Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

28.81 MPG !!

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/10, 11:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,520 Likes on 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by fritzOSU03
Consistent RPMs (on a flat, straight road anyway).
yes cruise control helps maximize MPG by keeping the speed constant -- but that wasn't the question

On a slightly off-topic / sort-of-related note, I really like my manual transmission because I use neutral like a sixth gear (yeah I know for you 2011 guys it would be seventh ) . . . whenever I see a downhill coming, or if I know I will need to stop soon, I pop it in neutral and coast . . . you'd be amazed how long you can do this . . . I'm sure it helps (at least a little) with the MPG's, on my mixed highway / back roads commute (only a few stop lights, mostly 50-70 mph cruise) I've been getting 27-28.

ps / edit -- I see we were all posting at the same time . . . my experience with the computer is that it is very accurate if you reset it when you fill the tank (which is the same time that I log the mileage and gallons used) regardless of whether you use cruise control or not (I have never used cruise control)

Last edited by Bert; 6/28/10 at 11:46 AM. Reason: ps
Old 6/28/10, 11:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bert
yes cruise control helps maximize MPG by keeping the speed constant -- but that wasn't the question
You're right constant RPMs having an effect but I was responding to resetting the MPG while already up to full speed versus factoring in the initial take-off. This makes a huge difference in short term numbers. On the other hand, if you set it and forget it, it works out long term.
Old 6/28/10, 12:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,520 Likes on 1,039 Posts
Originally Posted by fritzOSU03
. . . I was responding to resetting the MPG while already up to full speed versus factoring in the initial take-off. This makes a huge difference in short term numbers. On the other hand, if you set it and forget it, it works out long term.
ah, OK, now I get it -- to get pure highway MPG (meaning the highest possible number) you want to be already up to speed on the highway . . . to me "real world" highway MPG includes getting on and off the highway, but now I understand what you are saying . . .

anyway, like you say, the "Average MPG" does give average MPG, measured from the time you reset it to the time you read it -- including all of the miles traveled and all of the gallons burned, even if you burn them while idling
Old 6/28/10, 07:06 PM
GT Member

I drove down to the beach this weekend and back, 245 miles round trip. Speed was 65 most of the trip except for a few small towns and some heavy traffic. Filled up before I left. MPG indicator said I averaged 30.3 for the trip and I pulled in the driveway with over half a tank left. So I topped the tank off and it took less than 8 gallons. I have 457 miles on my car right now. Very pleased with the mpg and also the power WHEN I needed to pass a slow car. Love my Mustang!
Old 6/29/10, 12:53 AM

Which gears do you have...3.31? If so, that's pretty good.
Old 6/29/10, 06:56 AM

Wow, that's great! It's not even broken in yet. Did you have the top down?
Old 8/12/10, 11:41 AM
Bullitt Member

nice man, you have me beat atm. My average is still 26.4 because i have to much fun accelerating to 70 while getting on the freeway >_<

Here is my best which only lasted about 20 minutes because of SoCal Traffic made it go back down to 32.1 MPG

^ i took this pic while doing around 45 MPH

Last edited by Dreamtheory; 8/12/10 at 11:49 AM.
Old 8/12/10, 12:07 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Showing those pics of the MPG instant readout are not representitive of any actual mileage for a tankfull. Back when I owned a 18 wheeler that had a MPG readout I could get it to max out at 99.9 MPG when going downhill but it sure wasn't really getting 99.9 MPG overall.
Old 8/12/10, 12:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Clearly his foot is off the gas... look at the RPMs. 38.8 ain't that great when you're not pushing the pedal.
Old 8/12/10, 12:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Showing those pics of the MPG instant readout are not representitive of any actual mileage for a tankfull. Back when I owned a 18 wheeler that had a MPG readout I could get it to max out at 99.9 MPG when going downhill but it sure wasn't really getting 99.9 MPG overall.
^1. your a very negative person. I have been reading your responses to everyone posting there mileage and i think you just mad you didn't wait one more year to upgrade.

^2. I would never post a picture of this unless it was real. And i know exactly what your talking about, because i reset my meter and went on a down hill slope and it hit 64.2 MPG.

^3. I was actually maintaining that MPG more than a few minutes, i was doing roughly 45-55 MPH, i don't recall the actual speed because i was to busy trying to hold my phone steady to get a clear pic. Oh and plus the window sticker shows that ford estimates people will get up to 37 MPG =)

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
Clearly his foot is off the gas... look at the RPMs. 38.8 ain't that great when you're not pushing the pedal.
Your obviously not very bright,
^1. My foot had just come off the gas because everyone starting breaking in front of me. I was on the incline going from the 405 South to 105 East interchange. If you know the area then you know the traffic.

^2. If I wasn't pushing the gas pedal obviously the MPG would DROP dramatically because I was stopping cuz of the traffic. And as we all know. If you stop and your motor is still running, your MPG is going to continually drop.

Last edited by Dreamtheory; 8/12/10 at 12:34 PM.
Old 8/12/10, 12:39 PM
V6 Member

I got mine last night and have burned about 3/4 of a tank thus far at 11.8 mpg. But I have enjoyed everyone of them!

Last edited by 1969 Boss429; 8/12/10 at 12:49 PM.
Old 8/12/10, 12:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 1969 Boss429
I got mine last night and am have burned about 3/4 of a tank thus far at 11.8 mpg. But I have enjoyed everyone of them!
LOL i did the same thing the first 3 days i had mine, 3 days and 2 full tanks >_< =P
Old 8/12/10, 12:44 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Dreamtheory
^1. your a very negative person. I have been reading your responses to everyone posting there mileage and i think you just mad you didn't wait one more year to upgrade.

^2. I would never post a picture of this unless it was real. And i know exactly what your talking about, because i reset my meter and went on a down hill slope and it hit 64.2 MPG.

^3. I was actually maintaining that MPG more than a few minutes, i was doing roughly 45-55 MPH, i don't recall the actual speed because i was to busy trying to hold my phone steady to get a clear pic. Oh and plus the window sticker shows that ford estimates people will get up to 37 MPG =)

Your obviously not very bright,
^1. My foot had just come off the gas because everyone starting breaking in front of me. I was on the incline going from the 405 South to 105 East interchange. If you know the area then you know the traffic.

^2. If I wasn't pushing the gas pedal obviously the MPG would DROP dramatically because I was stopping cuz of the traffic. And as we all know. If you stop and your motor is still running, your MPG is going to continually drop.
I think what you mean is I'm not fully aware of the context. I suspect I'm far more intelligent than you.

Also, again, read more. Ltngdrvr isn't negative as you have asserted. Just factual.

Also, again, slow your roll Lone Ranger... no need to pick fights here by making personal attacks.
Old 8/12/10, 12:49 PM
GTR Member

No, not just being negative, trying to make everyone realize that those MPG readouts are only the average of what the mileage is at the instant it reads out, not the average that you will see when you fill the tank and calculate the mileage against actual miles driven.

If you were to stop and fill the tank at EXACTLY the moment it turned to that high MPG number it still wouldn't calculate out to that MPG.

It obviously is getting good fuel economy but the only accurate measure is to fill the tank and calculate the gallons against miles driven.

Do that then report back as to the REAL MPG.
Old 8/12/10, 02:03 PM
Bullitt Member

No, not just being negative, trying to make everyone realize that those MPG readouts are only the average of what the mileage is at the instant it reads out, not the average that you will see when you fill the tank and calculate the mileage against actual miles driven.

Well at least you can admit your being negative, your corvette loving buddy there seems to think your not negative. And its not your job to put others down, your not paid to come on these forums and make them seem dumb (Which your obviously trying to do). They are happy about the gas mileage they see. There seeing it, not you. that watch it, not you. Let them have their glory of having a muscle car with good MPG.

It obviously is getting good fuel economy but the only accurate measure is to fill the tank and calculate the gallons against miles driven.

Well duh, I don't see how these people are not doing that...

Do that then report back as to the REAL MPG.

When they start their car, the MPG Reader resets to the Average over all for all the miles they have put on the car. They know what the MPG they are getting. They cant miss it, It shows it every time they start there car, Just like mine does. And as you see in this thread and in the other mileage thread that is going on right now, people reset after they fill their tank's. So they always know every week what there correct mileage is.
Old 8/12/10, 02:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by corvettedreamin
Clearly his foot is off the gas... look at the RPM's. 38.8 ain't that great when you're not pushing the pedal.
lol i gotta quote this again...

You do realize some one could drive around 30 MPH get there MPG nice and high, and then punch the gas to make the RPM's go as high as they want and take a pic before the AVG MPG starts to drop on the meter...

so you pointing out that the RPM's are low doesn't actually prove anything, just like that if i took a shot right after getting 38.8 but with my RPM's at 5,000 doesn't mean anything as well...

Last edited by Dreamtheory; 8/12/10 at 04:39 PM.
Old 8/12/10, 02:09 PM
GTR Member

Well at least you can admit your being negative, your corvette loving buddy there seems to think your not negative. And its not your job to put others down, your not paid to come on these forums and make them seem dumb (Which your obviously trying to do). They are happy about the gas mileage they see. There seeing it, not you. that watch it, not you. Let them have their glory of having a muscle car with good MPG.

Well duh, I don't see how these people are not doing that...

When they start their car, the MPG Reader resets to the Average over all for all the miles they have put on the car. They know what the MPG they are getting. They cant miss it, It shows it every time they start there car, Just like mine does. And as you see in this thread and in the other mileage thread that is going on right now, people reset after they fill their tank's. So they always know every week what there correct mileage is.

Not trying to make anyone seem dumb, but your above statements just demonstrate your intelligence level...
Old 8/12/10, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Coming from someone from TexASS who likes to **** on peoples parade lol
Old 8/12/10, 04:23 PM
legacy Tms Member MEMORIAL Rest In Peace 10/06/2021

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts