Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

5.0 Mustangs Coyote article

Search this Thread

Old 2/19/10, 10:28 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5.0 Mustangs Coyote article

I know this article was talked about in another thread but it got tedious reading all the non-related BS.

The article is online here: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ine/index.html

I was just wondering if you guys who are ordering manual tranny cars had read the part of this article that dealt with the MT82 6 speed?

Says that it will have "Skip Shift" built into it, making the shift from first gear take you to forth gear bypassing second and third at low speeds.

There's a bit of bad news: The MT82 Coyote applications feature skip shift. That's where the shifter will only go from First to Fourth if you shift within a certain speed range. Ask any Corvette driver: This is a curse-at-the-moon imposition in the name of fuel economy.
It also says the MT82 torque capacity is only 375 lb-ft. So there for sure will be torque reduction built into the ECM strategy for the shifts.

It's a great article for those into the tech side of the engine design, clears up a lot of mis-information that is out there on the web.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 2/20/10 at 10:04 PM.
Old 2/19/10, 10:48 PM
eci
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The trans is a bummer for sure. Don't worry about the skip shift. If you are going for big power the trans will be a weak link and you will need a TR6060 if you want to stay manual.

To avoid any flames, "bummer" doesn't mean it is a piece of ****, it just means it isn't going to survive big mods.

Last edited by eci; 2/19/10 at 10:50 PM.
Old 2/19/10, 11:05 PM
GTR Member

Well, I'm sure nobody is going to want to buy a new Mustang and then swap the tranny out.

Looks like the 6 spd. auto might be a better choice for those looking to go to a power adder. Of course those people would still be looking at a piston/rod swap if they really want to go big.

Wonder what Shelby is doing for the GT350 supercharged engine? Still waiting to see the details on it. Maybe that is the big reason the cost is so high on the GT350 package...

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 2/20/10 at 10:05 PM.
Old 2/19/10, 11:07 PM
eci
Banned

Shelby isn't doing crap to the engine as per usual. Shelby sucks. Yeah, I drive one, it says Shelby on it, but I know it's an SVT Cobra. The cost is high on the 350 because Shelby wants 300% profit margins.

Last edited by eci; 2/19/10 at 11:09 PM.
Old 2/19/10, 11:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

From my personal experience and from what I've seen, I can tell you that there's more than a few cars in my city that put well over 650+ RWHP that came from the factory with a getrag and the capacity was only for 361lbtq.

I would be more concerned about that capacity of the clutch that that of the transmission.
Old 2/19/10, 11:36 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Says that it will have "Skip Shift" built into it, making the shift from first gear take you to forth gear bypassing second and third at low speeds.
Yeah that was covered in another thread too. Easy to override.

PS: thanx for the link!

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/19/10 at 11:41 PM.
Old 2/20/10, 12:13 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by eci
Shelby isn't doing crap to the engine as per usual. Shelby sucks. Yeah, I drive one, it says Shelby on it, but I know it's an SVT Cobra. The cost is high on the 350 because Shelby wants 300% profit margins.
Say Bud, I want to ask you nice and polite not to start throwing out the derogatory and sour comments on this thread like showed up in the other thread where this 5.0 Mustangs article was being discussed.

Can you handle that?

I'm sure all on here would sure appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Old 2/20/10, 12:15 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Yeah that was covered in another thread too. Easy to override.

PS: thanx for the link!
What's the fix? Does it use a solenoid like the vette used?

Old 2/20/10, 12:50 AM
eci
Banned

Say Bud, I want to ask you nice and polite not to start throwing out the derogatory and sour comments on this thread like showed up in the other thread where this 5.0 Mustangs article was being discussed.

Can you handle that?

Thanks in advance!
The truth hurts.
Old 2/20/10, 08:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you handle that?

Thanks in advance!

I thought that guy was Banned!
Old 2/20/10, 08:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm wondering if it would be better to order the '11 with the auto and a gear, although it goes against everything I stand for.

Someone probably has more information, but didn't the Getrags in the Challenger RT have issues?
Old 2/20/10, 09:59 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 825LTRGT
I'm wondering if it would be better to order the '11 with the auto and a gear, although it goes against everything I stand for.

Someone probably has more information, but didn't the Getrags in the Challenger RT have issues?
No optional gear with the auto tranny.

Optional gear for manual tranny is like $395, about what it would cost to have a gear swapped into it but then you would also have to figure out about calibrating the ECM for the gear.

The ECM's on the '11 is a new one so who knows, maybe it can be re-flashed for a gear change.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 2/20/10 at 10:06 PM.
Old 2/20/10, 12:26 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes. It was something to do with a solenoid that would defeat the factory settings.
Old 2/20/10, 01:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by eci
The truth hurts.
Not as much the truth itsell than the way things are said. Let's just keep everything flowing well here. And i guess we're all old enough to understand what that means.
Old 2/20/10, 01:44 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yep exactly, the "Camaro5" guys have had the same issue and found the fix we'll be using as well. No big deal. Well i hope.
Old 2/20/10, 04:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
When are you guys going to learn tha eci is some punk kid trolling for arguments. I mean come on.....if you live in beutiful San Diego California and owned a sweet Kona 2010 GT500 then why would you spend so much time online arguing and insulting people on mustang forums....eci is a 15 year old kid.

Can you handle that?

Thanks in advance!
Old 2/20/10, 05:24 PM
GT Member

Good, cause my scan of the article got blocked by photobucket.

As far as the tranny is concerned, what is the 3650 rated at? I make 499hp and it's held up ok so far. It's notchy as hell, but it was like that factory stock. I guess my point is that a factory rating is not the end all be all of it. Before some make blanket statements about what the car can and can't do maybe we should wait until it actually comes out. By the end of this summer I would imagine we'll have a much clearer picture of its abilities and modability .
Old 2/20/10, 06:26 PM
GTR Member

Don't think anyone is making any "blanket statements", just speculating right now.

I for one always like things to be over-engineered so long as the weight penalty isn't too bad.

And any tranny can hold up so long as you don't abuse it much.

I've been reading what I can find about the 6R80 auto tranny and it looks like a very interesting unit. And as the Ford auto tranny nomenclature goes, the 80 in 6R80 is the torque capacity indicator, meaning this tranny is rated to 800 lb.ft. Of course that doesn't take into account torque multiplication from the converter but with the motor making 390 lb.ft. it should be right in the ballpark.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 2/20/10 at 10:06 PM.
Old 2/20/10, 07:29 PM
GT Member

Don't think anyone is making any "blanket statements", just speculating right now.

I for one always like things to be over-engineered so long as the weight penalty isn't too bad.

And any tranny can hold up so long as you don't abuse it much.

I've been reading what I can find about the 6R80 auto tranny and it looks like a very interesting unit. And as the Ford auto tranny nomenclature goes, the 80 in 6R80 is the torque capacity indicator, meaning this tranny is rated to 800 lb.ft. Of course that doesn't take into account torque multiplication from the converter but with the motor making 390 lb.ft. it should be right in the ballpark.
Oh I abused mine all spring and summer long...still ok (minus the clutch).

As far as blanket statements go it wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular, just seems there's a lot of "certainty" on various Mustangs sites about what a car that's not even out yet can or can't do. Speculation is all well and good, I'll render my opinion on it when the car's out and in the hands of modders.
Old 2/20/10, 08:21 PM
GTR Member

Something else I read about the 6R80, and is probably why Ford isn't offering any 3.55 or 3.73 gear options with it, it has a super steep first gear ratio. First gear in the 6R80 is 4.14:1 !

With that low of a first gear I sure wouldn't want any rear ratio lower than the 3.15 that comes in it.

That gives an overall first gear ratio of 13.041:1, that is a stouter first gear ratio than a fox Mustang with a Z ratio T5 with a 2.95 first gear and a 4.30 rear gear combo.

That 6R80 equipped car should really haul it off the line!

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 2/20/10 at 09:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 5.0 Mustangs Coyote article