Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

3,141 Miles and ready for repair...

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/10, 08:29 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by assasinator
my transmission grinds at low rpm/part throttle shifts also.
So does mine
Old 8/31/10, 08:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

grinds sometimes with quick shifts into second hard to pull in or slight grind.. and sometimes difficult shifting into 3rd..

Last edited by pony racer; 9/2/10 at 05:48 AM.
Old 9/1/10, 07:53 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I just saw this thread, and I feel much better. I find my 6 sp is also "chipping" as I shift into 2nd. Not exactly a grind. I see the transmissions are Getrag, but made in China.

I have about 1500 miles on it, so I am going to watch it.

Does this thread need to be renamed and made a sticky, for future reference?
Old 9/1/10, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Well, I went to the dealer this morning and they told me to go back Tuesday since the tech I requested is bogged down.

Those of you who are grinding into second... don't just deal with it! Ford needs to know this is an issue. With one or two trickling in here and there it will get overlooked, but with everyone turning in their cars for a second gear grind, they may try to take some action to avoid more bad publicity beyond all the holds. Just a thought.
Old 9/1/10, 10:34 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Freshmeat
Well, I went to the dealer this morning and they told me to go back Tuesday since the tech I requested is bogged down.

Those of you who are grinding into second... don't just deal with it! Ford needs to know this is an issue. With one or two trickling in here and there it will get overlooked, but with everyone turning in their cars for a second gear grind, they may try to take some action to avoid more bad publicity beyond all the holds. Just a thought.
Right. If the 08 owners hadn't *****ed aplenty about 2-3 grinds in the Tremac there would not have been a TSB issued. But after it was issued many had parts or trannies swapped out under warranty.

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/1/10 at 10:38 AM.
Old 9/1/10, 01:19 PM

Shifting better cold than hot

Originally Posted by coffeejolts
--> My car shifts into second smooth as silk when it's cold. Once it warms up, it is much harder to shift from first to second.

Mine too. Shifts better when cold. Gets bad on hot days when the asphalt is cooking the underside during traffic crawl really warming things up. I also then get that clattering sound in the rear as if some cable/hose assembly is loose, never there when cold.
Old 9/1/10, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Right. If the 08 owners hadn't *****ed aplenty about 2-3 grinds in the Tremac there would not have been a TSB issued. But after it was issued many had parts or trannies swapped out under warranty.
I had mine fixed twice in my 08,first time rebuilt second time a new tranny. I bet it still does it to this day (sold it)
Old 9/1/10, 06:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

I'm too experiencing some noticeable grinding when shifting from 1st -2nd, i will do a software update of my Steeda tune tomorrow. Was told it should get rid of the skip shift feature annoyance and hopefully grinding as well. Will post my impressions on the 1-2 shift as soon as i can drive the car .

Last edited by montreal ponies; 9/1/10 at 06:18 PM.
Old 9/2/10, 12:52 PM
Bullitt Member

I spoke with a local axle/gear guru who says the axle whine is almost guaranteed to be from the poly bushings in the control arms allowing more noise to transfer. He said if it's actually a bad install it would have made noise sooner and been much worse. He recommends I give it a few thousand miles and see if it worsens before I have the dealer tear into it, but he's confident the sounds is from the control arms. Still turning it in to have the 1-2 shift addressed, though. Oh- and to have the passenger mirror replaced.
Old 9/2/10, 07:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I've noticed a little notchy issue with the 1-2 shift when cold but I've adapted to it and It's not a problem. I have to make sure I keep the shifter to the left as much as possible during the shift and it goes right into 2nd with ease.

once warm it shifts smooth with no issue.I dont know how to explain this but once I went to the BBR 91oct tune,the transmission seemed to shift much smoother in all gears and rpm's across the board.

It feels like the tune has matched the engine better with the transmission and I can shift quicker and with more precision than before.I know it sounds strange but with over 4k miles on my car I have noticed quite a few things.

I have 3.73 gears with no whine,only a slight noise when starting out in second gear.
Old 9/8/10, 02:32 PM
Bullitt Member

The "Hotline" says grinding into second gear is normal and after break-in it won't do it.

What part of 3,000+ miles indicates it's not broken in?!

Do I find another dealer or do I just keep going until something snaps?
Old 9/8/10, 03:59 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If I were you I would have taken it in at 600 miles at first notice of a problem, not sure why you waited so long, first time I started grinding second I took it in to the dealer, took a ride, 2 days later new synchros. waiting to make something even worse then complaining that it got worse doesn't make much sense.
Old 9/8/10, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I work 60+ hours a week. That doesn't lend itself to a dealer visit every time I hear a new noise.
Old 9/8/10, 05:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Freshmeat
I work 60+ hours a week. That doesn't lend itself to a dealer visit every time I hear a new noise.
Days off, rental car, catch a ride, drop it off? (I see you have more than one car) you went 2,541 miles KNOWING there was something wrong or going wrong with your car?

Last edited by fdjizm; 9/8/10 at 05:06 PM.
Old 9/8/10, 06:07 PM
Bullitt Member

And after it got worse and I wasted a total of eight hours of work to have the dealer inspect it they told me it's a combination of my imagination and something the manufacturer expects. So what was accomplished?

At least they replaced the mirror assembly.
Old 9/8/10, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

...and yes. I own multiple vehicles. One has trail-only bias-ply tires and the other has a wiring problem I don't have time to diagnose because when I'm not working I'd rather spend time with my family. In case you're not catching on, I'm not appreciative of your judgemental attitude. Ideally, yes- I'd have turned it in immediately, but ideally, I wouldn't have to turn in for repairs a $37,000 car less than two months after I bought it.
Old 9/8/10, 06:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 01PonyGT
Really? Mine's just the opposite. Grinds into 2nd when it's cold, but smooth as silk after about 5 minutes of driving. I only have 2700 miles so far.
wow.. you're local to me.. I work at PSU Abington...
Try changing the trans fluid to Royal purple syncroshift.. That will help
Old 9/8/10, 06:25 PM
Cobra Member

delete.. double post

Last edited by topbliss; 9/8/10 at 06:26 PM.
Old 9/8/10, 06:28 PM
Cobra Member

no way. A Chinese trans??? for real???

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
I just saw this thread, and I feel much better. I find my 6 sp is also "chipping" as I shift into 2nd. Not exactly a grind. I see the transmissions are Getrag, but made in China.

I have about 1500 miles on it, so I am going to watch it.

Does this thread need to be renamed and made a sticky, for future reference?
Old 9/8/10, 06:57 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
if its at all like the old 5 speeds, it wont get better with time...my 3rd time at the track I ground the heck out of second powershifting at redline- it didnt like it...it would lock out of second daily, and absolutely would lock out at over 4000, put up with it almost a year- changed to royal purple synchromax, and immediately 3rd felt like it just fell into place(powershifting to third/barking no problem) and within a hour second was like new...however a few more trips to the track and...well abusive shifting takes its toll on the synchros. on second hotlap at a near empty track it kinda almost ground- you know when it just catches a gear and you feel the couple clicks in the shifter that say 'that was close'...hotlapped again and second ground severely- still dunno why but the shifter actually popped out and felt 1/2 inch to the left of where it always was before...I replaced the shifter with one from a 09(same as used in 08 bullitt) and its nice/in the right position again, but still...I better behave at the track next time.

anyone with a 05-08 non bullitt needs to try a 09 takeout shifter or something even better- I cannot believe how sloppy the original shifter was- the ball/bushings were still tight, but the rubber isolator in the handle was pretty darn soft.

I drove a 09 GT500 6 speed, it shifted nice - is that the same tranny/shifter in the 11?

Quick Reply: 3,141 Miles and ready for repair...