Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

5.0 How's the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 1/31/11, 06:28 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.0 How's the snow?

Just curious how everyone is doing in the snow? I have a 2011 gt but opted for the stock 18" rims and all weathers. I live in Nebraska (big surprise by my name) and have been impressed so far. Prior to my stang I had two explorers. I really expected to have to pick up a junker for the winter but so far so good. We have been lucky only having two 6-8" snows so far but with the traction control I have managed fine so far and did not feel the need for a junker. I dropped two 70lbs sand bags in the back and no problems. I do have to say I work from home so have only put on 5k since july but when I needed to get out the car did well.
Old 1/31/11, 06:39 PM
Banned

Wow I would never drive a new mustang in the winter!! Even if the car can handle it traction wise...not good! Get a junker!! Please
Old 1/31/11, 06:48 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Daddyd666
Wow I would never drive a new mustang in the winter!! Even if the car can handle it traction wise...not good! Get a junker!! Please
I figure I bought the car to drive so I will drive it when I can. Proper washing and waxing no doubt (indoor heated garage up the street). I know I run the risk of chips and such but it's not a 200k car. I was just impressed with how well it does.
Old 1/31/11, 06:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I was impressed with how well my 06 did/does also.
Old 1/31/11, 08:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Huskernation
I figure I bought the car to drive so I will drive it when I can. Proper washing and waxing no doubt (indoor heated garage up the street). I know I run the risk of chips and such but it's not a 200k car. I was just impressed with how well it does.
I know people up here that drive their Stangs all year around -- but more V6s than GTs. A good set of winter tires (obviously not the Brembo tires) and don't drive like an asshat and for the most part you'll be fine.

I think it's more common up here for Canadians to winter store their GTs, because up here a GT pushes up in price into what a Shelby goes for in the US. It's not because it can't take the snow it's because of the salt and grit and other idiots on the road driving their '91 Tercels on bald tires.

The '12 GT I just ordered, with taxes and delivery, stickers in at $51,000 Canadian (which is at par with the US Dollar).

Sticker, obviously not counting incentives and employee price. But it will top out well over $40G out the door. Which would lead me to believe my truck will see more snow in a day than my car will in a year.
Old 1/31/11, 08:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

My 02 handles pretty well surprisingly enough, just gotta be careful with the throttle but it doesnt take too much to bring her back in line. But nothing beats finding a huge open lot, turning traction control off, and goin drifting
Old 1/31/11, 08:41 PM
Bullitt Member

lol it's a mustang, not a Ferrari.

Drove the '11 w/pirelli all seasons in 3-4" of fresh powder on the freeway last weekend and it did really well as long as I kept it around 40-45 MPH. For stop and go street driving, I haven't had a single issue this season and its been a pretty brutal winter in Michigan (although not as bad as the east coast from what I hear). My '08 GT wasn't as good in the snow as this car.

Old 1/31/11, 08:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Does OAC_Sparky's explanation for why Mustang drivers in Canada would likely not drive a GT explain your thinking?
Old 1/31/11, 09:39 PM
GT Member

I think the notion of a "good driver" really plays into it. We had ice here in Omaha today and I had to get out. I made three stops in town and did fine. Wanna know who had problems? I was on a road that is 45mph doing 40mph (in ice that was probably too fast). Black honda passport passes me at least 60. No joke i say to myself "I wonder how many times that person has crashed?". Guess what at the next stop light? Black passport looked to have clipped the back of another car. I'll take a mustang and a brain over a 4x4 and a rock! Just watch out for the rocks driving around lol.

Last edited by Huskernation; 1/31/11 at 09:43 PM.
Old 1/31/11, 09:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
I know people up here that drive their Stangs all year around -- but more V6s than GTs. A good set of winter tires (obviously not the Brembo tires) and don't drive like an asshat and for the most part you'll be fine.

I think it's more common up here for Canadians to winter store their GTs, because up here a GT pushes up in price into what a Shelby goes for in the US. It's not because it can't take the snow it's because of the salt and grit and other idiots on the road driving their '91 Tercels on bald tires.

The '12 GT I just ordered, with taxes and delivery, stickers in at $51,000 Canadian (which is at par with the US Dollar).

Sticker, obviously not counting incentives and employee price. But it will top out well over $40G out the door. Which would lead me to believe my truck will see more snow in a day than my car will in a year.
Add another 10K to the price tag and I just might have opted for a junker. When I went with the 18" rims and all weathers it was with the intentions of an all year car unless things got really bad.
Old 1/31/11, 10:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by essque
Yeap, I bought this car to drive not to sit in a garage. It's not like I paid 75 or 100 grand for it; price-wise it's probably right around average for a car these days. Though it does pain me deeply to see it covered with salt and crud which is inevitable around here in the winter; I wash it often.

With a good set of snow tires it does great in the snow. Like Husker said ice is ice, 4x4's don't stop any better on ice than a Mustang or any other car. The traction control and stability control work real well, so well that I often turn them off to give myself some freedom to control the car myself. With them on you couldn't do a donut if you tried.

It wasn't so long ago that just about every car on the road was RWD, and most of them didn't even have posi rear-ends never mind traction control or stability control, and people got around through the winter.
Old 1/31/11, 10:33 PM
Banned

I didn't meen the car can't handle it or that it is to expensive to drive in winter it's just I respect the car to much to let it get ruined by the huge ruts in the road and salt and gravel and the cold starts an the bad drivers that slide into u.....maybe a older one like a 2004 v6 but not a brand new mustang!! But if you don't care enough about your mustang to not drive it in these conditions them by all means go for it!! Oh and then there is the fact that nobody is going to by a v8 mustang that gets driven all winter long....and the resale value will be way less or the fact that everyone that see's you driving a v8 stang in the winter is saying wow that guy is a tard he should give me that car so I can properly take care of it....
Old 1/31/11, 10:35 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by essque

Drove the '11 w/pirelli all seasons in 3-4" of fresh powder on the freeway last weekend and it did really well as long as I kept it around 40-45 MPH. For stop and go street driving, I haven't had a single issue this season and its been a pretty brutal winter in Michigan (although not as bad as the east coast from what I hear). My '08 GT wasn't as good in the snow as this car.
I just have to say it..... "Go Big Red" Huskers in the BIG 10 and looking forward to it. Prior to the Huskers being there Michigan was my favorite team in the 10. They are #2 now but it will be fun! Sorry, back to mustangs.
Old 1/31/11, 10:39 PM
GT Member

I didn't meen the car can't handle it or that it is to expensive to drive in winter it's just I respect the car to much to let it get ruined by the huge ruts in the road and salt and gravel and the cold starts an the bad drivers that slide into u.....maybe a older one like a 2004 v6 but not a brand new mustang!! But if you don't care enough about your mustang to not drive it in these conditions them by all means go for it!! Oh and then there is the fact that nobody is going to by a v8 mustang that gets driven all winter long....and the resale value will be way less or the fact that everyone that see's you driving a v8 stang in the winter is saying wow that guy is a tard he should give me that car so I can properly take care of it....
I get your point but I can tell you I can drive my stang in the winter with the right care and after 5 years it looks better than a stored car with improper care.
Old 1/31/11, 10:46 PM
GT Member

And a reply to the saying that they think us stang drives are tards!! I have driven rwd cars (prior to my explorers (which kinda were) many times. I drove by a "tard" in my stang in ice and got home no problem. I wonder if that person " that crashed" thought i was a tard?
Old 1/31/11, 10:53 PM
Banned

I think generally speaking, we tend to think everyone on the road EXCEPT yourself as a tard.

Human nature.

I drive a 4x4 in the winter when it's bad. I know it doesn't stop faster, but it has the tendency to not spin out as easy either. It doesn't give you free license to drive like an asshat -- just like anything else it's just a tool, but it's only as good as the person behind the wheel.

For every person in a 4x4 driving like an idiot I assure you that there's another idiot driving in the passing lane in their 2WD vehicle holding up traffic too afraid to change lanes because they're afraid they'll spin out.

And I'll guarantee you that both the 4WD and the 2WD drivers are calling each other "tards" in their own cars.
Old 1/31/11, 10:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by OAC_Sparky
I think generally speaking, we tend to think everyone on the road EXCEPT yourself as a tard.

Human nature.

I drive a 4x4 in the winter when it's bad. I know it doesn't stop faster, but it has the tendency to not spin out as easy either. It doesn't give you free license to drive like an asshat -- just like anything else it's just a tool, but it's only as good as the person behind the wheel.

For every person in a 4x4 driving like an idiot I assure you that there's another idiot driving in the passing lane in their 2WD vehicle holding up traffic too afraid to change lanes because they're afraid they'll spin out.

And I'll guarantee you that both the 4WD and the 2WD drivers are calling each other "tards" in their own cars.
I agree to a point. I would like to think most people on here are "better than the average driver" and understand the advantage of a manual in tricky situations.
Old 1/31/11, 11:02 PM
GT Member

Sorry I made the ASSumption everyone drives a manual, my bad. None the less, I think the readers of this, for the most part, are good drivers.
Old 2/1/11, 01:30 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
. . . . I respect the car to much to let it get ruined by the huge ruts in the road and salt and gravel and the cold starts an the bad drivers that slide into u.....not a brand new mustang!! But if you don't care enough about your mustang to not drive it in these conditions them by all means go for it!! Oh and then there is the fact that nobody is going to by a v8 mustang that gets driven all winter long....and the resale value will be way less or the fact that everyone that see's you driving a v8 stang in the winter is saying wow that guy is a tard he should give me that car so I can properly take care of it....
Every car is new at some point and in the parts of the country where it snows they all get driven in the winter . . . sure it would be great to afford the luxury of a mustang that only goes out on nice days in the summer . . . but for me it was a choice of a mustang that gets driven all year or no mustang at all . . . and I'm really not sure that the depreciation cost on two cars, one for the summer and one for the winter, would be any less than one mustang that is driven through the winter.
Old 2/1/11, 05:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
some people just can not afford a second car along with ins, the possibility of it breaking down and costing more money in the end than its worth. I had to drive my car through several winters before I was able to get a second car. A little snow and a little dusting of salt will not hurt the car, it just needs to be washed more often. I am so much cooler for driving my gt through winter than I am driving a honda civic LOL

Quick Reply: 5.0 How's the snow?