Sponsored By:

5.0s bad traction?

Search this Thread

Old 4/10/11, 07:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
And your point is?

All we are saying (or at least all I'm saying) is that the cars are under-tired. It's common sense that we modulate throttle on our own for maximum possible traction... but if we actually had some tire under the car it'd be a whole lot better!
I'm just saying that the operation of the car falls on the user, I bet I know a guy who can drive a 700hp mustang around a track on stock tires without going sideways, why do you think it's possible that he can do that?

I do agree it does need more tire if you want to push it to the limits on a track but if you are driving on the street what exactly are you trying to do that you keep losing traction, I would take a 2nd and 3rd look at the driver trying to go all fast and furious on the street.

in closing I was responding to the OP's simple but complicated question.
"Does the 5.0 have bad traction?", no the driver does.

Last edited by fdjizm; 4/10/11 at 07:21 AM.
Old 4/10/11, 07:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by montreal ponies
How much for this POS ! Don't forget to include the followings as well :

- starter over run
-notchy shifter
-under hood " tick"
-flywheel bolts backing out
-wrong tranny fluid
-bad synchros
-rear end whining
-orange peel in the paint
-vibration at 100 mph +

Good luck with the sale !
That's why it's going on Craigslist. Hopefully, someone has only looked at Ford ads and read the car 'journalists' glowing PR blurbs in the magazines. If a potential buyer has ever been on a forum....I'm screwed.
Old 4/10/11, 07:36 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fdjizm
I'm just saying that the operation of the car falls on the user, I bet I know a guy who can drive a 700hp mustang around a track on stock tires without going sideways, why do you think it's possible that he can do that?

I do agree it does need more tire if you want to push it to the limits on a track but if you are driving on the street what exactly are you trying to do that you keep losing traction, I would take a 2nd and 3rd look at the driver trying to go all fast and furious on the street.

in closing I was responding to the OP's simple but complicated question.
"Does the 5.0 have bad traction?", no the driver does.
My only gripe is that relative to other performance cars in it's class, the Mustang has almost always been very under-tired. It would have been nice for Ford to give us a little bit more...

But, it's really no big deal in the end. There are a plethora of wheel and tire options out there if we find that the stock 245s or 255s leave us wanting.
Old 4/10/11, 07:49 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by dragstart
That's why it's going on Craigslist. Hopefully, someone has only looked at Ford ads and read the car 'journalists' glowing PR blurbs in the magazines. If a potential buyer has ever been on a forum....I'm screwed.
Not that i'm really having all of these issues, actually very happy with MY car, but you should just lower the car, get some good tires and call it a day. Just my 2 cents.
Old 4/10/11, 09:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Not that i'm really having all of these issues, actually very happy with MY car, but you should just lower the car, get some good tires and call it a day. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, then all I'd need is an engine block and a set of pistons..........good to go!
Old 4/10/11, 09:09 AM
Cobra R Member

You know what warranties are for right?
Old 4/10/11, 10:25 AM
Bullitt Member

I know what they're SUPPOSED to be for. That doesn't mean that Ford isn't going to try to blow this off.

In fact, if they would say, "Yeah, these engines should not be rattling like that and we are going to fix them. We will make the brand new car you bought for $34,000 right, because it's the right thing to do"..........I would have a totally different attitude.
Old 4/10/11, 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I know what they're SUPPOSED to be for. That doesn't mean that Ford isn't going to try to blow this off.

In fact, if they would say, "Yeah, these engines should not be rattling like that and we are going to fix them. We will make the brand new car you bought for $34,000 right, because it's the right thing to do"..........I would have a totally different attitude.
Did they ever say they should be rattling?? I dont have any of your issues. Did you go through customer service?
Old 4/10/11, 01:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Yeah, then all I'd need is an engine block and a set of pistons..........good to go!
Sorry to hear you are having such an issue/so many issues. IIRC, you & I "jumped into the 5.0 pool" at about the same time, and I always valued your opinions regarding aftermarket stuff. Except for that infant mortality air bag module issue, I've had very little trouble with my car, despite an early (April 13th 2010) build date. I hope your experience with your next car is better. Any idea what it'll be yet? Or were you just pulling our leg and I am clueless?
Old 4/10/11, 01:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Did FORD tell you that or a did your dealers mechanic tell you that?
big difference in the two.
Old 4/10/11, 02:23 PM
GTR Member

The only wheel hop I've noticed is when the Pirellis are cold. Then its very easy to feel the back end chatter.

Dragstart, the part I don't understand is your attitude towards the warranty. I don't know what avenues you've taken to try and get your motor fixed, but it seems like you haven't fully explored it yet. Contact FCS, get them involved, and don't stop until it's resolved. Seems pretty simple to me. If your dealer isn't doing their job, report them and find someone who will.

Last edited by Overboost; 4/10/11 at 02:32 PM.
Old 4/10/11, 04:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Have you tried contacting Deisha from FCS. She will be able to escalate your case with Ford and dealership .
Check back tomorrow as she will probably be reading this thread and dropping you a line.
Old 4/10/11, 04:09 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Like Ford backing the clutch in a gen 1 GT500
Old 4/10/11, 09:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Have you tried contacting Deisha from FCS. She will be able to escalate your case with Ford and dealership .
Check back tomorrow as she will probably be reading this thread and dropping you a line.
Yeah, Deisha 'escalated' my case to the CS people in Florida. Who know less about these cars than any of us. Remember......they were the ones reading scripts when we were trying to find out where our cars were when we had them on order? "Oh A Mustang GT, yeaah those are really cool, 412 horsepower. What color? (insert whaterver color) Oh yeah, that's the coolest color. (whatever it was). Your car's at area 51. That dung got irritating.

The advice of the Florida CS?......take it to the dealer.
Dealer tech says, "Yeah, I hear that noise."
Later.......OK, your oil is changed, we don't have time to diagnose that noise!

So we gotta hold their hands through this? BS.
Old 4/10/11, 10:22 PM
Bullitt Member

In response to the original question, the mustang has great traction that will only get better with mods.

I am sorry that you are having troubles, but you either are a nut or have unusually bad luck. Either way, there still is no better car for the money. Some people will always get the bad apple. I might still be waiting on mine, but I do research fairly well when I have the time. If you see a better car show us, but until then realize that most mustang owners will have good cars. Enough of the ragging on mustangs. Go visit a Camaro forum if you want to do that.
Old 4/11/11, 04:51 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by bob
Like Ford backing the clutch in a gen 1 GT500
You mean after it's modified and raced or before? lol
Old 4/11/11, 09:17 AM
V6 Member

412 HP + the agressive gearing of 3.73s makes 245 wide tires insufficient. 275's should have been the stock option on this car.
Old 4/11/11, 12:58 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by eas9898
412 HP + the agressive gearing of 3.73s makes 245 wide tires insufficient. 275's should have been the stock option on this car.
If the Brembo pack came with 275s I'd be a happy camper! On a 19x9.5" rim. Then I could upgrade to 285 RE-11s all around no problem...
Old 4/11/11, 03:22 PM
Bullitt Member

You can add 275's as an option for about 600-750... Just have the inconvenience of having to drive from the dealer to the tire shop. On the bright side, you can save your 255's for the front. So you really won't be out much extra cash after they give up the ghost around 10-15k.
Old 4/12/11, 08:56 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
You mean after it's modified and raced or before? lol
No like pretty much stock unless you count Ford's own FRPP CAI, my racing expereince pretty much consisted of letting the clutch out at 1800 rpm and going <--- but I digress Got a Mcleod flywheel and RXT clutch setup to replace my stocker along with the Cobrajet fluid line (not needed but I've read where the steel/braided line improves clutch feel) so I'll see how that works. If it craps out in 20k like the stocker, well then I guess it really is more expensive to own than a 911 with C/C brakes.

Quick Reply: 5.0s bad traction?