mentioned, make an appointment with your dealer and PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I’ll get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha