Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

5.0 How's the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/11, 05:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
Every car is new at some point and in the parts of the country where it snows they all get driven in the winter . . . sure it would be great to afford the luxury of a mustang that only goes out on nice days in the summer . . . but for me it was a choice of a mustang that gets driven all year or no mustang at all . . . and I'm really not sure that the depreciation cost on two cars, one for the summer and one for the winter, would be any less than one mustang that is driven through the winter.
Massachusetts mustang driver ftw
Old 2/1/11, 06:13 AM
GT Member

Every New England vehicle I've owned changed from: bad-to-okay, to: better than a Jeep by usage of four snow-only tires during the winter.

The Bridgestone Blizzak tire is great and appropriate for this vehicle.

Remember that the traction control and stability control systems wear the rear brakes and will kill rear brake life if depended upon to maintain stability.
Old 2/1/11, 07:55 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Huskernation
Just curious how everyone is doing in the snow? I have a 2011 gt but opted for the stock 18" rims and all weathers. I live in Nebraska (big surprise by my name) and have been impressed so far. Prior to my stang I had two explorers. I really expected to have to pick up a junker for the winter but so far so good. We have been lucky only having two 6-8" snows so far but with the traction control I have managed fine so far and did not feel the need for a junker. I dropped two 70lbs sand bags in the back and no problems. I do have to say I work from home so have only put on 5k since july but when I needed to get out the car did well.

hehe...where you from i am in wayne, i love my car in the snow, advancetrac is the best ever!
Old 2/1/11, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

I have been driving mine in the snow with no problems at all and l live in the Ontario snow belt.

I did get a different set or rims and full snow tires as I have the BBP. Drive it properly and it handles the snow just fine, it will get "fishy" with a heavy foot but I have not had any scary moments even in several inches of snow on the roads near me.

The car gets washed regulary including the underside and will get a good going over when the white stuff is gone. Personally I bought the car to drive it not park it - I have a motorcycle that I park up during winter.
Old 2/1/11, 09:39 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by CHDS PNY
hehe...where you from i am in wayne, i love my car in the snow, advancetrac is the best ever!
I am in Omaha. I lived in Wayne for about 5 years when I was a kid.
Old 2/1/11, 12:10 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Huskernation
I am in Omaha. I lived in Wayne for about 5 years when I was a kid.
weird
Old 2/1/11, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Put Michelin X-ice 2 on the stock 18" rims, handles great in the winter. No problems yet, starts good, stops good and if you aren't an idiot with the gas the traction control barely kicks in. I probably could of gotten a junker for the winter for what the snow tires cost, but why buy a new car to drive it for a few months out of the year. Like someone else said its a $35K car, not a limited Edition Ferrari. I grew up driving rear wheel drive cars and have owned AWD and 4x4 trucks, not saying the Mustang is anywhere near as good, but to call people who choose to drive theirs in the snow a "tard" just makes you the "tard" really.
Old 2/1/11, 01:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just put the LM-60Blzzaks with the 18" SVT wheels on my GT. Ordered from Tire Rack on Jan 21st and delivered on the 26th, installed that night. So far so good, but we really have not had any snow this year. A couple of inches here and there. It has been cold this past week, but last week in the 50's when I put the new wheels and tires on. I used to keep the Mustangs in the garage for the winter, but at my age, drive it all year, and really enjoy it. Here is a photo, with the winter set up;
Attached Thumbnails 5.0 How's the snow?-winter-wheels-2011.jpg  
Old 2/1/11, 04:13 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I just put the LM-60Blzzaks with the 18" SVT wheels on my GT. Ordered from Tire Rack on Jan 21st and delivered on the 26th, installed that night. So far so good, but we really have not had any snow this year. A couple of inches here and there. It has been cold this past week, but last week in the 50's when I put the new wheels and tires on. I used to keep the Mustangs in the garage for the winter, but at my age, drive it all year, and really enjoy it. Here is a photo, with the winter set up;
Same setup as me! You'll really enjoy it
Old 2/1/11, 05:02 PM
Banned

Just by a 500 dollar beater for the winter!! I'm not saying to but another 40,000 dollar vehicle just for the winter....my winter jeep cost me $1000 only!!! I'm sure if you bought a $40,000 mutant you can afford a $1000 beater for the winter!!
Old 2/1/11, 05:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Daddyd666
Just by a 500 dollar beater for the winter!! I'm not saying to but another 40,000 dollar vehicle just for the winter....my winter jeep cost me $1000 only!!! I'm sure if you bought a $40,000 mutant you can afford a $1000 beater for the winter!!
Call me picky but I certainly wouldn't trust a $500+ car to NOT leave me stranded at some point in the cold, snow and ice. I find my GT easier in the snow than my F150 4x2 I got rid of.
Old 2/1/11, 07:00 PM
Banned

To each their own. I "personally", once the Mustang gets here, have 3 vehicles; not including my wife's car.

The oldest of the 3 will be an '05. Each vehicle has its purpose.

The Mustang is my summer "toy". No, it won't be taken out only on weekends. BUT I work 5-7 days a week, 60 miles round trip. Gas is $4.50 a gallon here. I'll probably drive the car 3 days a week to work, more if the weather is nice and thr roads aren't ripped up from construction.

My daily driver is an '05 Focus ST. It's cheap on gas, spunky enough for spirited driving, and stable in all weather. I have 3 sets of tires: 15" snows, the 16" stockers and 18" Momos with summer only tires. This is the vehicle I put the most miles on.

My winter/sidejob/offroading truck is an '08 FX4 Ranger. Love the truck, but it's got a drinking problem. It loves gas.

If I didn't have the other vehicles already, I would drive the Mustang in the winter, but lf that was the case I'd probably buy the cheapest one I could get. I don't see the point in spending a lot of money on a car to run into the ground.
Old 2/1/11, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

I can understand some of yall wanting to baby your cars but we dont all live in sadn diego or hawaii so we camt afford that luxury. Personally i buy a car to be driven, not to store and only drive in nice weather. It was created for a purpose and im pretty sure it wasnt to collect dust in a garage. I drive my 02 in the snow, rain, construction zones, just about everything and it still looks brand new. As long as you take care of your car right they can handle tough weather and still be beautiful and running for years to come
Old 2/1/11, 10:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Hawaii 5.0
I can understand some of yall wanting to baby your cars but we dont all live in sadn diego or hawaii so we camt afford that luxury. Personally i buy a car to be driven, not to store and only drive in nice weather. It was created for a purpose and im pretty sure it wasnt to collect dust in a garage. I drive my 02 in the snow, rain, construction zones, just about everything and it still looks brand new. As long as you take care of your car right they can handle tough weather and still be beautiful and running for years to come
Yuuup
Old 2/1/11, 10:54 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been fortunate that my car hasn't seen snow or ice this year. I have a spare vehicle, but that luxury is going away next year when that car becomes my sister's first car.

I will be getting a set of winter wheels and tires, and taking the car out daily. I've had performance vehicles in the snow before, and almost learned my lesson a few years ago because I knew very little about tires. I've come a long way since then. I now see the reason why winter tires make a world of difference, and summer tires in cold weather are a recipe for disaster.

If you can afford a beater, then go for it. If you want to drive it year round, go for it. Just be safe whichever path you choose. Take any vehicle that will see winter duty to a snowy parking lot and learn its limits. Those 20-30 minutes you spend might be the difference in thousands of dollars and saving you from an accident. You wouldn't go to a track and go ***** out first lap if it was your first time on the track or in a particular car, so why do that in the snow?
Old 2/2/11, 06:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I've been fortunate that my car hasn't seen snow or ice this year. I have a spare vehicle, but that luxury is going away next year when that car becomes my sister's first car.

I will be getting a set of winter wheels and tires, and taking the car out daily. I've had performance vehicles in the snow before, and almost learned my lesson a few years ago because I knew very little about tires. I've come a long way since then. I now see the reason why winter tires make a world of difference, and summer tires in cold weather are a recipe for disaster.

If you can afford a beater, then go for it. If you want to drive it year round, go for it. Just be safe whichever path you choose. Take any vehicle that will see winter duty to a snowy parking lot and learn its limits. Those 20-30 minutes you spend might be the difference in thousands of dollars and saving you from an accident. You wouldn't go to a track and go ***** out first lap if it was your first time on the track or in a particular car, so why do that in the snow?
Spot on....but with 30 cm's outside today...im glad my stang in safe under a cover in the garage lol....you should have seen how much salt they threw down...the whole road was corvered in salt last night...it made me cringe at the thought of driving any car over the roads
Old 2/2/11, 07:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LLZuB
...the whole road was corvered in salt last night...it made me cringe at the thought of driving any car over the roads
Yeah, I'm going to be making the 50km trek from Oakville home to Hamilton shortly. It makes me wonder, I drive a lot in the US (US citizen) and I've been all over and I've never seen anywhere put down as much salt as they do up here in Canada.

I mean, everything gets COATED in salt. That's what I appreciate about my FX4 -- rubber floors. Just open the doors and hose it out ...
Old 2/2/11, 07:39 AM
Banned

A car is a car, it's suppose to be driven. I drive mine with stock P's in snow, nfp. I just take it easy. When it's really bad, I cab it.
Old 2/2/11, 08:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ssimaniac
A car is a car, it's suppose to be driven. I drive mine with stock P's in snow, nfp. I just take it easy. When it's really bad, I cab it.
If a cars a car...why arn't you driving a 1991 honda civic?
Old 2/2/11, 09:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by LLZuB
If a cars a car...why arn't you driving a 1991 honda civic?
It's true. A car is, in fact, a car, but in this case evidence suggests and qualified personnel ascertain that this is not a car. This is a Mustang.

I just happen to drive my GT as a... well, everything. It's the only vehicle I have.

Quick Reply: 5.0 How's the snow?