Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

#8 failure on unmodded cars?

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/11, 02:25 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
#8 failure on unmodded cars?

Has there been a significant issue with #8 failure on unmodded cars???

I am running Steeda Tune. Great tune, great performance. But, I am considering returning it to stock and hopping that if there is failure, it wouldn't be for thousands of miles reducing the case Ford could make for the tune being responsible.

That said, I would miss the extra hp. Then again, I've got 20k miles on it now. Only have another 16k miles of warranty anyway.
Old 8/1/11, 02:33 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe the powertrain warranty goes up to 5yrs. 3yrs is just bumper to bumper IIRC
Old 8/1/11, 02:56 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
I believe the powertrain warranty goes up to 5yrs. 3yrs is just bumper to bumper IIRC
Correct. Powertrain is 5/60k and BTB is 3/36k.
Old 8/1/11, 03:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eric n

I am running Steeda Tune. Great tune, great performance. But, I am considering returning it to stock and hopping that if there is failure, it wouldn't be for thousands of miles reducing the case Ford could make for the tune being responsible.

That said, I would miss the extra hp. Then again, I've got 20k miles on it now. Only have another 16k miles of warranty anyway.
I think you are out of luck regardless. It was stated that Ford can tell if you flashed the computer...We all know about the TSB...Just hope nothing happens.
Old 8/1/11, 04:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dude don't switch your car back. It's great, youve had no problems with it and you love it. Please don't fall into the trap of being scared of these things. These really are isolated occurrences.
Old 8/1/11, 04:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Are the cars with #8 cylinder failures mostly 2011's or 12's?
Old 8/1/11, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

No, there has not been a problem with the #8 on unmodded cars. Some say there are rumors, but I'm sure if a unmodded 5.0 blew the #8, you would be hearing about it on every forum.
Old 8/1/11, 05:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eric n

If you've gone 20k with the steeda tune and not had an issue then I doubt you will have an issue any time soon. At this rate by the time she does have problems you'll be looking at building the motor anyway lol.
Old 8/1/11, 05:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have heard but have yet to see a real stock 5.0 blow the #8, there is alot of "my mechanic said..." and "my friend who worked for ford 15 years ago" but no proof.
Old 8/1/11, 05:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Sure would suck if you switched back to stock and blew your #8... That's how my luck comes. I haven't heard of any problems with the steeda tune yet though...
Old 8/1/11, 05:26 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mystickeith50
Dude don't switch your car back. It's great, youve had no problems with it and you love it. Please don't fall into the trap of being scared of these things. These really are isolated occurrences.
My guess is ultimately Ford is going to get a class action on their hands if this problem isn't just isolated occurances and they refuse to assist owners that have tunes. Tune or no tune, their little TSB isn't worth the paper it is written on if owners have the time and patience to take the "one call that's all" route. A 30-40 hp tune isnt going to cause a failure on the same piston in every car. Makes no sense and will ultimately be proven in the court of law.

STEEDA TUNE HERE . mark it down Ford
Old 8/1/11, 07:27 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Originally Posted by 2012GT
My guess is ultimately Ford is going to get a class action on their hands if this problem isn't just isolated occurances and they refuse to assist owners that have tunes. Tune or no tune, their little TSB isn't worth the paper it is written on if owners have the time and patience to take the "one call that's all" route. A 30-40 hp tune isnt going to cause a failure on the same piston in every car. Makes no sense and will ultimately be proven in the court of law.

STEEDA TUNE HERE . mark it down Ford
Why would Ford have litigation on their hands? There haven't been any proven failures in any as-delivered-from-Ford 5.0's. It's only Ford's job to provide a 412-horsepower car -- and their cals allow for just that.
Old 8/1/11, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Don't do it Eric lol
that Steeda tune is conservative and safe and I would not worry about #8
I think you have the perfect mods for a quick DD and you can return to stock very easy.

not related but how ya liking that Barton shifter and bracket ? I might get one myself
Old 8/1/11, 08:35 PM
Team Mustang Source

Has anyone ran the "less agressive" 93 tune from Steeda ! Just asking cuz i have driven the car a few hundred miles with it since Gus sent it to me and have found the car to be less responsive. It's like it's back to stock parameters. I might ask him to send me back the original 93 tune since i have erased it with this new one. Just want to point out that Gus is very cooperative and helpful when it comes to helping out customers.
Old 8/1/11, 08:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't care what anyone says, there ate other underlying issues that are causing these problems. Whether it be bad gas or wrong octane etc... I was talking with my brother in law who has a degree in petroleum study and right away he said the issue probably goes right back to the type of fuel being used if it truly is a detonation issue. If the problem is from a piston squirter issue then it's not on the tune/owner to begin with.
I also would be willing to bet this issue has arose on stock cars but we havent heard of it on here because contrary to what most think the majority of owners do NOT mod their cars. I know it may not seem that way because we are all on here and most are modded but others just buy their cars and drive them.. What a concept right??