2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

About to pull the trigger on a 2013 Mustang and need negotiating advice

Search this Thread

Old 3/25/12, 01:10 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
FYI, the Edmunds invoice price doesn't include all the dealers expense. I just found this out last weekend. With a lot of help from a forum member here "05fordgt (Jeff)." He explained the difference which includes advertising, and fuel charges, and that everyone pays this. For example with Mustang GT we ordered, Edmunds shows $40,015 as the invoice. With the other stuff included the invoice was actually $40,707, which is what my dealer quoted. Needless to say I orderd the car. Not all negotiations go this easily. If your buying for the first time don't go in emotionally attached. Be prepared with all the info you can, good saleaman can smell a sucker from a mile away. And as it has been said, it doesn't matter how much you like this owner, be prepared to walk. He may not care how much you like him. By all means take your time, it ain't no race.

Also, my dealer says the car should be delivered in 6 to 8 weeks. But I know that is just a guess. I'm sure it will be at least 6 weeks, but wouldn't bet on the 8. Good luck.

OMG. I just looked at this guys web site. De-am..........Whatever you do, don't buy your car from this guy. The way he is pricing he won't be in business in six months. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE, please.

Last edited by wanted33; 3/25/12 at 01:15 PM. Reason: I looked at the web site
Old 3/25/12, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cinque35
Just sent Bruce Willis to negotiate..

A lesson on Negotiation by Mr Dallas - YouTube
love that movie

Originally Posted by eicht
If they wont sell you a car for invoice plus TTL walk away. Hundreds of dealers around.
Getting hung up on the TTL, that's time to live for me (woo networking). What does it mean in this case?

Originally Posted by Kabooka
To the OP, I would print out the pricing info from the PDFs right here on TMS, add up what you want, then go from there. Then you can easily see what kind of deal you are getting.
Yeah, all those numbers up in my first post is from the pricing guide.

I'll be going in asking for invoice and going from there. It's not like they have these cars lying around on their lots. I like the idea of cutting him a check if he gets me the invoice +1% or so, even if it does sound fishy!
Old 3/25/12, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by wanted33
FYI, the Edmunds invoice price doesn't include all the dealers expense. I just found this out last weekend. With a lot of help from a forum member here "05fordgt (Jeff)." He explained the difference which includes advertising, and fuel charges, and that everyone pays this. For example with Mustang GT we ordered, Edmunds shows $40,015 as the invoice. With the other stuff included the invoice was actually $40,707, which is what my dealer quoted. Needless to say I orderd the car. Not all negotiations go this easily. If your buying for the first time don't go in emotionally attached. Be prepared with all the info you can, good saleaman can smell a sucker from a mile away. And as it has been said, it doesn't matter how much you like this owner, be prepared to walk. He may not care how much you like him. By all means take your time, it ain't no race.

Also, my dealer says the car should be delivered in 6 to 8 weeks. But I know that is just a guess. I'm sure it will be at least 6 weeks, but wouldn't bet on the 8. Good luck.

OMG. I just looked at this guys web site. De-am..........Whatever you do, don't buy your car from this guy. The way he is pricing he won't be in business in six months. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE, please.
The guy I was dealing with was his first day there when I first took my test drives. So it's still in his first week there. The company has been in business around the area for quite a long time. I think it's there to open up more negotiation room, but I'll let him know I'm willing to drive a considerable distance to save big $$$
Old 3/25/12, 01:29 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wanted33
Also, my dealer says the car should be delivered in 6 to 8 weeks. But I know that is just a guess. I'm sure it will be at least 6 weeks, but wouldn't bet on the 8.

I remember when my dealer told me that when I ordered my 2011 500 and it finally showed up at the dealership 16 weeks later. LOL
Old 3/25/12, 01:58 PM
Cobra R Member

Yeah 6-8 weeks is just a guesstimate. Find out your dealers allocation. That determines where in the line your order jumps in.

For example: X dealership who sells 3 mustangs a year places order on 3/25. Y dealership who sells 200 mustangs a year places an order in 4/15. Y dealership's order can actually be taken before yours and built first. This was explained to me from numerous ford people and guys on this forum when I was buying mine
Old 3/25/12, 02:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

You guys need to stop focusing so much on the vehicle price alone, the real money saver or deal breaker is the financing. Working on the price a little is smart, but digging them for every dollar may make them unwilling to work with you in financing, gigging you for every add-on they can.

For instance, would you rather have a 33k car with 11.9% financing at 60mo for $43944 total, $732 payment, or a 40k car with 1.9% financing at 60mo for $41961, $699 payment?

If you're going to try and take a dealer over the coals for the best price to you, I suggest you have outside financing lined up to guarantee you can get the best of both worlds, and keep the outside financing thing under your hat until you're hat until deal time.
Old 3/25/12, 02:01 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Sirius
The guy I was dealing with was his first day there when I first took my test drives. So it's still in his first week there. The company has been in business around the area for quite a long time. I think it's there to open up more negotiation room, but I'll let him know I'm willing to drive a considerable distance to save big $$$
I will share my experience, I read up on the forums and heard about X-plan pricing and signed up to get it. I mentioned it to my dealer and everything changed. Price negotiations, everything. Once they had an inclination I knew what was up it went from salesmanship to what can I do to get your order here. Find out what they offer again, bring it here, share it, find out whats fair and go from there.
Old 3/25/12, 02:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kn7671
You guys need to stop focusing so much on the vehicle price alone, the real money saver or deal breaker is the financing. Working on the price a little is smart, but digging them for every dollar may make them unwilling to work with you in financing, gigging you for every add-on they can.

For instance, would you rather have a 33k car with 11.9% financing at 60mo for $43944 total, $732 payment, or a 40k car with 1.9% financing at 60mo for $41961, $699 payment?

If you're going to try and take a dealer over the coals for the best price to you, I suggest you have outside financing lined up to guarantee you can get the best of both worlds, and keep the outside financing thing under your hat until you're hat until deal time.
12% are you buying a car with a credit card? LOL
Old 3/25/12, 02:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
12% are you buying a car with a credit card? LOL
Hell no, 1.9% was my last deal, but those with questionable, blemished, or little credit, will get raped in the finance dept, sometimes getting rates into the high teens.

Just saying... Be smart playing the game, the price alone is not the only thing to consider.
Old 3/25/12, 02:14 PM
Banned

Hell no, 1.9% was my last deal, but those with questionable, blemished, or little credit, will get raped in the finance dept, sometimes getting rates into the high teens.
I would say those people shouldn't be buying 35k+ vehicles.
Old 3/25/12, 02:25 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 390 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Yeah 6-8 weeks is just a guesstimate. Find out your dealers allocation. That determines where in the line your order jumps in.

For example: X dealership who sells 3 mustangs a year places order on 3/25. Y dealership who sells 200 mustangs a year places an order in 4/15. Y dealership's order can actually be taken before yours and built first. This was explained to me from numerous ford people and guys on this forum when I was buying mine
That makes sense. The dealer I buy from isn't a volumn dealer by a long shot. Although he did get the Wifey's '10 GT in 8 weeks, it was ordered latter in the production year. My guess is this one won't make it in 8, but more like 10 if we're lucky. Here's hoping the incentives will rise a little, so if my $750 coupon expires it won't be such a hard hit.

sirius, I kinda understand marketing, but pricing a $23,000 car at $36,000 then telling you he will discount the car $12,000 still puts a person $1000 behind. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Be very careful with these guys.
Old 3/25/12, 07:24 PM

UPDATE: I went in today to talk price. I worked him down from MSRP+5k to right around 5% over invoice. 36,700ish out the door (incl taxes, fees, Oil changes till 10k mi, and all season spare tires). I'm essentially getting the car at the Edmunds.com true market value.

We haven't finalized anything yet, have to go in tomorrow to talk with the new car ordering guy to place the order. Getting it in Deep Impact blue ^_^ excited!
Old 3/25/12, 09:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

UPDATE: I went in today to talk price. I worked him down from MSRP+5k to right around 5% over invoice. 36,700ish out the door (incl taxes, fees, Oil changes till 10k mi, and all season spare tires). I'm essentially getting the car at the Edmunds.com true market value.

We haven't finalized anything yet, have to go in tomorrow to talk with the new car ordering guy to place the order. Getting it in Deep Impact blue ^_^ excited!
What state you live in?
Old 3/25/12, 09:29 PM
V6 Member

TTL= tax, title, license
Old 3/25/12, 09:31 PM

What state you live in?
Washington

Originally Posted by eicht
TTL= tax, title, license
Thanks!
Old 3/26/12, 08:25 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zathu

Make sure you've signed up for the brochure by mail to potentially save another $750 at delivery with a private rebate. If you're student or military, don't forget about the $500 there.
Both rebates CANNOT be used together!! Its one or the other per the VINCENT program at work!!
Old 3/26/12, 08:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt

Both rebates CANNOT be used together!! Its one or the other per the VINCENT program at work!!
What about the $750 private cash coupon and the $500 incentive on the 13s. They can be used together right?
Old 3/26/12, 08:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Washington

Thanks!
There is a salesman on the forum fiveOhbrian who i believe is in the washington state area. you might want to look him up hes on here very often, because as fellow stang enthusiast he will be able to help you out. he does alot for ppl on the forum answering questions and such i think several have bought from him. dont want to speak for him.
Old 3/26/12, 09:00 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ThrustangFiveO
What about the $750 private cash coupon and the $500 incentive on the 13s. They can be used together right?
Yes the rebate and the coupon can, but the military/student discount cannot.
Old 3/26/12, 11:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Invoice or a little over. I got my price by calling, emailing & visiting dealers, saying 'this one has it for $X' and other tactics. You're the buyer - When I gave up for awhile, the prices suddenly dropped!!! Go figure!

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger on a 2013 Mustang and need negotiating advice