Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

#8 cylinder and mt82

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/12, 03:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by bh6247
Hi, I originally started the thread. I am a new user but do not have aliases under which I post. I am not bashing mustangs and as a matter of fact have a 12 race red standard GT on order. I placed the oreder on Jan. 5. However, a week after placing the order I saw the exact same car as being in the new inventory on my dealer's web site. The car is listed there but is not in stock. The sticker would indicate that car was made in May 11. I have not spoke to the dealer but am wondering if he just found another car rather than ordering. In the end it makes little difference to me. Again, I was just wondering if issues mentioned in the forums were addressed during the production cycle. Clearly from the first response, #8 cylinder is a result of aftermarket tuning. Fine. However, the mt82 is enough of a problem to warrant a tsb. I was just asking people's opinions if was better to have a car produced after a certain date.
Just because something has a TSB, doesn't mean it's a major issue. A TSB is *not* a recall. A TSB just means that they are aware of it, and know how to go about fixing it.

If they have the car you want already in stock, then I say go for it. If you end up having cold shift issues, then just go back and mention the TSB. That's what a warranty is for.
Old 1/14/12, 05:52 PM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
exactly
Old 1/14/12, 06:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by stupidgenius36

If you end up having cold shift issues, then just go back and mention the TSB. That's what a warranty is for.

That may be a lot harder than you think. I had the cold shifting issues in my 12 model with a manufacturing date of September 9. According to the TSB, my car was excluded because of the date of manufacture. It was a massive undertaking for me to convince the dealership to switch the fluid anyways since Ford wouldn't reemburse them for the work.

Switching the fluid did fix the problem though.
Old 1/14/12, 06:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I see the 5.0 #8 cylinder was an issue but from my understanding, that problem has been corrected by American Musscle and no more issues with the # 8. Also I have an 11 v6 and have a bama sct tuner from American Musscle. Very pleased with it. I have never heard of any issues with a tune for the 11 stang v6 just the V8 model. Anyone heard of any issues the v6 models were having with the tune?
Old 1/14/12, 07:27 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Moustang
That may be a lot harder than you think. I had the cold shifting issues in my 12 model with a manufacturing date of September 9. According to the TSB, my car was excluded because of the date of manufacture. It was a massive undertaking for me to convince the dealership to switch the fluid anyways since Ford wouldn't reemburse them for the work.

thats just because the dealer you used was being a pain
Old 1/14/12, 09:49 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Can someone tell me who John Matero is?
Old 1/14/12, 11:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
He had an '11 or '12 with an MT82 that supposedly went bad after only 4000 miles. Ford replaced it and he killed that one too. I think the general consensus was that he either couldn't drive a manual properly or that he was deliberately destroying the transmissions. He started spamming every Mustang forum around about how the MT82 was garbage and Ford was evil. I think his goal was to get Ford to give him a TR6060 which obviously was never going to happen. Before it was all said and done he ended up getting enough idiots to complain to the government and they did an investigation. End result being that there was a very small percentage of cars that had to be fixed, which Ford was already taking care of, but that the majority of the complaints were simply driver error. Ford told Matero to pound sand(after doing everything they could to help him) and he got banned from every respectable Mustang forum.

I think that's it in a nutshell. If i got anything wrong I'm sure it will be pointed out shortly.
Old 1/14/12, 11:13 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds about right.
Old 1/14/12, 11:15 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Thomas S for TMS historian.
Old 1/14/12, 11:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Moustang

I replied to your other thread, and I think a lot of your problem was the dealership that you went to.
Originally Posted by Thomas S
He had an '11 or '12 with an MT82 that supposedly went bad after only 4000 miles. Ford replaced it and he killed that one too. I think the general consensus was that he either couldn't drive a manual properly or that he was deliberately destroying the transmissions. He started spamming every Mustang forum around about how the MT82 was garbage and Ford was evil. I think his goal was to get Ford to give him a TR6060 which obviously was never going to happen. Before it was all said and done he ended up getting enough idiots to complain to the government and they did an investigation. End result being that there was a very small percentage of cars that had to be fixed, which Ford was already taking care of, but that the majority of the complaints were simply driver error. Ford told Matero to pound sand(after doing everything they could to help him) and he got banned from every respectable Mustang forum.

I think that's it in a nutshell. If i got anything wrong I'm sure it will be pointed out shortly.
He pretty much summed it up. "jmatero" spammed every reputable mustang forum, until no one gave a **** about any transmission issues anymore. He single handedly caused everyone to stop giving a **** about the mt82 transmission. Which is why some people were thinking "this thread should be interesting...". By that, they meant "3 people are gonna start *****ing about shifting problems, and their ignorance is gonna get the thread locked."

Again, he pretty much summed it up.
Old 1/14/12, 11:31 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The name that shall not be mentioned.
Old 1/14/12, 11:53 PM
V6 Member

My 07 GT had manual transmission problems repaired under warranty. Grinding and failure to find 3rd. Those more knowledgeable pointed out the problem and I forget what exactly it was, but the dealer fixed it and everything was cool. My first Stang was a bondo buggy that my bro helped me destroy. I forget, but it was a early 80's or late 70's hatch with a four banger. My secocond was a mid 80's GLX. 5.0 HO engine, much fun until I had to have the rear end replaced. 2000 GT was fun until another fat a$$ was in there beside me and it bogged down some. 07 Vert GT, white with red interior, beatiful but slow realitive to the 00 and mid 90's hardtop at least off the line. Going for number 5. Want very much for the burnouts associated with the mid 80's 5.0.
Old 1/15/12, 12:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Today was the first real time I've had bad issues shifting. But she also sat outside at the dealership until the weather got better for the last 3 days. Highs in the 20's. Even after letting her warm up for 20 minutes my 6 mile drive home was a fight getting into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I'm running MTL so that probably didn't help any either..
Old 1/15/12, 12:41 AM
V6 Member

Forgive but what is mtl?
Old 1/15/12, 12:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by bh6247
Forgive but what is mtl?
Redline MTL is the trans fluid a lot of us switched to which helped smooth out the shifting in the MT82. It works great in the summer but I noticed today with a high of 19 degrees it's probably not the best.

My cars not driven much in the winter but I needed some warranty work done so I had no choice. There's a few write ups about it on here in the 2011+ section.
Old 1/15/12, 01:10 AM
V6 Member

thank you
Old 1/15/12, 01:11 AM
V6 Member

I got lubed on glb. Great lakes Brewery!
Old 1/15/12, 06:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas S

Most excellent post.
Old 1/15/12, 06:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh please lock this one too.....
Old 1/15/12, 07:17 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here ya' go, let me know when you're finished !!!!

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ng-thread.html

Quick Reply: #8 cylinder and mt82